home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-10-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
MickeyChris
Studio

Default Hilton Head Questions

Hi everyone, we are headed to HHI for our first ever stay and have a question about the beach. We'll be there in late July/early August and I'm wondering what is available for chairs and shade. Do most people rent their chairs and umbrellas or bring their own? Besides being 'Disney people' we are also 'beach people' and normally at the beach we stay at condos that provide the chairs and we bring a 10x10 canopy for shade. Also wondering - is it easiest to drive to the beach or walk/bike? Do they provide any wagons/etc. to haul stuff from the resort to the beach? Do we need to get there early to find a parking spot? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by MickeyChris; 07-10-2019 at 03:15 PM.
MickeyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:36 PM   #2
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyChris View Post
Hi everyone, we are headed to HHI for our first ever stay and have a question about the beach. We'll be there in late July/early August and I'm wondering what is available for chairs and shade. Do most people rent their chairs and umbrellas or bring their own? Besides being 'Disney people' we are also 'beach people' and normally at the beach we stay at condos that provide the chairs and we bring a 10x10 canopy for shade. Also wondering - is it easiest to drive to the beach or walk/bike? Do they provide any wagons/etc. to haul stuff from the resort to the beach? Do we need to get there early to find a parking spot? Thanks for any advice!
Do most people rent their chairs and umbrellas or bring their own?

If staying for more than a day or two, I buy chair(s) and umbrella(s) from the CVS a few minutes south of the resort. Otherwise, you can pay to rent from the Disney beach house. And then leave the gear in the resort parking garage for someone else to use.

Also wondering - is it easiest to drive to the beach or walk/bike?

It is easy to drive. If you are going with no gear, it is also easy to walk or bike.

Do they provide any wagons/etc. to haul stuff from the resort to the beach?

There is a van to shuttle people from resort to the beach house, but I dont think there are wagons at the beach house to take stuff to the beach. But not 100% sure.

Do we need to get there early to find a parking spot?

There is indoor parking and outdoor parking. You might want to get there early to ensure an indoor spot (keep car in shade/cooler). Or if you are going later in the day, you will probably find a spot vacated by folks leaving who had been there all day.
Old 07-10-2019, 03:42 PM   #3
melk
Grand Villa

As far as renting or bringing your own gear I guess it depends on if you're flying or driving. We drove down to HH so we had packed our beach chairs, towels, toys for the kids, etc. Then we drove over to the beach house and unloaded our gear. You don't have to lug it through the beach house, there's a path. I don't remember them having any wagons to transport your stuff. So if you're spending the day over there, I recommend driving.

There were times we would bike over, like early morning or after dinner, when we weren't planning on staying as we couldn't have brought all our stuff with us on the bikes anyway.

I only remember one time when we couldn't get a parking space (this was an August visit and I think we had arrived about midday). I think my husband dropped us off and just waited around for something to open up.

Have a great trip!
melk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:10 PM   #4
MickeyChris
Studio

We'll be driving this trip so I'm thinking we will just stop by a Wal-Mart/target to buy a canopy and a few chairs. Is it easy to rent bikes there? Do you get them from the resort or is it better to go elsewhere? We'll be there for a week.
MickeyChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:22 PM   #5
ssdownthehatch
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MickeyChris View Post
We'll be driving this trip so I'm thinking we will just stop by a Wal-Mart/target to buy a canopy and a few chairs. Is it easy to rent bikes there? Do you get them from the resort or is it better to go elsewhere? We'll be there for a week.
It is easy to rent bikes from Disney. They have a small basket on them. I think it is a flat fee for length of stay. In other words, I think it is the same price for three days or seven days.

There are other rental places, including one on the road to the beach house. They might have nicer bicycles if that is important.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:02 PM   #6
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

I love HHI - so peacuful!

As for driving --- I like to take the shuttle so I dont get sand all in my car

Enjoy!

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:39 PM   #7
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Was just there and took shuttle. It was easy. If you call her she will come. It's no the 30 minute wait all the time. But usually we just drive across and park there. It's like a mile and a half across the road and easy. Can rent bikes from resort or across the road (like PP mentioned). They have a bike path and tunnel that goes under highway to cross road.

Also when Disney shuttle is done, you can call the other shuttle (Palmetto Dunes maybe or Shelter Cove) and they will take you. The Disney shuttle lady can give you a paper with the number.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 05:53 PM   #8
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyTravelers View Post
As for driving --- I like to take the shuttle so I dont get sand all in my car
!

We try to use the shuttle as much as possible even with all of our stuff for the same reason. I swear my son will have 1/2 a bucket of sand attached to him at all times.

They are so nice about coming with the shuttle when you call!!

Have a wonderful trip! HHI is the best!!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 06:06 PM   #9
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Was just there and took shuttle. It was easy. If you call her she will come. It's no the 30 minute wait all the time. But usually we just drive across and park there. It's like a mile and a half across the road and easy. Can rent bikes from resort or across the road (like PP mentioned). They have a bike path and tunnel that goes under highway to cross road.

Also when Disney shuttle is done, you can call the other shuttle (Palmetto Dunes maybe or Shelter Cove) and they will take you. The Disney shuttle lady can give you a paper with the number.
We took the shuttle, walked once (ooh, that was a hot trek!) and drove our own vehicle. The resort has a sign that will indicate whether or not the lot at Beach House is full (sometimes they forget to take the "Full" sign down when it's not full; better that way than the other way around). I didn't know about the tunnel. Where is that? I also didn't know about the other shuttles - we drove on days we were planning to stay beyond the 5:00 Disney shuttle run, but nice to know we wouldn't have to!

We rented our beach chairs and umbrellas from the lifeguards in the afternoon. The half-day pricing this summer has been $8 for the chair only, or $22 for two chairs and an umbrella between the hours of 1:00-5:00 (we were in the ocean or pool in the AM, had lunch at a beach restaurant, and lounged in the PM, so this schedule worked perfectly for our family). They take cash or credit card and are easy to find in their beach patrol chairs under red umbrellas. They will dig a hole for the umbrella and set up the chairs for you as well. If you reserve in advance, they will have everything ready and labeled with your name, and then you just search the row for your chairs Rental umbrellas do have to be set up and stay along the back row near the dunes, but we were told renters were free to move the chairs wherever we wanted, including up to water's edge. We never saw any that weren't under or near their umbrellas, though!
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 08:57 PM   #10
WiggleWorm
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post

We are going in two weeks, so this thread is perfect for me. We are planning on taking the shuttle (4 kids from 5-11) and I was lamenting the fact that wed have to leave at 5:00 because I love the beach in the evening. Thanks for this info.

Towel question: Does the beach house have them? Was hoping not to have to bring them from the hotel.
Thanks!
WiggleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote