home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 06:08 PM   #1
gopherit
Grand Villa

Default How ugly will it be... (reserving FPs)

My FP+ "Window of Opportunity" approacheth for our Dec 14-22 trip.

I've not had to do the FP+ ressies in a while - and especially not for a party of 9... at Xmas time. I'm already disgusted by the increasingly high demand on everything else (like rooms, dining) that pressure me to feel like I have to know EXACTLY where I'm gonna be, every hour of every day of our vacation, 180 days out, lol.

So when I try to make some FP+ selections for our group at 07:00:00 CT on Oct 15th, how much time should I allot for 6 days of FP setting?
Do I have to attack it like a well-oiled military manuever?
Will there be wailing and gnashing of teeth?
Will it leave me angry and frustrated?
Or will it be (somewhat) painless, and I should have all passes set (6 days, 9 people) within an hour, off on my merry way?

Just trying to budget how much time to allocate before hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go (and in what mental state I'll arrive!)
Old 10-08-2019, 06:26 PM   #2
Sephorin
Grand Villa

I would say an hour should be plenty if you have everything planned out ahead of time. (Park you are visiting on each day, rides you would like to do, and times you would like to do them.)

Try to do high demand rides (Flight of Passage, Slinky Dog Dash) on the last two days of your trip. Also, book them as soon as your window opens. Then you can go back and fill in the rest of the fast passes from the beginning.

Morning fast passes are in highest demand. If you are booking afternoon fast passes, you'll probably be less frustrated.

Good luck! And have a wonderful trip!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 06:29 PM   #3
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopherit View Post

I've not had to do the FP+ ressies in a while - and especially not for a party of 9... at Xmas time. I'm already disgusted by the increasingly high demand on everything else (like rooms, dining) that pressure me to feel like I have to know EXACTLY where I'm gonna be, every hour of every day of our vacation, 180 days out, lol.

So when I try to make some FP+ selections for our group at 07:00:00 CT on Oct 15th, how much time should I allot for 6 days of FP setting?
Or will it be (somewhat) painless, and I should have all passes set (6 days, 9 people) within an hour, off on my merry way?

Just trying to budget how much time to allocate before hi ho hi ho it's off to work I go (and in what mental state I'll arrive!)
Be prepared to have your days dictated by the FPs you are able to make. The tiering of attractions is very frustrating.

I “tried” to make FPs for our trip Dec 1-8. Right at the first day the only time I get Slinky Dog for 2 was the last day of our stay. Same for FOP but for the second to last day. Was lucky and was able to manage a 7 Dwarfs sometime in the middle. Hope you have better luck.
Old 10-08-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I just did it for an early Dec trip. It ended up not being too bad; I didn't need to change any park days, and was able to get the most difficult FPs. HS really stinks though. I only planned one day there, and was able to get Slinky Dog, but the tiering shuts out everything else you can't just walk into. It was so bad I used one for BATB stage show. At least I'll get to sit on the left with the cool people.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 10:25 PM   #5
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:

So when I try to make some FP+ selections for our group at 07:00:00 CT
FYI - the window opens at 7 eastern, not central.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickeyfan0805 View Post
FYI - the window opens at 7 eastern, not central.
Great for catching that. Absolutely correct.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 11:51 PM   #7
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:

Unfortunately, IMO, with the pressure of booking FP+ for that many ppl, you can expect your experience to be all of the above. It's stressful. You'll end up settling for times you did not have in mind at all and you'll most likely want or need to move around some ADRs to accommodate the FP+ schedule, if you have ADRs.

If Slinky Dog is a priority for you, and you have a HS day scheduled for the end of your trip, start with that day. Many suggest starting with your last day, but in my recent experience, I had a harder time trying to get SD than I did trying to get FoP, so I would go directly for your last HS day, if you want SD. Don't worry about the other two FP+ for that day, just move on to the next day near the end of your trip that you need to try to book another high demand ride for. Slinky Dog and FoP are probably the two hardest to get FP+ for at this point. Other tough ones to get good times for are ... Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, Peter Pan's Flight, and Frozen Ever After. Of course it's all a matter of preference, but those are the ones that I noticed to be the hardest to book good times for.

Definitely have a strategy going in and be prepared to be flexible on some days. Also, when I booked my FP+ last week, the link to view your plans while trying to book additional FP+ would not work for me, so when I was trying to go back and book the lesser priority FP+ and couldn't remember what I had booked already, it was super frustrating because it wouldn't let me see my plans. And I didn't write anything down while booking because it is a rushed process. Luckily, I had my cell phone on me too and I was checking my plans on the MDE app while booking my FP+ on my MacBook ... yeah, no stress lolol

Good luck!!
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 06:46 AM   #8
grayandry
Grand Villa

I booked our FPs for our day after Thanksgiving trip about a week ago. In my opinion, it was the worst planning I’ve ever had. Partly because, for the first time, the 6 people going aren’t doing the same FPs each day. The other was because of the new tiering system at HS. We were not able to get Slinky Dog. We were able to get FoP, but not when we wanted it.

That’s the first time in all of the years that we have been going that we weren’t able to get what we wanted when we wanted it.

So, good luck to you. I’ll be spending the next few weeks trying to adjust our FPs. I will say that the plans other people have given you are spot on.

Last edited by grayandry; 10-09-2019 at 07:05 AM.
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 08:01 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Last year, we had to book fastpasses for our group of 23. We had a group conference call at 6:50 am and had five of us booking blocks of fastpasses for our whole group. We broke it down into smaller groups of people, to make things work. We actually were able to et everything booked, including FoP for our group. I had to go in and manually tweak the times, but with the overlapping times, it all went well.

We were quite pleased with the results, since we had feared getting shut-out.

Best advice is be flexible. Grab a fastpass and adjust the time. Check back later in the day, the next day and at 30 days for additional availability.
Old 10-09-2019, 01:01 PM   #10
oufpat
Two Bedroom

As the planner for our group trips (10-12), I agree with tom and robin, be flexible, grab the times available, and continue to go back and check availability, especially at the 30 day mark. For our last trip, there was no availability for FOP at 60 days, but plenty at 30. Enjoy the madness of the planning, it's all part of the fun!
oufpat is offline   Reply With Quote