home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tips and Tricks for First-Timers and Fanatics
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 07:19 PM   #1
PinkDisney29
Studio

Default Best Sunscreen for the Parks?

What sunscreen works best for you in the parks? We typically like to stick with mineral sunscreens most of the time but tend to use sun bum when in Florida. Usually lotion in the morning and then spray for reapplying. I feel like all sunscreen is soooo drying! Does anyone have a recommendation for a good moisturizing sunscreen? What sunscreen works best for you?

Also ladies...what do you do to reapply over makeup? Iíve been using tarte mineral powder but that too is a little drying and leaves my face pretty powdery. Has anyone tried any of the other options like this one that you feel works well?
PinkDisney29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:04 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Surprisingly, I do not use sunscreen in the parks. We do rope drop and are usually leaving the parks between 11 and noon, avoiding the worse of the sun. After our nap/pool time we will head back out to the parks after 5pm, those avoiding needing sunscreen.

I have no response for the make-up......
Old 10-09-2019, 09:17 AM   #3
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

we are all fair folks, who burn easily, especially me. I use the Banana Boat kids, SPF 50. It's thick, heavy, and takes forever to work in, so it's a PITA, but it works on us better than any other, so I try to stick with it when I can. I often find myself burning in Epcot, esp World Showcase, as it is a LOT of walking in the direct sun , no shade, to get around from country to country. I need to re-apply often.

Otherwise, we do bring some sort of stick to try and reapply at least to face.

In the FL heat, any makeup is off of me in an hour. I also have rosacea , and after about 15 mins in the sun, I look like I"m having heat stroke...but I'm not (yet) , but have had people ask if I"m ok....

I do try and just bring pressed powder and some sort of basic foundation , especially if we're eating lunch, taking pictures, etc. but I'm pretty clueless about best makeup or any tips on that. I'll ck w DD, she's WAY more into all of that....not sure where she got that from. ha

oh, and wear hats....Disney is the only place I'll do that, as most give headaches....but better than a burned scalp
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 09:40 AM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Look for one with a zinc oxide as the primary ingredient .
I use Aveeno positively mineral for sensitive skin spf 50. They also carry a face sun screen.

But for arms and legs prefer rash guards ( swim tees and leggings ) . They also keep you cool. I buy mine at Lands End during sales .

I skip makeup at WDW.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:00 AM   #5
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Neutrogenaģ Sheer Zinc Face Dry-Touch Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 50
Active ingredient: Zinc oxide 21.6% (sunscreen).

Inactive ingredients:
Water, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Octyldodecyl Citrate Crosspolymer, Styrene/Acrylates Copolymer, Phenyl Trimethicone, Cetyl PEG/PPG-10/1 Dimethicone, Dimethicone, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Glycerin, Ethyl Methicone,Cetyl Dimethicone, Silica, Colloidal Oatmeal, Tocopheryl Acetate, Chrysanthemum Parthenium (Feverfew) Flower/Leaf/Stem Juice, Glyceryl Behenate, Phenethyl Alcohol, Caprylyl Glycol, Cetyl Dimethicone/Bis-Vinyldimethicone Crosspolymer, Acrylates/Dimethicone Copolymer, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin
Old 10-09-2019, 11:06 AM   #6
John_B_Hall
Studio

Coppertone Sport is the best. Never runs into your eyes. I use the lotion for nose/checks/arms/legs. I reapply in parks with the spray, but the spray bottle doesn't last that long, so I use as much lotion as possible.
John_B_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:41 AM   #7
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

For the kids I like to use ThinkBaby or ThinkSport mineral sunscreens. My daughter, who is very fair, does well with this one, but my son, who naturally is more olive skin tone, gets really dried out from it. However, it works great at protecting their skin from the sun, smells amazing, and rubs in nicely. Since my son has been sensitive, I’ve tried SunBums sunscreen on him more recently. I feel like it’s preventing him from getting burned, but he has gotten quite the “farmer’s tan.”

For us adults, I’ll sometimes use the ThinkBaby or ThinkSport, but usually use an Alba Botanica sunscreen product.

For my face, I apply a moisturizer with sunscreen and wear a baseball cap most of the day. Sometimes I’ll reapply sunscreen just to my cheeks and nose while out at the parks.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
eandjmom
One Bedroom

For years we've been using Babyganics SPF 50. It is super thick and takes forever to rub in. But with a very fair-skinned family, I've got to be careful.

We also wear hats. I purchased a very expensive souvenir at Epcot because I burned my scalp on our very first visit! Now I bring it with every trip!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 11:57 AM   #9
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Just chiming in: I highly recommend a full-brimmed hat (not a baseball cap). I do wear sunscreen on my face and neck, but I do not worry about reapplying because the hat blocks a lot of the rays. I have not gotten sun burned in the world as of yet, and I am extremely fair.

My wife did a lot of research on sunscreen, and she agrees with JC: ThinkSport is one of the best.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #10
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
Just chiming in: I highly recommend a full-brimmed hat (not a baseball cap). I do wear sunscreen on my face and neck, but I do not worry about reapplying because the hat blocks a lot of the rays. I have not gotten sun burned in the world as of yet, and I am extremely fair.

My wife did a lot of research on sunscreen, and she agrees with JC: ThinkSport is one of the best.
I canít bring myself to wear a full-brimmed hat yet but you reminded me ... since I do wear a baseball cap, I always reapply sunscreen to my ears and neck! I think the ears get overlooked too often and Iíve known someone who got skin cancer on their ear, so Iím always mindful to protect that area.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote