home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #1
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Default Frontier Airlines-Share the good and the bad

Since Southwest's rates have crept up higher and higher-I thought I would look at Frontier as an alternative. Their rates are what I used to pay on Southwest a few years ago.

I am sure that since their rates are very low that you must be nickel and dimed for everything else. Anyone have experiences you can share? I would love to hear the good, the bad and the ugly.

RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:25 PM   #2
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

We've flown Frontier lots. Moreso a few years back, so I don't know if they've gone up or down in quality... But they were always fine. No complaints specific to the carrier. I guess if there's any downside, it's that they're a small carrier. Southwest can absorb a canceled flight and shift you around to get you there pretty well but a small carrier, should there be unforeseen circumstances, has fewer options. That's about the only downside.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #3
AlwaysDreamingDisney
Grand Villa

Overall weve had great experience with them. Almost always leave on time from TTN (sometimes a few minutes early). They can be shuffled about by MCO quite a bit - gate changes and time changes.

If you buy what you need at booking you save the most. Seat assignment is very important to me so that my DD isnt sitting alone with a stranger! Weve done both carry on as well as checked bags and havent had an issue. If you buy the bags then youre in zone 1 for seating.

Weve only flown from TTN (Trenton,NJ) to MCO. TTN is an extremely small airport so its a breeze getting a parking spot, getting through TSA etc.

We recently had to change 2 flights last minute due to illness! The first one we had a doctor note so they immediately gave us a credit and we were able to rebook easily for when the illness was gone. More recently I had to cancel due to my own illness. Could I have flown probably, would I have been comfortable HELL NO, so I called and they charged me $200 to change the entire flight to 3 days later.

Id still choose Frontier over United ANY DAY!

Proud owner at VWL

Had owned at VGC, SSR and OKW too. Sad to see those points go but moving very close to the Mouse!!!
AlwaysDreamingDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #4
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Did you happen to see the story of the woman who was arrested and her child put into "termporary protective custody" after she refused to sit in a seat that had been vomited in and not cleaned up?

There was a ton of chatter online and in the news and passengers on board sided with the woman, not the airline.

That alone is enough to decline flying Frontier anywhere. And they have cheap flights quite close to me. I'll pass.

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 04:24 PM   #5
nrspepe
Two Bedroom

We fly Frontier from Las Vegas to Orlando and will begin traveling to Jacksonville in the fall as they recently began offering non-stop flights to there. We have had no issues.

One has to have an expectation that this is a budget airline, absolutely no frills at all. The seats are hard and some may like more legroom. You need to bring any food and drink with you. All fine with us since we prefer to save our money for spending at our destination.

All that being said, we will only travel non-stop routes and select our seats in advance.
nrspepe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
disneyteach
Grand Villa

I've flown Frontier, knowing what I was getting, and it was just fine. If doing "budget" flying, however, I do prefer Spirit. I don't know if that is an option for you. Last summer, I did have one problem with Frontier. I booked tickets fairly last minute (within a week, I believe) for a quick trip to Orlando to see family. My flight was scheduled to leave in the afternoon and I got a text that morning saying that my flight was canceled. I called Frontier and didn't really get anywhere. The agent told me my airport must have canceled it. There was no weather so I'm not sure why they would even say that (unless that is their standard answer for any canceled flight). I eventually got up the chain to someone who could actually help me and after nearly crying telling them I had a family event that I had to be in Orlando for by 5:30, I was told that I could book on any airline and they would reimburse me up to $400 per passenger. I definitely got the deal on that one. Booked on Southwest right away using my SW credit card (double points!) and I didn't have to pay for bags. After filing for my refund, I got the reimbursement check within just a couple of weeks. The Frontier "horror" stories I've heard involve people getting stuck in a location due to a canceled flight. Knowing how they handled this situation makes me feel a lot better about using them again, even though I'm wary about the last-minute cancelation. I'm guessing many people are not frequent travelers and do not know how to ask the right questions to get escalated.
disneyteach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 05:21 PM   #7
Yogi3323
Add-on Aficionado

Location: to Quote Bruce .. "somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlwaysDreamingDisney View Post
O
Weve only flown from TTN (Trenton,NJ) to MCO. TTN is an extremely small airport so its a breeze getting a parking spot, getting through TSA etc.
Love TTN .. but still I find SWA to be cheaper (definitely better) than Frontier. Though SWA's new / no non-stop EWR to MCO sucks!!!! But PHL isn't that bad.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I have a friend who used to fly Frontier from Trenton to Chicago because of the convenience. It's generally been fine, but she and her family members have had occasional cancellation issues due to weather. Frontier just doesn't have the capacity. Otherwise, it's a no frills experience that they found fine for getting her to her grandkids.

Of course, she also considers camping on the beach to be a luxury vacation, so I personally don't trust her opinion.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:35 PM   #9
babysimba
Two Bedroom

As a family, we have used Frontier 3x without any problems. We are using them again in October. We always pay the up charge for seat selection and luggage. Even with the up charge, way cheaper than Jet Blue or SW in our area. For a quick, direct flight, I can suck up the no frills/hard seats. I am also ok with bringing my own drink/snack. It also helped that our plane was brand new and super clean.

Last November, we flew out on SW and flew home on Frontier. Our daughter (small germaphobe), actually preferred Frontier over SW. We didn't tell her that Frontier was a budget airline and we also did not tell her their reputation. She preferred Frontier over SW because, frankly, the SW plane was dirty and the flight attendants weren't overly friendly. When we flew home, there was such a noticeable difference with cleanliness and the staff, we all liked our flight home (Frontier) better. To reiterate, we were on a brand new Frontier jet, so I am sure that made a difference.

Also, we are within 1-2 hours of three airports that all fly Frontier, so our fear of cancelled flights was minimal. If this wasn't the case, their reputation for cancelling flights would make me a little nervous.
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Flown Frontier a few times, not ideal by any stretch but serves the purpose. My primary concern is that there is only one flight a day to most destinations out of Trenton and a cancellation isnt a risk I prefer to take. From April to October Id more likely take my chances, when snow/ice is a possibility no way.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote