home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 07:39 PM   #1
MouseMagic
Studio

Default Riviera - Fixed Week/Incentive Question

Hi all,

We're likely to buy into Riviera. I had read online (several places) that fixed weeks qualified for the same incentives as the points not tied to a particular week. Since we don't own yet, we would like to have membership benefits and really do like the look of Riviera - we're going to go for it.

Because of that awful resale restriction we're trying to mitigate the risk on losing value through resale (should life force our hand) and suck it up, and go for that fixed week.

So I called my guide today and he told me that these fixed weeks don't qualify for any incentive.

Is there any chance he may not be aware of this?

Apologies if this is already explained someplace- I tried the search feature but it appears to be down.

Thank you !
MouseMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 07:56 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I found that there's a lot of guides that have never sold a fixed week and are woefully under educated about them.

I saw the report on the fixed week being discounted but never anything directly from Disney. The info came out in August for reference for you. I'd contact your guide again, give them the relative time frame, and tell them you'll make the purchase if the information on the discount applies to the fixed week. That should at least get them asking a supervisor about it.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #3
disney65
Add-on Aficionado

AFAIK fixed never qualified for point incentives in the past. Not that they can never offer incentives on fixed week.

Riviera is big, I believe you should be ok with direct points as well.

My Trip Reports

2015 Spring Poly/VGF
Wishes in Pics
Christmas 2014 HHI
2015 Christmas HHI and AKL
2016 - Atlantis Spring break
disney65 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:38 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney65 View Post
AFAIK fixed never qualified for point incentives in the past. Not that they can never offer incentives on fixed week.

Riviera is big, I believe you should be ok with direct points as well.

Well, correct it hadn't been done before.

However it was being reported just a few weeks ago that they started offering incentives on the fixed weeks at Riviera. It really started the speculation that sales are lower than they want them to be.

Now the increase just before the end of the fiscal year? I think we have our answer that it isn't quite what they want it to be.
Old 09-11-2019, 12:41 AM   #5
MMC1
Grand Villa

I would be looking for a different guide because Goofygirl is correct.
And huge resort becomes really evident when you look at it from the backside.
I thought the Grand Californian Resort ( not DVCside ) was a long walk around!
Just googled ...apparently GCResort at DL is 750 guest rooms and Riviera is only 300.
Better buy that fixed week! Haha
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 12:58 AM   #6
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
I found that there's a lot of guides that have never sold a fixed week and are woefully under educated about them.

I saw the report on the fixed week being discounted but never anything directly from Disney. The info came out in August for reference for you. I'd contact your guide again, give them the relative time frame, and tell them you'll make the purchase if the information on the discount applies to the fixed week. That should at least get them asking a supervisor about it.
So true!

We bought our CCV fixed week from a guide that was on the opening team for OKW (Super old) and he had never sold a fixed week before. He was pretty clueless about them and admitted to it. But the difference is he didn't hesitate to write down every single question I had to ask his manager and get back to me. He called me back the next day with the answers to all of my questions.

I too was under the impression that the discounts now applied to the fixed weeks (From earlier reports) which also gave me the impression that sales were not as strong as they wanted them to be.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 06:36 AM   #7
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

I think purchasing a fixed week is a smart move. Push for that incentive if it was really offered. My guide had no clue, but he was upfront and admitted it! He had to get several clarifications for me. Actually, the week I wanted wasnít available ( week 49). I told him only way Iím buying is to get that week. A day later ( miraculously), management opened up that week.

Best of luck!
Old 09-11-2019, 07:41 AM   #8
MouseMagic
Studio

Thanks guys - I sent him the link to one article and Iím going to call and see if he can find out. Itís a good bit of money to leave on the table and the fixed week is expensive to start with (to me ).
MouseMagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55 AM   #9
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Can someone post the link please.

Only way to go at this point.

Now if they start selling TS fixed weeks with a discount, I’m in!
DVCQUEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 09:02 AM   #10
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Sigh. Riviera sales are doing just fine: https://dvcnews.com/index.php/other-...-other-resorts

I’m so tired of hearing how awful sales must be for Riviera every time DVD does anything. Maybe the same was said about Copper Creek every time they announced anything, but I don’t remember that. Any reports about the sales doing poorly are just rumors and are incorrect when you look at the actual hard data. Resorts never sell out as quickly as Disney wants (CCV still isn’t truly sold out despite being labeled as such), but they aren’t struggling by any means. Riviera is a big resort. They’re always trying to break sales records and sell the largest DVC resort offered for direct sales in some time. CCV, Poly, and VGF are all much smaller. The sales volumes are the same, but they have more to sell. It’s simple math. They need to really push the volume of sales to get this larger resort sold out close to the time Reflections sales come online.

I do think they were overconfident in starting construction of Reflections so soon. They should’ve waited a few more years. Riviera is much larger and will take longer to sell. Add in the resale restriction, and they’ve shot themselves in the foot when trying to sell a large resort at a faster pace than any in the past. However, Reflections will have a large hotel component, so maybe they’re hoping to weather the longer sales storm with hotel revenue.

Last edited by TexasChick; 09-11-2019 at 09:08 AM.
TexasChick is offline   Reply With Quote