home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-21-2019, 09:02 AM   #1
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Default ESPN Game Day At MK Saturday (8/24)

FYI
ESPNs College Game Day TV show will broadcast from the train station in the Magic Kingdom on Saturday (8/24). The show is on air between 9:00 and 12:00pm. Not sure what this will do to the crowds but it may make a traffic issue getting under the train station and down Main Street.

If you are not familiar with the show it is an overview of college football and that weekends games. The show is typically broadcast from the site of the lead ESPN game for the day and typically has a large rowdy crowd waving signs and flags and just being college kids. The show is in Orlando to support Miami v. Florida at Camping World Stadium. It does not sound like Disney will make this a crowd friendly event as they are saying they will enforce the no signs, flags or banners rule plus no special access to the set for the crowds.

Here are some FAQs I found on the Florida site:

FAQ For Fans Wanting to Attend:
Q: Can fans attend College GameDay at Magic Kingdom Park?
A: Guests visiting Magic Kingdom Park on Aug. 24 may catch a glimpse of the live broadcast as it takes place at the elevated train station on Main Street, U.S.A. Valid theme park admission is required. There will be no special access for just College GameDay viewing.
Q: Can I bring a sign or other prop to College GameDay at Magic Kingdom Park?
A: Walt Disney World Resort Property Rules prohibit flags, banners, signs, horns, whistles, large megaphones and artificial noise makers. For the complete set of rules, visit DisneyWorld.com/parkrules.
Q: Will there be access to the ESPN commentators and/or College GameDay set?
A: No designated access to ESPN commentators or College GameDay set is planned at this time.
Old 08-21-2019, 02:23 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Should be fun to watch, I almost always catch at least a few minutes weekly anyway.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 05:34 PM   #3
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

New info on Disney Blog.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:14 PM   #4
kiapgh23e
Grand Villa

https://www.wesh.com/article/signs-n...meday/28788268

Signs now are allowed. Which is good on tv cause i like to read them. Probably will suck at the park.

MOD 97
kiapgh23e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 02:59 AM   #5
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiapgh23e View Post

Signs now are allowed. Which is good on tv cause i like to read them. Probably will suck at the park.
Nice that they reversed course on the signs. There were definitely some upset College GameDay fans:

"ESPN already ruined its first GameDay broadcast of the 2019 football season"

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2019/08/esp...-kingdom-rules

While I don't think broadcasting the first espisode from the MK Train Station is a good idea, I am excited for the return of College GameDay and the start of college football season!

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #6
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:

Signs are one of the best parts of it all. Glad they'll allow. Probably shouldn't have ever picked MK in the first place as it will certainly make MK more congested for regular folks who are not there for this.
Game Day is always fun to watch tho. They're often at an LSU game, or Alabama, so always fun to see all the crazy fans out and about there!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 05:25 PM   #7
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

I'm not sure why they didn't do at the EPSN park and just have promo shots from the parks. Seems like that would have been the easiest but I guess the marketing people want a consent view of the castle.
Old 08-23-2019, 05:39 PM   #8
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

Quote:

I'd be willing to bet they reversed course b/c the WSU flag has been to EVERY.SINGLE.GAMEDAY.EVER.

There would have been a riot had they not let that guy fly his flag.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:16 AM   #9
CaptJacksFamily
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustinjourney View Post
I'd be willing to bet they reversed course b/c the WSU flag has been to EVERY.SINGLE.GAMEDAY.EVER.

There would have been a riot had they not let that guy fly his flag.
The current rules would still make it tough for the WSU flag to make it in:
Signs must be handheld (no poles, sticks or extensions) and may not contain commercial, derogatory, vulgar or political content. Blank signs or dry erase boards will not be permitted. Signs may not exceed 3 x 5 in size. Guests bringing signs to the park will not be able to board the Epcot and Resort Monorail and will be screened at the Transportation and Ticket Center or the Magic Kingdom bus loop. Signs are subject to approval and may not be allowed.

My guess is that they will either have it on set or as part of a cut in from somewhere else so they can keep the streak alive (270 some odd shows the last I heard).

Since it looks like that the weather will still be ok I think we are going to grab sone Tonga Toast at the Poly and head over for the last part of the broadcast to check it out.
Old 08-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJacksFamily View Post
The current rules would still make it tough for the WSU flag to make it in:
Signs must be handheld (no poles, sticks or extensions) and may not contain commercial, derogatory, vulgar or political content. Blank signs or dry erase boards will not be permitted. Signs may not exceed 3 x 5 in size. Guests bringing signs to the park will not be able to board the Epcot and Resort Monorail and will be screened at the Transportation and Ticket Center or the Magic Kingdom bus loop. Signs are subject to approval and may not be allowed.

My guess is that they will either have it on set or as part of a cut in from somewhere else so they can keep the streak alive (270 some odd shows the last I heard).

Since it looks like that the weather will still be ok I think we are going to grab sone Tonga Toast at the Poly and head over for the last part of the broadcast to check it out.

Enjoy!
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote