home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #1
Jay324
Grand Villa

Default Universal vs Disney Pricing

So I saw a ridiculously cheap flight to MCO from Philly on Frontier ($594 for 4 with 1 bag all in) over Labor Day Weekend (Wed - Mon) and we wanted to try Universal for we haven't been there with the kids yet. We looked at Cape May, NJ for 5 nights and the best we could do was around $1,800 for a decent place so idea of flying to MCO looked even better.

Being that we locked in the flight, we booked 4 nights at the Loews Royal Pacific (Express Pass Included) for $237 a night ($1,067 with taxes) and bought four 5 day 3 park tickets from Undercover Tourist for $1,290.00). All in pricing for tickets and hotel came to $2,357.00. We got a studio BWV garden view for 15 points on Sunday night (very lucky with such time constraints) to check out food and wine at Epcot (Sunday night)and to walk around Star Wars land on Monday morning before our 2:00 flight home.

Looking at Undercover Tourist a 5 day hopper pass with a water park option for the same dates would be $508 per ticket or $2,032 for the 4 of us.

Comparing the two, the cost of all in resort for 4 nights and tickets for 5 days (we will do 4.5) with their deluxe resort is only $325.00 more than the 5 day tickets alone for Disney. Yes, I don't think Universal holds a candle to Disney as far the entertainment included and I knew things were cheaper on the other side of town but I never realized that Universal pricing is that much lower than Disney for a 4 night 5 day vacation.

Yes Universal is still expensive but $2,357.00 for 5 day tickets and 4 nights hotel stay isn't that bad considering we were going to spend $1,800 for a 5 night beach stay at Cape May in NJ. Getting the cheap flight and that BWV studio for an extra night was also a nice bonus (for we have the AP's at Disney).
Old 07-17-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay324 View Post
So I saw a ridiculously cheap flight to MCO from Philly on Frontier ($594 for 4 with 1 bag all in) over Labor Day Weekend (Wed - Mon) and we wanted to try Universal for we haven't been there with the kids yet. We looked at Cape May, NJ for 5 nights and the best we could do was around $1,800 for a decent place so idea of flying to MCO looked even better.

Being that we locked in the flight, we booked 4 nights at the Loews Royal Pacific (Express Pass Included) for $237 a night ($1,067 with taxes) and bought four 5 day 3 park tickets from Undercover Tourist for $1,290.00). All in pricing for tickets and hotel came to $2,357.00. We got a studio BWV garden view for 15 points on Sunday night (very lucky with such time constraints) to check out food and wine at Epcot (Sunday night)and to walk around Star Wars land on Monday morning before our 2:00 flight home.

Looking at Undercover Tourist a 5 day hopper pass with a water park option for the same dates would be $508 per ticket or $2,032 for the 4 of us.

Comparing the two, the cost of all in resort for 4 nights and tickets for 5 days (we will do 4.5) with their deluxe resort is only $325.00 more than the 5 day tickets alone for Disney. Yes, I don't think Universal holds a candle to Disney as far the entertainment included and I knew things were cheaper on the other side of town but I never realized that Universal pricing is that much lower than Disney for a 4 night 5 day vacation.

Yes Universal is still expensive but $2,357.00 for 5 day tickets and 4 nights hotel stay isn't that bad considering we were going to spend $1,800 for a 5 night beach stay at Cape May in NJ. Getting the cheap flight and that BWV studio for an extra night was also a nice bonus (for we have the AP's at Disney).
It's a night and day experience. We did 5 days at Disneyland followed by a 1 Day at Universal Hollywood. The difference on park touring was unbelievable. Literally no lines except for Shrek and the tour. We had the Express Pass so hopping on/off/on/off felt almost ridiculously indulgent.

I know that was pre HP and not Orlando, but Universal is so much easier.

Plus, you have a great hotel to just crash in and veg if you want. And it will be easier to do so because less touring stress.

Crap, I may be talking myself into my first Universal Orlando visit and on-site stay if Disney keeps raising ticket prices so dramatically.

Let us know how it goes!

Dirk

carolina_yankee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

We are HUGE HUGE HUGE Harry Potter fans. We went to Univ the first time in 2015 and I upgraded us to APs before we left. Then last year we had the AP that we could pay out per month. We love Univ. However, if it was not for Harry Potter sections, I would not be nearly as enamored. We love it there.

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE @ WDWhttp://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 PM   #4
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It's a night and day experience. We did 5 days at Disneyland followed by a 1 Day at Universal Hollywood. The difference on park touring was unbelievable. Literally no lines except for Shrek and the tour. We had the Express Pass so hopping on/off/on/off felt almost ridiculously indulgent.

I know that was pre HP and not Orlando, but Universal is so much easier.

Plus, you have a great hotel to just crash in and veg if you want. And it will be easier to do so because less touring stress.

Crap, I may be talking myself into my first Universal Orlando visit and on-site stay if Disney keeps raising ticket prices so dramatically.

Let us know how it goes!

Dirk

Universal Is a lot of fun - definitely better to stay at one of their onsite hotels - in the days of the non-expiring tickets we would do both Universal and WDW - these days its one or the other -
Old 07-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #5
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

I think you could look at it a different way:

Your ticket pricing is comparing Universal three park ticket with a Disney six park ticket.

Universal four tickets for five days for three parks is $1,290, which equals $107.50 per ticket for each park.

Disney four tickets for five days for six parks is $2,032, which equals $84.67 per ticket for each park.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #6
disneyteach
Grand Villa

Interesting comparison. Have a great time! Awesome that you got BWV and you'll be able to hit up Star Wars! We are looking into a Universal trip next summer for just a couple of nights. Would also like to stay at Royal Pacific, so I hope you do a trip report!
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:24 PM   #7
snystedt
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Nice choices to have.

Cape May is the only place my kids would choose over Disney.
snystedt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:30 PM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Slightly OT, but...I have been going to the same hotel every summer for 30 years in Wildwood Crest, NJ. Finally last year, I told them that they priced me out. It's cheaper to fly to Florida and do Disney than to do the Jersey Shore thing.

But I broke down and I'm going to do a weekend there in August.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #9
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssdownthehatch View Post
I think you could look at it a different way:

Your ticket pricing is comparing Universal three park ticket with a Disney six park ticket.

Universal four tickets for five days for three parks is $1,290, which equals $107.50 per ticket for each park.

Disney four tickets for five days for six parks is $2,032, which equals $84.67 per ticket for each park.
That's how I would look at it. Universal is also doing a buy 2 get 3 free promotion right now. So in reality, they're charging $320 for 2 days, not 5. In contrast, Disney's 2 day Park hopper Plus starting on the Wednesday of Labor Day Weekend would be $314 plus tax. So Universal is essentially charging the same thing for half the entertainment. If you go on Uni's website, the price for a 5 day, 3 Park pass with park-to-park is $409.99 plus tax. In terms of value for options, it isn't even close. Disney is giving you double the entertainment for a 25% increase.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:54 PM   #10
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
That's how I would look at it. Universal is also doing a buy 2 get 3 free promotion right now. So in reality, they're charging $320 for 2 days, not 5. In contrast, Disney's 2 day Park hopper Plus starting on the Wednesday of Labor Day Weekend would be $314 plus tax. So Universal is essentially charging the same thing for half the entertainment. If you go on Uni's website, the price for a 5 day, 3 Park pass with park-to-park is $409.99 plus tax. In terms of value for options, it isn't even close. Disney is giving you double the entertainment for a 25% increase.
And the Royal Pacific quote was $266 a night, presumably not a one bedroom. I think staying at Disney on points would be less even for a one bedroom. The Royal Pacific is really nice, though.