home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #1
DBridge
Studio

Default What are you telling people these days?

As DVC members, I'm sure we all get the questions repeatedly from family, friends, colleagues - "Should I buy in to DVC? Where, how much, direct/resale, etc?"

Curious from the experts here what you are telling people. Because for the first time in a long time, I honestly have no idea what to say.

Riviera is an unknown commodity and increasingly unfathomably expensive. It could be amazing, the skyliner could work perfect, but who knows... Resale values of Riviera are an unknown as well...

Is resale really that much of a deal currently? The more desirable resorts are a big question mark. VGF and VGC may in fact be more expensive on resale than buying Riviera direct currently. Poly is close. BLT is not far off and Disney is buying back close to 40% in 2019. BC is topping 150/point (which is insane to me for a contract that expires in 2042). Not to mention, Disney is buying back close to 40% of BC contracts.

Could never legitimately recommend that someone buy resale at HH, Vero, or Aulani given the difficulty of booking within 7 months and the increasingly astronomical MF's.

Which leaves the bulk of the savings at BW, AKL, BR, OKW, SSR. 4 of which are 2042 (not many 2057 OKW contracts out there). All of which Disney is buying back at 20% or greater and certainly any of the best deals. Are any of these contracts, still selling at 100+/point, worth recommending given the 2042 expirations, niche locations (AKL, SSR, OKW), 11 month window importance

Are you telling people to just run at this point and forgot DVC for awhile? Just keep renting points?
DBridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:37 AM   #2
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
As DVC members, I'm sure we all get the questions repeatedly from family, friends, colleagues - "Should I buy in to DVC? Where, how much, direct/resale, etc?"

Is resale really that much of a deal currently? The more desirable resorts are a big question mark. VGF and VGC may in fact be more expensive on resale than buying Riviera direct currently. Poly is close. BLT is not far off and Disney is buying back close to 40% in 2019. BC is topping 150/point (which is insane to me for a contract that expires in 2042). Not to mention, Disney is buying back close to 40% of BC contracts.

Could never legitimately recommend that someone buy resale at HH, Vero, or Aulani.
Are you telling people to just run at this point and forgot DVC for awhile? Just keep renting points?
Of course not. We love our DVC. Seriously. "Just run?" Huh? If anyone thinks that, why on Earth would you own.

To answer the questions....
I don't recommend renting.
I don't recommend resale, except to supplement first having bought at least 75 direct.
I do recommend buying of course. At least 75 points to lock in the perks.
(Provided people can afford it, blah blah. I wouldn't recommend people buy something that's not in their price range.)

Riviera was pretty reasonable with the early buyer discount. $170pp for 175 with full benefits and use anywhere was a good deal. I would recommend that. I would caution on the resale value. I think RR resale will not be an active market like we see with the O14. I have no desire to own a timeshare that can be used at the Riviera-only with no transfer options and no perks. So it should be approached like a timeshare, not something to buy and sell frequently.

I would not recommend AUL, VB, or HHI either. I would stay here if we want a change from Disney, but I wouldn't buy here. Add SSR/OKW to that list. Would never buy there. I would recommend properties with intrinsic location value... BLT, POLY, GF, BC, BW, RR... I would recommend any of these in an instant.

Last edited by fuzzylogic; 07-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #3
DBridge
Studio

Which leaves the bulk of the savings at BW, AKL, BR, OKW, SSR. 4 of which are 2042 (not many 2057 OKW contracts out there). All of which Disney is buying back at 20% or greater and certainly any of the best deals. Are any of these contracts, still selling at 100+/point, worth recommending given the 2042 expirations, niche locations (AKL, SSR, OKW), 11 month window importance

[/quote]

Sorry should say "3 of which are 2042"
Old 07-11-2019, 11:43 AM   #4
DBridge
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzylogic View Post
Of course not. We love our DVC. Seriously. "Just run?" Huh? If you think that, why on Earth would you own.
We bought awhile back at more "reasonable" times. This is not a bash DVC question. We love it. I'm just curious, at this moment/pricing/resale market, what everyone is recommending when asked.
Old 07-11-2019, 11:44 AM   #5
WDWGoof
Grand Villa

I don't go into too much detail but generally tell them SSR resale is the best deal (and a lovely resort). If they are picky to their own taste, I give them several web sites to do their own homework.
WDWGoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:01 PM   #6
fuzzylogic
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBridge View Post
We bought awhile back at more "reasonable" times. This is not a bash DVC question. We love it. I'm just curious, at this moment/pricing/resale market, what everyone is recommending when asked.
There's a general rule of buying properties. If you don't think what you own is worth the current price, then you should sell. I bought my BLT back at $180 direct and < $100 resale. Today these are $225 and $145. I'd still recommend them at those prices.
fuzzylogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #7
wishesfan13
Studio

I totally get what youíre saying. We still like dvc, it still works very well for us and our family. But, we bought direct in 2009 then added on resale two more times in the next couple years. I think itís very different then when we bought in.

If we bought blt today we would be paying double what we paid. That seems crazy. Resales are a lot more money too, have all the restrictions and seem to be taking longer then they did to close. Availability is much tighter then it was, luckily we mostly stay at our home resorts so we havenít had much issue with that, but I know itís a problem for quite a few people.

I used to tell people how great it was...now I feel like Iím telling them we like it, with a big, but itís a lot more money then it used to be. Honestly, as much as I love it I donít think we would be buying in today.
wishesfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #8
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDWGoof View Post
I don't go into too much detail but generally tell them SSR resale is the best deal (and a lovely resort). If they are picky to their own taste, I give them several web sites to do their own homework.
I always suggest a would be dvc owner rent first and do a lot of homework before they buy direst or resale.

Friends of mine had decided to buy with plans to spend every NewYears at wdw. I suggested they rent first at the resort they were going to buy for a News Years trip.

They did and decided no more New Years trips to Disney!

They still rent occasionally but did not buy.

Considering the prices future owners need to do a lot of research first.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:14 PM   #9
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I'd tell them I will help out with a rental however I can.

2 years ago I finally gave a semi recommendation for someone for DVC. The shenanigans this year with lock-off premiums increasing the point charts, statements that 1BR's are so popular that they need to raise the point requirements, the TOTWL change with virtually no notice and the new resort restrictions mean I'd send them running away completely. Before, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it I'd have offered information etc if I thought they sounded like it might be a product that was a good fit.

Yes I own and no I wouldn't recommend DVC direct. I never was a big one to recommend direct and have always been resale. If they still really pushed even though I directed them away I'd help them find a resale.
Old 07-11-2019, 12:45 PM   #10
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

First time, since we bought (2006), that I would tell folks NOT to buy. We will see how the rest of the year goes (several trips planned) and maybe I'll change my tune. But our March WDW trip was meh. Now I'm having lots of planning issues from ADRs disappearing to calling to change dates for HHI and having them unable to do it and tell me they're working on it and I'll get a confirmation e-mail once it's done (hopefully by Monday). Second time this has happened (one time trying to grab BCV for F&W as it was open and we cancelled my SSR to book. They swore I had it but after 2 weeks and seeing my original SSR get booked up, I freaked out. SSR popped back open so I grabbed it and told them never mind on the BCV). ALso add in the dues increasing like a mofo. And them trying to sneak in that points chart craziness. And them taking away BLT's July 4th at TOTWL at the 11th hour. And no DVC Gold pass SWGE previews. And AP prices rising like another mofo. And studios being tough to get thanks to greedy little mouse selling bungalows and cabins points while raising the cost so high that folks can only buy in at 75-100 points (if even).

Also the crowds at parks...pre-planning...Disney crappy IT...Disney not pre-planning for us...etc. It's just not so fun anymore. I am looking at a lot more HHI trips with my points than usual.

We'll see...I have an Aug HH trip with my mom. Then Sept-Oct WDW trip with all my inlaws. Then Dec WDW trip with friends. I am waiting on a June HHI resie (switched from Jan) to get booked...in a studio (better not lose it, she SWORE it was being held for me. Was with transfer points that she could not get them to show up after cancelling the Jan resie). We'll also see what the dues and point charts will be like next time. I have a feeling that crazy point chart will be back. And dues will hike 8% again.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-30 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-10, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America

Last edited by Lamima; 07-13-2019 at 11:42 AM.
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote