home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-06-2019, 10:12 AM   #1
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Default With all this required pre-planning...

I have a very simple question that maybe some of you can answer. With all this required pre-planning for all Disney trips, why don't they announce everything that is planned within 6, or even better, 11 months?!?

For example, we all know that we should book our DVC reservations 11 months out to get our rooms, but most regular Disney travelers don't plan that far out. OK.

How about the fact that Disney "highly encourages" you to book dining 180 days out? This means that you should pick your travel dates at least 180 days out to make sure you get those dining ressies. However, park hours for the length of trip aren't usually available then and change all the time. ALSO they don't announce a lot of the planned events (MM, DAH, Villians, etc.) until much closer to your travel dates if you're traveling in the first few months of the year. Sorry for the rant, but I am so annoyed that I am told to plan at least 6 months out which isn't really possible if there is even a remote chance we want to attend any of these events because I have no idea when they are taking place!
Old 07-06-2019, 10:24 AM   #2
JCinWonderland
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChick View Post
I have a very simple question that maybe some of you can answer. With all this required pre-planning for all Disney trips, why don't they announce everything that is planned within 6, or even better, 11 months?!?

For example, we all know that we should book our DVC reservations 11 months out to get our rooms, but most regular Disney travelers don't plan that far out. OK.

How about the fact that Disney "highly encourages" you to book dining 180 days out? This means that you should pick your travel dates at least 180 days out to make sure you get those dining ressies. However, park hours for the length of trip aren't usually available then and change all the time. ALSO they don't announce a lot of the planned events (MM, DAH, Villians, etc.) until much closer to your travel dates if you're traveling in the first few months of the year. Sorry for the rant, but I am so annoyed that I am told to plan at least 6 months out which isn't really possible if there is even a remote chance we want to attend any of these events because I have no idea when they are taking place!
You are preaching to the choir! You and I canít be the only ones who are annoyed by the whole process of the trickle of how everything ďrollsĒ out until youíre finally at two weeks pre-trip and park hours are finally set but then you realize that your already booked ADRs and FP+ donít allow you to make changes easily.

Sometimes I think with the one timers, and those who arenít hyper planners and can just go with the flow, that thereís this ignorance is bliss feeling that I am missing out on. But I already know better, and so I plan. Starting more than a year out.
JCinWonderland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Right there with ya. Candlelight Processional narrators still not listed....5 months out. Gosh, dont even think all the Eat to the Beat concerts are listed yet. And them taking away July 4th TOTWL, what, one month prior. Yep, it is very clear that, in regards to us DVC folks, they have our money and don't give a rat's patootty about our continued satisfaction...not even the slightest.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:41 AM   #4
WiggleWorm
Studio

Default Yes!

Quote:

I COMPLETELY agree! I find this maddening! I pick restaurants/meals based on which park we will be at...then I get locked in only to find out thatís the park with extra magic hours or something. I just donít understand how they donít have the schedule out a year in advance (or 11 months...or even 7 months!). From going many times, I know the general schedule, like one water park is always closed in the winter, the summer hours are longer, the holiday hours are longer, etc., but you canít tell me they donít know the hours of operation in advance. Ugh!
WiggleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:46 AM   #5
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Right there with ya. Candlelight Processional narrators still not listed....5 months out. Gosh, dont even think all the Eat to the Beat concerts are listed yet. And them taking away July 4th TOTWL, what, one month prior. Yep, it is very clear that, in regards to us DVC folks, they have our money and don't give a rat's patootty about our continued satisfaction...not even the slightest.
Honestly, I kept quiet about the TOTWL thing only because I thought it was so ridiculous, and I didn't want to get carried away. It is really bad business to announce that access will be limited to a paid event at TOTWL on the 4th just a few weeks before someone's trip that has been planned for months. Because of this, I am going to try and make a dinner ressie on 7/3 next year at Cali Grill because who knows if the 3rd will be blocked out next year as well. I fully understand that they are within their rights to do it, but it doesn't make it "right".

Quote:
Originally Posted by WiggleWorm View Post
I COMPLETELY agree! I find this maddening! I pick restaurants/meals based on which park we will be at...then I get locked in only to find out thatís the park with extra magic hours or something. I just donít understand how they donít have the schedule out a year in advance (or 11 months...or even 7 months!). From going many times, I know the general schedule, like one water park is always closed in the winter, the summer hours are longer, the holiday hours are longer, etc., but you canít tell me they donít know the hours of operation in advance. Ugh!
I have found that if you make an ADR at any of the parks on a particular day, it shows you the park hours including EMH in "My Plans" on MDE even if not listed on the Disney website yet. I don't know how accurate these are, but I can let you know after all the calendars are published for my travel dates in the next few days. Maybe this will be the new annoying workaround to see park hours prior to 6 months. You'll have to make ADR's at all the parks you plan to enter that day and then cancel what you don't want. It just keeps getting more and more complicated and is completely unnecessary. I agree that they should publish park hours 7 months in advance.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:51 AM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Wow! Somebody got the un-sweetened koolaid today! Just kidding! Of course the official answer to your question is ďIím sorry maíam, but we donít release that information to the public.Ē

I think we all feel your pain. Itís ridiculous to expect us to plan, plan, plan for a year, and then have them drop things on us at the last minute.
Old 07-06-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
MMC1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Honestly, I kept quiet about the TOTWL thing only because I thought it was so ridiculous, and I didn't want to get carried away. It is really bad business to announce that access will be limited to a paid event at TOTWL on the 4th just a few weeks before someone's trip that has been planned for months. Because of this, I am going to try and make a dinner ressie on 7/3 next year at Cali Grill because who knows if the 3rd will be blocked out next year as well. I fully understand that they are within their rights to do it, but it doesn't make it "right".

Thank you. I read a report from a DVC fan of how wonderful the evening was with only 75 people for Sold Out Event and incredible food & beverage & hospitality.. and many angry owners in lobby.

Thatís OKay Texas had better fireworks anyway, right TxChick?
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 10:54 AM   #8
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
Wow! Somebody got the un-sweetened koolaid today! Just kidding! Of course the official answer to your question is ďIím sorry maíam, but we donít release that information to the public.Ē

I think we all feel your pain. Itís ridiculous to expect us to plan, plan, plan for a year, and then have them drop things on us at the last minute.
It's honestly because I am trying to figure out to do with tickets/AP's as well as ADR's for our January trip, and the park hours and special events will play a very big role in that. Hopefully, they offer an AP deal despite all odds because supposedly the bookings are down. I know it isn't likely, but a girl can dream...
Old 07-06-2019, 10:55 AM   #9
TexasChick
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMC1 View Post
Thank you. I read a report from a DVC fan of how wonderful the evening was with only 75 people for Sold Out Event and incredible food & beverage & hospitality.. and many angry owners in lobby.

That’s OKay Texas had better fireworks anyway, right TxChick?
I did get to watch our own firework show from my pool. DH and my BIL were very happily setting them off while my sister and I were just hanging out in the pool. It may not have been "Disney level" fireworks, but it was fun especially since they have increased the level of fireworks allowed for private purchase!
Old 07-06-2019, 11:02 AM   #10
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post

These days, there is lots of unsweetened koolaid being distributed by Disney.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote