home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-16-2019, 10:50 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Plantar Fasciitis: Buena Vista or Gold for Scooter?

I may have to rent a scooter this trip, due to very bad self-diagnosed plantar fasciitis on the bottom of my left heel. I'm going to watch it for a couple of days, but we leave for WDW on Wednesday. It's actually better when I walk and primarily freezes up in great pain after I sit or sleep, so a park day may not be that bad, but I don't know if I'm injuring it more.

I'm considering either Buena Vista or Gold. I want a 3 wheel Pride Victory 10 and both have great reviews for batter life and service/quality.

The primary difference is Gold tricks out their scooters a bit more and they have to direct deliver to customer. BV can leave at Bell Services. Both are great on quality and battery life. If we direct deliver, I can't have it until Thursday morning, and it has to be picked up by 7:30 am the following Monday morning as we are out late Sunday evening.

I love what Gold says about their scooters though!

Quote:
Q: What options do your scooters come standard with?

A: All of Gold Mobility’s scooters come equipped with the longest Extended-Range Batteries in the industry, PunctureProof tires, Large Front Baskets, Battery Charger, Cup Holder, Cell Phone Holder, USB charging port (bring your cord), L.E.D. undercarriage safety lighting system, Owner’s Manual, Control Panel Rain Cover, Adjustable Arm Rests, Adjustable Steering Tiller, Dual throttle operation for left or right hand convenience, Unique Ignition key, Variable Speed Control, and 4 free reusable rain ponchos for you to keep. And if that doesn’t impress you, Gold Mobility Scooters LLC takes great pride in offering you premium value at no extra cost on our Victory 10 line of scooters. An upgraded large adjustable luxury Captain’s Chair allows you the maximum level of comfort offered in the industry, even on those longest of park days.

Q: How long will my scooter last upon a fully charged battery?

A: All of Gold Mobility Scooters are equipped standard with the longest range batteries available in the industry. Our GoGo Sport line of scooters can range up to 9 miles on a single charge and our premium Victory 10 line of scooters can range up to 17 miles on a fully charged battery. Keep in mind the average guest covers about 6 miles a day. The biggest variables to factor in are the weight of the driver and the terrain such as going up hills and climbs.

Welcome thoughts/opinions on both services.

And how quickly does plantar fasciitis heal?

Dirk

Last edited by carolina_yankee; 08-16-2019 at 02:23 PM. Reason: changed from tendinitis to more likely plantar fasciitis.
carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 10:59 AM   #2
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
I may have to rent a scooter this trip, due to very bad self-diagnosed tendinitis (or bone bruise?) on the bottom of my left heel. I'm going to watch it for a couple of days, but we leave for WDW on Wednesday. It's actually better when I walk and primarily freezes up in great pain after I sit or sleep, so a park day may not be that bad, but I don't know if I'm injuring it more.

I'm considering either Buena Vista or Gold. I want a 3 wheel Pride Victory 10 and both have great reviews for batter life and service/quality.

The primary difference is Gold tricks out their scooters a bit more and they have to direct deliver to customer. BV can leave at Bell Services. Both are great on quality and battery life. If we direct deliver, I can't have it until Thursday morning, and it has to be picked up by 7:30 am the following Monday morning as we are out late Sunday evening.

I'm not 100% certain of our Wednesday timing, so that Bell Services delivery is mighty convenient.

Dirk

Welcome thoughts/opinions on both services.

Dirk

I had the same choice. I went with Buena vista . I have used best price mobility for the past few years . They sold the company and went way up in price.

With Gold you do have to meet them both picking up. And returning the unit.
There have been complaints about them on face book . They are cheaper but the inconvenience weighted vs the price I went with Buena vista .

The face book complaints were the gold units were not as nice as the web page portrays them. Buena vista is located on the Boardwalk and they will fix any problems if necessary .

I also wanted a canopy this year.

I am sorry about your leg .
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:31 AM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We prefer use one of the "approved" WDW scooter companies that drop off at bell services. Makes it so much easier to pick-up and drop-off the scooter then meet with the delivery. Email Robin, she rents scooters regularly for her self and others.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #4
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Sometimes heel pain can be the result of walking without proper arch support. Try some inserts to see if it helps. I did that years ago and now will only wear sandals with very good arch support. No problem since. But that pain (plantar fasciitis) felt very much like my heel was bruised.
Old 08-16-2019, 11:51 AM   #5
PSULion22
Grand Villa

If the pain goes away when you walk, I would suggest it isn't tendonitis as that would become worse with activity (the tendon is inflamed and using it would cause more pain and inflammation).

I agree with rebelzmom - you more likely have plantar fasciitis. Still painful to be sure, but treatment is different. You may still need a scooter but arch support, and arch compression may help with the pain. Stretching the arch and calf helps also (which wouldn't help with tendonitis). Also, how old are your shoes? After time and use (and not as much as you would like or hope) shoes lose their support. Without that support, you overuse and stress the plantar fascia, causing pain. Try new shoes or an insole with cushioning and arch support.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354846
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:52 AM   #6
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I really like picking up and dropping off the scooter with bell services. I am using BV scooters for Universal this next trip, and they do bell services there too. I never can plan my exact arrival time and so usually get someplace too early if I have a scheduled time, then wait around a while. Getting them from bell services removes that factor.

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:57 AM   #7
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redhead58 View Post
I really like picking up and dropping off the scooter with bell services. I am using BV scooters for Universal this next trip, and they do bell services there too. I never can plan my exact arrival time and so usually get someplace too early if I have a scheduled time, then wait around a while. Getting them from bell services removes that factor.
Is this new at Universal? We are staying at Hard Rock Hotel in October and when we went to Universal last year, the only approved company was Walker and we had to meet them to get the scooter.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:41 PM   #8
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

I rented from Gold in Dec 2018 and loved them. I highly recommend the company. I never had a problem with the battery or any aspect of the rental.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:45 PM   #9
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post

With Gold you do have to meet them both picking up. And returning the unit.
There have been complaints about them on face book . They are cheaper but the inconvenience weighted vs the price I went with Buena vista .

The face book complaints were the gold units were not as nice as the web page portrays them.

They met me at the resort right outside of the hotel lobby.

I also requested a new/er scooter and the one I rented looked brand new.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 12:51 PM   #10
Kmurf
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
If the pain goes away when you walk, I would suggest it isn't tendonitis as that would become worse with activity (the tendon is inflamed and using it would cause more pain and inflammation).

I agree with rebelzmom - you more likely have plantar fasciitis. Still painful to be sure, but treatment is different. You may still need a scooter but arch support, and arch compression may help with the pain. Stretching the arch and calf helps also (which wouldn't help with tendonitis). Also, how old are your shoes? After time and use (and not as much as you would like or hope) shoes lose their support. Without that support, you overuse and stress the plantar fascia, causing pain. Try new shoes or an insole with cushioning and arch support.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...s/syc-20354846
Had the same problem recently. Finally got the Dr. Scholl inserts at Walmart. Worked like a charm. Walked all over Italy on our recent cruise with no issue. Cost $49 and well worth it.
DCL Cruises - 14 and counting. Platinum has it's benefits.
Kmurf is offline   Reply With Quote