home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-08-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Default Article on ticket prcing

Article discussing Disney's new variable ticket pricing.

https://www.themeparkinsider.com/flu...cMFIRAioaukBrg

Personally, I think Disney has taken the ticket pricing too far. I see it here, on other forums and closer to home with Robin's travel agency.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:15 PM   #2
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post

Personally, I think Disney has taken the ticket pricing too far. I see it here, on other forums and closer to home with Robin's travel agency.
Curious what you are seeing, are people objecting more to the actual pricing or the perceived complexity of the pick your first day nonsense?

We get APs so don't have to deal with it but the new structure does seem unnecessarily complicated. Just make the tickets higher across the board over busier times and be done with it. People understand that.
Old 10-08-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
John_B_Hall
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
but the new structure does seem unnecessarily complicated.
Totally agree, keep it simple. Add more black out dates if it's an issue.
John_B_Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:31 PM   #4
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:

I also feel the pricing is too high and the structure is too. Now I have to decide the exact days I want to go? What if I cant get a fastpass on day one of my trip and instead want to go at the end of my trip but the pricing is different? If I'm trying to score FOP at like 4am in California by the time I could get the ticket dates switched and pay extra the fastpass is long gone. Also I thought I heard if you pay for a higher ticket and want to downgrade you don't get the difference back but if you need to upgrade of course you'll have to pay extra. It should go both ways. Disney wants us to know exactly what what were doing, eating, and where were staying so far out but they can't even release park schedules at those intervals, it's frustrating. I would like to know park hours to decide what day is a park day and what day might be a dinner at Narcoossees day when I have to book my ADRs. We have more resort days than park days lately. I know a lot of people would buy the multi day tickets and use a day or 2 at the beginning, then go on a cruise and then use a day or 2 after the cruise. Now you can't do that without paying extra to extend the use period of the ticket. It just adds to the paying more for less factor people are feeling. I just wish things were simpler (First world problems, I know)

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 03:33 PM   #5
pooh bears mom
Grand Villa

I did not read the article, but do think attendance has been changed. I think DVC has helped feed the cash cow as our APs make us a steady customer, however I have also noticed decreased crowds for the 4th of July. Yes its busy but not what it used to be. I think Disney is converting rooms to dvc to keep their rooms full. CCV at WL, poly and AKV, both hotels that had availability and at times reasonable, since the convert, the hotels have less supply which equals more demand, and the bungalows and cabins have shifted a lot of points into the system. Brilliant on Disney's part but unfair for the consumer. I think at these prices many families are considering going elsewhere.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:37 PM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubster View Post
Curious what you are seeing, are people objecting more to the actual pricing or the perceived complexity of the pick your first day nonsense?

Both....

Most families who go are uber, super nutty Disney lovers like us. The prices are insanely high for park tickets and the pricing structure is too much. Penalizes families who are not flexible with their days off or time of year. They read an advertised package, which usually uses the off peak days, then price out their trip and find the prices are higher.

Its just dumb. Throw in making ADRS at 180 days, fastpasses at 60 days. Explaining the MDE app and how to use the MBs in the parks. It really does blow peoples minds, especially first timers and those who only go every few years
Old 10-08-2019, 04:50 PM   #7
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:

A good indicator will be the soon to be released FYE results. Disney had reported attendance growth for the first two quarters. It was the third quarter that had a dip, which, if what Iger reported at the release of the third quarter is accurate, might be made up in the fourth quarter. If the 4th quarter reverts to growth in attendance, then I suspect Disney won't feel it has a problem. And if no growth in attendance but higher profitability, more better.

From the 2nd quarter report:
Operating income growth at our domestic theme parks and resorts was due to increased guest spending and higher attendance and occupied room nights at Walt Disney World Resort,

Iger's words on the third quarter results:
at Walt Disney World, our survey data suggests that guests are deferring visitation until after Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge opens which we believe contributed to the decline in attendance we saw during the third quarter.
Old 10-08-2019, 04:53 PM   #8
Great3
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

After paying $390 for 6 days base tickets for a WDW trip last year Aug/Sept. 2018, I booked one week at a WDW resort. (I actually got AKL Value studio - at 7 months mark, amazing, I know). Than I went to check tickets prices at UCT, and when I saw prices ranging from $470+ to almost $490, I was shocked at the prices. That's over 20% increase in ticket pricing, so I just released the 1 week AKL Value Studio .

While I can easily afford $500 tickets at WDW if I wanted, at $470+ per ticket (no park hopper even), no thanks, I will just keep on using my points for Aulani or rent out my points if I can't use it all. I am willing to pay for Hawaii, but not WDW. As much as I have fun and enjoy WDW, the value isn't there for me. Of course I will still go to WDW later, but it certainly won't be as often. I know, WDW doesn't need me, they have plenty of people (at least enough) willing to pay their pricing to visit.

I am probably in the minority here, as this is a DVC owners forum in how I feel, so sorry if my feelings doesn't match your love of WDW.

Great3
Great3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:59 PM   #9
a1000monkeys
Grand Villa

Something has to give. It’s always crowded. Magic Kingdom was packed yesterday.
Old 10-08-2019, 06:17 PM   #10
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Great3 View Post
After paying $390 for 6 days base tickets for a WDW trip last year Aug/Sept. 2018, I booked one week at a WDW resort. (I actually got AKL Value studio - at 7 months mark, amazing, I know). Than I went to check tickets prices at UCT, and when I saw prices ranging from $470+ to almost $490, I was shocked at the prices. That's over 20% increase in ticket pricing, so I just released the 1 week AKL Value Studio .

While I can easily afford $500 tickets at WDW if I wanted, at $470+ per ticket (no park hopper even), no thanks, I will just keep on using my points for Aulani or rent out my points if I can't use it all. I am willing to pay for Hawaii, but not WDW. As much as I have fun and enjoy WDW, the value isn't there for me. Of course I will still go to WDW later, but it certainly won't be as often. I know, WDW doesn't need me, they have plenty of people (at least enough) willing to pay their pricing to visit.

I am probably in the minority here, as this is a DVC owners forum in how I feel, so sorry if my feelings doesn't match your love of WDW.

Great3
We have much the same feelings about this issue but this is why we still buy APs and “hope” for a decent offer every other year or so. For us they are a no-brainer as we still get value with them. Now when they price us out of the Gold AP we will have a problem.