home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Latest Disney (non-DVC-related) News & Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #1
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Default New Disney land purchase and Celebration

Hello....
Looking at Celebration as a retirement community...anybody have any insight? Pluses and minuses?? And I've read they purchased 960 acres nearby for water and conservation? Has anything else been discussed? Call me suspicious...

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:24 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheboardwalk View Post
Hello....
Looking at Celebration as a retirement community...anybody have any insight? Pluses and minuses?? And I've read they purchased 960 acres nearby for water and conservation? Has anything else been discussed? Call me suspicious...
I look forward to other's recommendation on Celebration. I will say that one local steered me off of Celebration when I was asking about it - saying there are other areas that are just as nice and better served by local amenities.

Regarding the 960 acres, Disney did purchase. Nobody knows what that's about, except it does give Disney the opportunity to do more onsite development down the road if they need to reclaim some wetlands.

I think it's pretty much a given that Disney is going to continue to build resorts, roadways, and expand parks so this gives them the flexibility to move things around as they want.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 08:41 AM   #3
Mj2v
One Bedroom

We have lived in Celebration for 20 years. Itís a great community.

People that move here expecting to live in a theme park are disappointed. People that understand itís a living breathing place, have a realistic expectation, and donít get caught up in the drama seem to do well.

The land purchase is for wetlands mitigation.
Mj2v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
MMC1
Grand Villa

I moved to Celebration from out of state last November.
I have been exploring other areas and would not live anywhere else because of the traffic and desire to be close to WDW hassle free retirement.
Next time you visit , drive down World Center Drive passing over all that backed up traffic on I-4 and turn right for new construction area and high school or turn left to pass the DVC Building and continue past Siena Park (current residence) and you will also see Celebration has a very nice library turning right to go into Celebration Town Center or left to shop at very nice Publix Grocery Store.
Very simple town to live in and very clean and safe.

The new construction has begun and is called Celebration Island Village
Www.mattamyhomes.com to register for updates

Also new construction community for Senior www. Khov
Four Seasons K.Hovnanian builder
I am considering this location also in nearby safer area of Kissimee. Apparently senior residences will increase in value over years due to increase in seniors so might be something to research

Last edited by MMC1; 08-13-2019 at 09:10 AM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM   #5
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Thank you for your replies! Can you rent condos or homes out?

We may rent for a year or two until we retire.

Thanks!

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, Poly, & DRR
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Just for comparison....
960 acres is 1.5 square miles, or roughly 4% of WDW's current size.
In other words, substantial but not huge.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 03:33 PM   #7
Mj2v
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovetheboardwalk View Post
Thank you for your replies! Can you rent condos or homes out?

We may rent for a year or two until we retire.

Thanks!
Rentals are available. The minimum is 7 months typically, a year in some other areas.

Many people rent out their garage apartments, there are condos and full homes to rent as well.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:42 PM   #8
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Remember too that Disney needs to buy a lot of land to keep water moving through their properties. Stagnant water breeds mosquitoes and Disneyís extensive canal system (along with selective spraying) makes sure our trips are enjoyable!

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 05:47 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mj2v View Post
Rentals are available. The minimum is 7 months typically, a year in some other areas.

Many people rent out their garage apartments, there are condos and full homes to rent as well.
When my son got a job at Disney after doing an Internship there, he needed to find a place to live. We got a list of places from a realtor and one was a garage apt in Celebration. It was unfurnished and they wanted $1000 a month plus utilities. It was basically a studio (all one room) with a kitchenette. I think he would have had to park his car in the alley by the garage. Luckily he found two other guys who were losing a roommate and were looking for a third. He moved into their three bedroom apt and they split the rent (it was about $2400 a month total). It was kind of a dump, but it was okay and not too far from work. Plus they had a pool and laundry room. The garage apt had neither to use.

Rent is high in Orlando area.
Old 08-13-2019, 06:23 PM   #10
Mj2v
One Bedroom

Celebration is definitely not a starter market. We lived out in Davenport (before the traffic apocalypse) and bought our first house for $108,000. The celebration house was 4x that. Itís gone up from that, but itís not a cheap market.

There are pools around town, so renters can use them.

My son is doing the same thing. He shares a condo across from celebration for about $600 a month each. He asked about the condo that we are buying to rent out and I had to tell him he couldnít afford it