home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 08-08-2019, 08:58 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default What is it you want in a Disney theme park?

Reading the surprisingly negative reactions to SWGE here, I'm curious (not combative) - as Disney begins to morph attractions and lands into a new era of experiences, what is it that you want in a Disney attraction or land?

I.E, What is that will make you say either, "Now, that's a Disney experience!" or "Disney got that right!"?

Also, what would you make say "Absolutely not worth my time?"

Please don't use this to bash existing experiences, but feel free to use existing attractions (from anywhere) as positive or negative examples of your points.

And this is for a *Disney* theme park, not Six Flags amusements or Universal.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:49 AM   #2
DBridge
Studio

I think Disney would kill it with a 5th gate dedicated to more of a thrill seeking vibe.

Coasters, drops, towers with Disney theming.

No screens or virtual reality, just plain old thrill rides

Think Cedar Point with Disney theming. Alladins Magic Carpet ride a 300 foot mega coaster over Agrabah. Wreck It Ralph's Plunge - 200 foot drop from a themed skyscraper.

What are the longest waits across Disney? Pseudo thrill rides. FOP, space mountain, 7dmt, aerosmith, slinky dog, test track

The demand is there.... give us a park full of them...

It'll never happen...
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #3
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Fewer crowds

I would love a park with b rides where the lines where short. It could be designed to take the over flow from other parks . Discovery Island served this purpose years ago. Water parks are also designed to take the over flow.

A park with large theatre shows and no dark rides than shut down a lot.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #4
FessParker1
Grand Villa

How about just everything working.
Does anyone own the rights to hanna-barbera? Maybe buy the rights to hanna barbera and create a 5th gate with their content.

Last edited by FessParker1; 08-08-2019 at 11:45 AM.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:29 AM   #5
Alix1912
Two Bedroom

I think the concept of more "Thrill" rides would be awesome.

I would love to see a fifth gate that is an adventure themed park.

Rides and areas could be equally split between Disney owned Intellectual Property, and completely Unique offerings.

Ideas including:
- Avengers/Superhero Area
-Sci Fi High tech area (Tron ride might be better suited here), also a lot of potential for other really cool Tech themed rides.
- Bring over Mystic Manor from Asia.....also maybe a reimagined Adventurers Club (Kungaloosh anyone?).....Maybe an entire land themed in a 1800-1900's adventure style theme.......new Indiana Jones ride would fit here.
- Fantasy/ Castle/ Mystical Creatures area (heck bring back some of the plans that got scrapped for AK here.....again huge potential for really cool thrill rides)
- Incorporate more family friendly stuff as well, using some of the existing franchises as well too.
- Also some great live entertainment shows as well. I feel like we are losing these at an alarming rate at Disney, and to me it is the quality of entertainment that is one of the hallmarks of true Disney quality.
- Do a nighttime event that embraces adventure and wonder of discovery.

Each "area" needs at least 2-3 major attractions and 3-5 minor ones, thus allowing the guests to space out and disperse.

I think one of the biggest problems with Pandora is that you only have two attractions......in a park already thin on attractions......it just is a recipe for major crowd lines and crowds.

I think this is why people are disappointed with SW, it has only two major attractions......and opened with only one. I think that is also a factor in why people didn't come. Fear over crowds like at Pandora, and only two rides to distribute them onto. While the theming seems to be top notch, it feels like a lot of effort for only two rides.

I think this is why MK remains so popular, it is literally PACKED with attractions. I would love to see that in a fifth gate. Lots of incredibly themed areas, and lots of attractions. Give us a solid "two days to tour it" park.
Alix1912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 11:47 AM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I might be easier to please than some. What got me on Disney and what I would like to see more of is the magic again.

Feeling totally immersed in a park that causes me to forget the outside world.

Things like painting and cleaning to be done in a way that I don't see it easily or regularly. I want totally clean bathrooms. Clean walkways. Clean rides. Rides that are kept up and not showing signs of age. I get a ride can malfunction but it would be nice if it weren't terribly often.

Less closing of attractions for new without adding more in the middle of it all.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:49 AM   #7
Jesper
One Bedroom

Update/fix some of the existing rides so that they work on a consistent basis. We just came back from 7 days at WDW and MK was easily the most disappointing experience. In fairness, one day pretty much rained out, and Disney can obviously not do anything about that, yet. However, Space mountain broke down before out first FP slot opened, which was at 10.05 AM, and it was down until late afternoon. Peter Pan ride was down, so was Pirates, Aladdin's carpet, BTMR, and 4 members of our family went on Haunted Mansion which broke down no less than 6 times during their ride. There might have been other rides that were down as well that I did not notice.

The only ride I noticed down in any other park was Test Track.

They got Pandora right though. A great ride, an ok ride and a beautiful area to walk around in. Also, decent food at Satuli.
Old 08-08-2019, 11:54 AM   #8
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesper View Post

and 4 members of our family went on Haunted Mansion which broke down no less than 6 times during their ride.
Don't they have to stop that one to load ECVs or wheelchairs? That could be what your family members thought were breakdowns.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
capeokw56
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
Don't they have to stop that one to load ECVs or wheelchairs? That could be what your family members thought were breakdowns.
My thoughts exactly.
capeokw56 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 12:08 PM   #10
Jesper
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I wasn't on the ride so I don't know, but at least one of the stops was significantly longer than the time it takes to load a wheelchair/ECV. From their description it was not normal hold ups.