home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Disney Movies, Shows, Television, Radio, and Multimedia
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-10-2019, 06:20 PM   #1
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Default Disney+, meet Apple TV+

Announced today.
I'll be happy to let others provide details.
Will just say "See", a new show on Apple TV+, looks amazing.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Looked intriguing. Donít think Iíll add it quite yet, but who knows...
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Frankly I'm not sure how well it will do. Obviously Disney has vastly more available content. Apple has a lot of money to spend and may just be taking a gamble, but they're not stupid and I'm sure they've put a lot of thought into it.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 08:49 AM   #4
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Apple TV+ will cost $4.99/month per family sharing group. They will also offer a free 7-day trial.

Announced at yesterdays (9/10) Apple Event, if you purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac or Apple TV, you can get Apple TV+ free for 1 year. Must sign up within 3 months of device activation.

https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/
Old 09-11-2019, 09:49 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Apple TV+ comes free for one year with any purchase of an iPhone, iPad, MacBook, or (maybe - can't remember) AppleTV. That will build in a large starting base in addition to the rest of us who subscribe.

Unfortunately, this is the year of an Apple Watch upgrade for me, so no free Apple TV+. Oh, wait, this is the year of a new phone for Jim. There we go. One free year of Apple TV+!

In terms of programming - it looks like Apple's new stuff is going to be just as good and appealing as Disney's stuff (take that for what you will) and is diverse across genres.

I may seriously look at killing cable next year if I mind myself well entertained by Apple TV+ and Disney+. Also have Hulu, Netflix, and Prime so if I have no new broadcast shows I want to pick up and can catch the few prestige shows I like either over Hulu, though PBS, or iTunes, then I'm done with cable.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 11:15 AM   #6
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post

I may seriously look at killing cable next year if I mind myself well entertained by Apple TV+ and Disney+. Also have Hulu, Netflix, and Prime so if I have no new broadcast shows I want to pick up and can catch the few prestige shows I like either over Hulu, though PBS, or iTunes, then I'm done with cable.

Dirk
I was reluctant for quite some time, and DW was even more so. We finally cut the cord about 2 years ago and haven't looked back. Cheaper, more universally accessible, and we don't miss a thing.
Old 09-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Frankly I'm not sure how well it will do. Obviously Disney has vastly more available content. Apple has a lot of money to spend and may just be taking a gamble, but they're not stupid and I'm sure they've put a lot of thought into it.
I wonder if the free year is a trial to gauge interest before Apple looks to buy other content creators, maybe even possibly Netflix. If anything, they have the money to burn on this.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
twingirls
Two Bedroom

We have Netflix, amazon prime and hulu (for 99 cents during a deal). We are adding Disney +. We are looking at getting hulu live and cutting cable but my husband watches football, baseball (only the Cubs) and soccer so I don't know if there are any streaming services that carry a lot of sports. If we don't cut cable we will probably get rid of Netflix. My kids watch a ton of Disney and with that no longer on Netflix we may not watch much of Netflix.
twingirls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:22 PM   #9
Goofy Dad 13
Grand Villa

Dirk, I thought I read somewhere that the apple watch would be included in the apple products that get you year one for free.

Goofy Dad 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #10
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy Dad 13 View Post
Dirk, I thought I read somewhere that the apple watch would be included in the apple products that get you year one for free.
It's not listed as a qualifying device on the Apple TV+ web page:
Quote:
Get Apple TV+ for a year when you purchase a new iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, Mac, or Apple TV.
https://www.apple.com/apple-tv-plus/