home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 03:55 PM   #1
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Default The Future Of Booking At 7 Months

With Riviera they made it so that if you buy a resale contract, you can only book at the “original” (already existing DVC resorts…such as BW, BC, AK, OKW, SSR, WL / CC, HHI, VERO, and such)…

Isn’t that going to eventually / over time put a huge strain on those of us who have been members for a long time as we are also trying to book those "original" resorts?

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE @ WDWhttp://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Since we are talking over time......Eventually, all the resorts will be like a traditional timeshare. Buy direct, use the system....Buy resale, and you only get home resort reservations (and RCI).
Old 07-11-2019, 04:15 PM   #3
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Well, I've seen it argued both ways.

The people who complain about availability of the O14 say...
O14 will always book into O14 and RR owners will too, but since future resales of O14 cannot book out of the O14, they will be overbooked.

The people who complain about RR/Reflections say...
Riviera owners will book here, plus O14 owners, plus RR-resale owners will be forced to book here, thus they will be overbooked.

Obviously both are not true and people are analyzing worst case both ways. The ratio of people to rooms will be unchanged.

There will be little RR resale out there. Small effect from those who will have to book RR / cannot book O14. O14 future resales not being able to book others will also lessen with time, and these owners book mostly O14 anyways.

So I think the overall effect will be minimal. What we'll see is the less-desirable resorts will continue to have their points spent elsewhere. Adding resorts like RR/Reflections to take some of this booking is good. It will also add negative pressure on the value of these "trade-out" (SSR/OKW/HHI/VB) resorts since they will not be able to trade out to the new resorts on future resales.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:29 PM   #4
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Ever since the 2nd DVC resorts came online people have been predicting doom for the seven month window. The arguments are always logical, but so far it hasn't come close to coming true. If I had to bet, RIV isn't going to destroy things either.

But you never know, so be prepared to be "stuck" at your home resort if and when the sky does fall.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:31 PM   #5
grayandry
Grand Villa

I’m okay with being “stuck” at my home resort. That’s why we purchased there. We could stay there all of the time (which we pretty much do).
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:38 PM   #6
jflatto
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayandry View Post
I’m okay with being “stuck” at my home resort. That’s why we purchased there. We could stay there all of the time (which we pretty much do).

We own at AKV and BLT. To be honest, AKV is not my favorite partially because I use an ECV and everywhere requires a bus. Saying that, if we were limited to those two resorts, it would be fine. We bought where we wanted to stay.

We do have a reservation for Riviera at Christmas for a split stay so we will see how we like it and how the gondolas work with ECVs.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:53 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Wait....if you buy RR resale you CAN'T use points at legacy (existing older) resorts. Right?

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #8
GrumpyInPhilly
One Bedroom

Quote:
Same for us.
GrumpyInPhilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:29 PM   #9
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Quote:
This.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:31 PM   #10
Rigby
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Wait....if you buy RR resale you CAN'T use points at legacy (existing older) resorts. Right?
I also thought that was the deal. Buy resale and you can only stay at your home resort. Maybe we're missing something?