home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-09-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Default Grand Destino Resort

I just saw pictures of the new Tower rooms. They are lovely and have a Keurig and small fridge. They seem very upscale for a moderate .

I hope dvc rooms will all get Keurigs soon.
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 05:56 PM   #2
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shewill View Post
I just saw pictures of the new Tower rooms. They are lovely and have a Keurig and small fridge. They seem very upscale for a moderate .

These rooms are intended to attract more of the Convention attendees, maybe those who would otherwise stay at the Yacht Club or Contemporary. That probably explains the amenities.

They are definitely blurring the edges between categories now. The updates at POP look to have moved it more towards AoA and the moderates. Now CSR with the Tower.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:04 PM   #3
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Plan on paying that new rooftop restaurant a visit in October. Likely December as well.
Brian5581 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:19 PM   #4
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
These rooms are intended to attract more of the Convention attendees, maybe those who would otherwise stay at the Yacht Club or Contemporary. That probably explains the amenities.

They are definitely blurring the edges between categories now. The updates at POP look to have moved it more towards AoA and the moderates. Now CSR with the Tower.
It is interesting to see the hotel side of the house at different locations (comparing hotel rooms at Polynesian, Boardwalk Inn to DVC studios, for instance), and I will admit sometimes I feel a slight tinge of being short-changed as a DVC owner. Don't get me wrong, we still love our membership and have absolutely no regrets, but I don't get why even the small amenities like toiletries, robes, water, etc. aren't consistent between hotel and DVC for the same resort. Welcome Home doesn't mean I don't want to feel like I'm on vacation - I like to be pampered, too! And while I'm not a coffee drinker, I agree that a Keurig in each DVC is the least they could do when they are placing them in standard rooms.
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 10:29 PM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:

Only if the Keurig has a "full pot" mode in addition to single mug. We travel as a family and all want coffee together ... not one-at-a-time.
bwvBound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:34 PM   #6
goldilocks_63
Grand Villa

Wink

Quote:

I went to the RR models. The Murphy bed was comfortable to me (very firm).

But as a couch is was rock hard and uncomfortable.

Goldi
goldilocks_63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 11:38 PM   #7
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

http://https://www.bizjournals.com/orlando/news/2019/07/09/disney-combines-art-and-efficiency-at-gran-destino.html?ana=yahoo&yptr=yahoo#g/456721/38

Very nice!!

I like the Chronos club option and all the rooftop places.
I wish it had a separate pool.

I would definitely use cash to stay there. This is where it’s good as current owners to diversify with points and cash. We have liquidity and fluidity to move between points and cash and I intend to use whatever makes my travel enjoyable.

We don’t have to purchase every new DVC resort they are selling and continue to pay for their resort remodels and upgrades. I’m sure $20k will get a few nights on Chronos level.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:23 AM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

This is not a moderate. It's been mentioned for awhile that Disney wants or maybe intends to get away from the value/moderate/deluxe distinctions and it looks like Coronado is definitely the start of combining things together.

The hotel looks quite lovely but they lose me at the rooms which I do not find appealing in the pictures. I'm definitely not on the same page with the current interior designers Disney is using.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:18 AM   #9
Leftcoaster
Founding Member

I thought the interiors were gorgeous. The rooms, ok. not bad, not great. The outside is boring, plain, and generic.

"Being a princess means so much more than wearing a tiara and a pretty dress" - Cinderellabration
Leftcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 02:30 AM   #10
MMC1
Grand Villa

The outside is actually distinctively illuminated with a unique alternating light display that changes color at night. It is also very pretty to walk around at night time with the 3 Bridges Bar & Grill situated on the waterfront at the meeting place of the three Bridges.

I just discovered the Western Way entrance to Disney property. I guess this will help with traffic flow. This road borders the resort property and leads to a new construction zone off property of many apartment buildings and probably more restaurants and a Publix maybe ?

I really like Disney adding a building like this to a property that I would have never considered to visit or stay at. Now I am trying to imagine more tall building s with rooftop views on property.
Think this idea would work on Saratoga Springs property?

And a comment on another board :
Disney is in the hotel business and not theme parks. I guess this is true
When did this happen and how and why ?
I guess DVC people aren’t the only group to like to hang out on Disney Resort property with an occasional few hours at the theme park.

Last edited by MMC1; 07-10-2019 at 03:20 AM.
MMC1 is online now   Reply With Quote