home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-17-2019, 11:04 AM   #1
SJSJ4
One Bedroom

Default Direct vs Resale 2019-2020

I am not sure how much this has been covered, and I apologize if I am asking questions that someone has asked - BUT
I have always bought SSR direct and all my add-ons have been direct with a excellent guide I have had for years , but due to a guide change and having her tell us if we don't buy now, the points won't probably be available ( even though we have always gone on a waitlist for SSR points to become available ) She said if they are even available in the next few month, they will also be at a higher price.

I am asking what the differences are in 2019-2020 by purchasing resale vs direct - and what is a reputable resale company to contact. THANK YOU to everyone who can give me some advice.
August 2017 - SSR GV with family
Jan 2017 - Split stay Fort Wilderness Cabin (loved it) and SSR Grand Villa(so nice!!)
Jan 2016 - OKW - Family had so much fun together!
Jan 2015 OKW - Another great trip with immediate family
Jan 2014 OKW - BEST TRIP EVER w/ my immediate family
Jan 2013 OKW,
Jan 2012 OKW,
Jan 2011 OKW,
Jan 2010 OKW,
Dec 2009 OKW,
Jan 2008 OKW
Dec 2007 - OKW,
Dec 2006 OKW
]an 2005 - SSR and FW Cabins
((June 2005 - New DVC Member)),
Jan 2004 - FWCabins,
Jan 2001 - FWCabins
1999 - Caribbean Resort
1996 - Outside Disney
1992 - Outside Disney
SJSJ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:16 AM   #2
bakerworld
Grand Villa

I am fairly certain we are done buying direct. We just bought a 30 point contract and paid almost the same as the 55 point contract we bought in 2012. I do have our name in with a resale company but we only want very small contracts so I don't have much hope.

I have to say that resale is not very attractive to me. I guess I just don't care that much about the $$ versus $$$$ because I like the immediacy of Direct.
Old 09-17-2019, 11:20 AM   #3
FessParker1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post

I have to say that resale is not very attractive to me. I guess I just don't care that much about the $$ versus $$$$ because I like the immediacy of Direct.
As I sit here waiting for points to load from my resale purchase watching reservations I would have taken disappear.
Old 09-17-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

Large contract go resale. Small contract go direct.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #5
Orion54
Two Bedroom

A lot of this is a personal decision. Are the direct benefits worth it vs. not having them via resale. In our case, direct is more important for the long run. We plan on gifting the contracts to our boys when they grow up and have their own families. We want them to have the direct benefits however they change. Resale looks good for us only if there is the right contract. We just added a small contract at VGF. We were able to get it immediately with 2018 points. I had tried waiting for a resale contract but everything was stripped and the small contract cost for resale was marginally different than direct. I know people say that "friend's don't let friend's buy direct" but those are the same people complaining that when DVD/DVC adds more restrictions to resale, that DVC is ruining their brand. The fact is DVD/DVC is protecting their brand and direct buyers. I'd rather DVC/DVD increase Direct benefits than take away but it's not up to me.

So in the long run you have to weigh what is important to you and your family.
Old 09-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #6
hilaw
Grand Villa

OP seems to have enough direct to access all benefits. They can just go with the savings with resale.
hilaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 04:33 PM   #7
Wonderdog4
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
Wonderdog4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 09:15 PM   #8
Duke3853
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

If you are referring to difference in price Direct purchase for SSR is $160/pp. Resale is anywhere from $95-110/pp. I would think that since you already have member benefits under your existing contracts you wouldn't need to spend the extra money by purchasing direct.
Duke3853 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #9
OLDDISNUT
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post

The last three contracts I bought were small and could not find them on resale. I went direct each time after getting tired of waiting for them. I ended up getting all of them within a week or two of calling in for them. The last one I got in two days after I called.
OLDDISNUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Even for small contracts, these days, I'd try to go resale. SSR should be easier than, say, BCV for example. Or add any resort with same UY. Direct is just too expensive. But, def go resale for larger contracts. Any of the big brokers are fine. Some more resposive than others but we've used several of them and would use any of them again. There is a search engine...google DVC search engine. You can then put in size, resort and UY of what your're looking for and get a list.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote