home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-15-2019, 10:43 AM   #1
Trooper8286
One Bedroom

Default New Year's Waitlist?

I'm certain this has been asked before, but searching comes up with a ton of different threads on NYE or Waitlist.....

My question concerns Studio at BLT and other options.

I'm waitlisted at BLT for December 28-Jan 1. I have BLT reservation from January 1st-4th.

Can anyone help me read the tea leaves from prior December waitlist experience?

Nowhere has availability for even 2 of those nights, and I'm a little concerned.

Any help or just sharing the anxiety is appreciated.

Jay
Stormtrooper- 501st Legion- Carolina Garrison
No, I am not too short to be a stormtrooper!

WDW VISITS
1974- Contemporary -Garden wing
June 2010- Contemporary -Tower TPV
July 2013-Off Property
Dec. 2013- AKV- Kidani
June 2014- AKV Kidani/ BLT
Sept. 2014- All Star Sports
November 2015- AKV Jambo
December 2016- Poly
April 2018-Poly/ BLT
Trooper8286 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #2
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

That is a really busy time frame. But, people cancel and change plans so you just really have no way of knowing. Your best option is to set up both of the wait list available to you and then dont alter them. Last year we had a wait list for BW for 4 nights for Jan 1-4 and it never came through. We were ok and had a great stay at SSR. Go ahead and book whatever is available and plan for a possible split stay. Good luck!

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #3
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post

I'm waitlisted at BLT for December 28-Jan 1. I have BLT reservation from January 1st-4th

Nowhere has availability for even 2 of those nights, and I'm a little concerned.4
Prepare for the worse....

I have had only one long term (5 months out) not come thru for me over the years. It was 1-night at BLT during the same time period you are requesting.

I would book a cash room as a back-up, you can cancel with no penalty a few days out.

I would stalk the RAT and try to cobble together a stay at whatever resort is available.

You might want to make SSR or OKW your waitlist since those two resorts have the best chance of availability.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:26 PM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
Prepare for the worse....

I would stalk the RAT and try to cobble together a stay at whatever resort is available.

You might want to make SSR or OKW your waitlist since those two resorts have the best chance of availability.

Very good advice!!!

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 09:55 PM   #5
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trooper8286 View Post
I'm certain this has been asked before, but searching comes up with a ton of different threads on NYE or Waitlist.....

I'm waitlisted at BLT for December 28-Jan 1. I have BLT reservation from January 1st-4th.

Can anyone help me read the tea leaves from prior December waitlist experience?

Nowhere has availability for even 2 of those nights, and I'm a little concerned.

Any help or just sharing the anxiety is appreciated.
While this might not help with the anxiety, you are right to be concerned.

Based on my experience (Christmas/NYE every year since 2004) the tea leaves in 2019 are not in your favor. I have been watching studio availability for 12/27-1/2 since the 7 month window opened and there are random nights that open for the 28th and 29th, but nothing for the 30th or 31st.

If needed, I have had success over the years with the waitlist for the nights before and after the night of NYE, but little success with NYE night itself. To the point in 2015 where I booked a cash room at BCV (using the DVC 25% discount) so we wouldn't have to move for that one night. I booked that in October and it was the only studio available to book on cash. The waitlist never cleared so I was glad to have the cash room as a back-up. Availability of rooms to book with cash through DVC is variable and even DVC MS can't predict when or if they will have rooms to be booked and it changes day to day.

This year I had no luck with at waitlist for a studio for VWL for the nights of 12/27/19-1/2/20. I ended up waitlisting for a 1-Bedroom for 12/30 and 12/31 instead and was lucky both came through. But 1-Bedrooms are easier to get than studios.

While I won't say it's impossible, it would be extremely unlikely that all of those nights would become available at once and even if they did that you are first on the waitlist for those exact dates/room type/view.

The strategies I can recommend-alone or in combination-are:

A) Waitlist at SSR or OKW and do a split stay.

B) Book a cash room either with DVC for the discount (if available) or at another resort.

C) Break up your waitlist into single nights. This will give you the best chance for them clearing. You can have two waitlists at a time, so I would recommend having one waitlist for the night of the 31st, and the second for the night of the 30th. Adjust your cash bookings (if you have them) if the waitlist clears. Then repeat the process for the 29th and 28th. Work from the dates you already have booked and move backwards. In other words, don't waitlist the 28th and 29th first, otherwise if one of them clears you would need to move twice or wouldn't have a room in the middle.

D) Stalk the RAT multiple times a day. Adjust the strategies above accordingly for your dates if you are successful. Small window of hope might be right at the 30 day mark since that is the last day members can cancel and have points from an cancelled reservation go back to the original use year instead of holding. But I'm not sure you would want to wait until that close to your trip.

It's the two busiest weeks of the year, NYE is the busiest night of the year for bookings, it's at one of the more popular resorts, and SW:GE will be open as will RotR. So the odds are ever not in your favor. I would really recommend getting a solid back-up plan in place asap.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt

Last edited by cali09; 07-16-2019 at 01:57 PM.
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote