home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-19-2019, 01:03 AM   #1
Jay324
Grand Villa

Default The Emptiness At BWV....What gives?

I just got back from an 8 day trip staying 4 nights at BWV and 4 at BLT from June 28- July 6 and my BWV portion of the trip (June 28-July 2) was incredibly strange. The resort was just so empty the entire 4 nights. While I have been noticing the steady decline of guests at the Deluxe resort at Disney, I have never seen a DVC resort seem empty on any of my trips. But this trip, BWV was twilight zone empty and I am wondering what is going on.

I spent a lot of time at BWV during our stay for we had our usually summer schedule, rope drop the park in the morning, back to the resort for lunch, return to the park or go to dinner in the evening. Ever time I went to past the front desk, 3 CM's were standing around, waiting with a look that I can't possibly have that much time on my hands without someone checking in or just a guest walking up to service and answer general questions. Bell services had 6 to 8 CM's just waiting with a wondering look of am I going to help anyone today. The one time I stopped in the Bellvue Lounge with my buddy we were the only ones in the bar. I had three elevators at my beck and call waiting to take me to the 4th floor with no one but my family or friend along with me in such elevator rides. My wife was in the gym with her friend twice during the trip and they had it to themselves. Very few kids running or screaming in the hallways for we only encountered an occasional other guest with a quick hello every time we left or returned to our rooms. No one and I mean no one was on any balcony the entire stay (could have been the heat but it just seemed so odd). The parking lot, unusually empty as I had 10 front row spots to choose on the far left lot that is a more manageable walk to the entrance near the quiet pool. And every time I saw the Magic Express pull up from where I was smoking in the designate area in front of the lobby to the left, I saw three families get out of the bus the entire 4 night stay.

Now the pool was another story for there were well over 200 guests at the pool each afternoon. But, many of them had no magic bands, some were swimming in shorts or cut off jeans and my wife pointed out that one women was swimming in shorts and a sports bra...classy move at a Disney pool being around so many kids. There were no CM's checking bands or even caring who was hopping in the pool. Leaping Horse Libations pool bar had the largest crowd I have seen, but most people were paying with cash or credit card which is odd to me for that's one thing I love about the Magic Band is the convenience at the pool bar. Now the large crowds could have been pool hopping from another DVC resort, but my guess is that BWV is still home to the summer HS and Epcot crowd that want an hour or two in the pool to cool off from their hot summer park touring.

So what gives. BWV was constantly showing no availability for I may have booked another studio for another family during our trip and it was obvious that the resort was half empty if not more than half empty. As for the BLT portion, the place was at capacity and it was quite noticeable for there was at least a two hour wait to get into the TOWL on July 3 and things were much different at the lobby, front desk and overall feel of the resort. BLT was packed. BWV no so much. Just not sure what game is being played by DVC with BWV being so empty and I really can't figure out why it was so empty. Thoughts?
Old 07-19-2019, 02:40 AM   #2
MickeyMcButterPants
One Bedroom

We were at the BWV June 30th - July 6th basically hung out at the pool each day, parks at night. Every day till July 4th CMs came around checking IDs.
We would get drinks every afternoon at the bar and only pay cash, drinks and tip.
Also DH never wears his MB.
MickeyMcButterPants is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 06:41 AM   #3
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post

So what gives. BWV was constantly showing no availability for I may have booked another studio for another family during our trip and it was obvious that the resort was half empty if not more than half empty. As for the BLT portion, the place was at capacity and it was quite noticeable for there was at least a two hour wait to get into the TOWL on July 3 and things were much different at the lobby, front desk and overall feel of the resort. BLT was packed. BWV no so much. Just not sure what game is being played by DVC with BWV being so empty and I really can't figure out why it was so empty. Thoughts?
I was at BWV same week last year. One CM told me that occupancy rates on the DVC side were typically >98% but the Hotel side would be in the 80’s. BW is a conference hotel and there is probably not a worse week on the calendar to hold a conference. When MLB held their winter meeting there many years ago you could not even get near The resort
Old 07-19-2019, 06:57 AM   #4
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

You lucked out. I was at BWV last year in Nov and it was packed. There were no parking spots . The front desk always had long lines . The buses were usually standing room only .

The pools were the only places that were not full.

I would have expected the Fourth of July to have been crowded .

Last edited by Shewill; 07-19-2019 at 10:09 AM.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 08:02 AM   #5
beachclubmum
One Bedroom

So you're saying the non-handicapped parking spaces closest to the service road entrance were always empty? That does sound eerie!
beachclubmum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 12:57 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

We almost never see many or any guests in the room sections of the resorts.

But maybe everyone had checked in and headed to Universal.
Old 07-19-2019, 01:05 PM   #7
ajc
Grand Villa

Intrigued by the prospect of empty BWV. It sounds more and more like the Shining... (long confusing hallways, empty corridors, elevators waiting to engulf you, OOOH!)
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2019, 01:33 PM   #8
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
Intrigued by the prospect of empty BWV. It sounds more and more like the Shining... (long confusing hallways, empty corridors, elevators waiting to engulf you, OOOH!)
And instead of Jack Nicholson with and ax, you get Pennywise in the pool!
Old 07-19-2019, 01:35 PM   #9
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
And instead of Jack Nicholson with and ax, you get Pennywise in the pool!
Old 07-19-2019, 03:15 PM   #10
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I saw some kid on a big wheel going up and down the halls. He kept saying RAW RATS, RAW RATS.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote