home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 01:52 PM   #1
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

Default New Charging Policy Nightmare

Hope this makes sense as I am typing on my little phone.

So we are finishing up a two week split stay between VGF and AKV Kidani. First leg of the trip I checked my credit card every couple of days and there were daily charges then one large charge when we checked out for the whole stay. Checked into Kidani and got the obligatory $100 charge then one more.

Today, the day before check out, I checked my credit card and boom half of those daily charges are still sitting on my card plus the end charge for the full amount plus two new charges from Kidani. So I am super anal about my money so I call my credit card company and they say Disney has to release the hold on the card. The front desk says they can’t, then they call Disney billing who swears it was released. Call back to my credit card company who says no it wasn’t released and once the authorization is made it doesn’t fall off until ten days later or the company cancels the charge. Either way between all the charges and authorizations granted I have over $650 on my credit card in hold I cannot use until Disney releases it or my ten days are up.

I cannot tell you how much I hate the new charging policy!
Disney Spaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:57 PM   #2
robinb
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disney Spaz View Post
Hope this makes sense as I am typing on my little phone.

So we are finishing up a two week split stay between VGF and AKV Kidani. First leg of the trip I checked my credit card every couple of days and there were daily charges then one large charge when we checked out for the whole stay. Checked into Kidani and got the obligatory $100 charge then one more.

Today, the day before check out, I checked my credit card and boom half of those daily charges are still sitting on my card plus the end charge for the full amount plus two new charges from Kidani. So I am super anal about my money so I call my credit card company and they say Disney has to release the hold on the card. The front desk says they can’t, then they call Disney billing who swears it was released. Call back to my credit card company who says no it wasn’t released and once the authorization is made it doesn’t fall off until ten days later or the company cancels the charge. Either way between all the charges and authorizations granted I have over $650 on my credit card in hold I cannot use until Disney releases it or my ten days are up.

I cannot tell you how much I hate the new charging policy!
So, the $650 is all holds? No real charges? That seems a lot for two stays. If I were close to my limit I would be really mad!

robinb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 01:58 PM   #3
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

From now on, I am not placing a credit card on file.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:06 PM   #4
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinb View Post
So, the $650 is all holds? No real charges? That seems a lot for two stays. If I were close to my limit I would be really mad!
Actually for this credit card we hit the limit and current have $1 available on our credit line which is why I was so mad. They maxed my card out when I wasn’t even close. Each day the VGF charged the card some amount around $100-$140 for about what we spent that day it just ended up building up. What nobody can explain is why some of the days that were authorized did disappear and why some didn’t. Everyone is blaming the other party but either way $650 is a lot to tie up IMHO.

I told the front desk it maxed my card out and asked how my family was supposed to eat tonight. The response was to say I should share my concerns on my survey I receive at the end of my trip. Needless to say very unmagical when it is Disney’s policy that created this mess.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
From now on, I am not placing a credit card on file.
That’s our plan from now on. I wouldn’t care if you charged my card each day for my charges but not to then charge again at the end.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

OP, sorry to hear about this! What a nightmare! As I read more and more of these reports, I’m beginning to rethink the whole “charge it to the room” idea. I have to carry my DVC card or AP for discounts anyway, so I’ll just add GC’s or my CC to the wallet and be done with it. Hope you get this fixed really soon!

Let’s see... you no longer have to stay “on site” to get EMH or premium booking windows for FP. They will deliver packages to your resort, but not your room. They’ve complicated the room charge system. I’m having a tough time justifying the premium prices for less than premium service. Disney needs to take a page from the cruise line and start giving us an “on property credit” for sleeping with the mouse!

Last edited by ermindy1133; 07-03-2019 at 02:32 PM.
ermindy1133 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #7
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
OP, sorry to hear about this! What a nightmare! As I read more and more of these reports, I’m beginning to rethink the whole “charge it to the room” idea. I have to carry my DVC card or AP for discounts anyway, so I’ll just add GC’s or my CC to the wallet and be done with it. Hope you get this fixed really soon!

Let’s see... you no longer have to stay “on site” to get EMH or premium booking windows for FP. They will deliver packages to your resort, but not your room. They’ve complicated the room charge system. I’m having a tough time justifying the premium prices for less than premium service. Disney needs to take a page from the cruise line and start giving us an “on property credit” for sleeping with the mouse!
Thanks, this was the first trip we have been on where we are excited to leave. So many wonderful CM’s who we were impressed with but the policies are becoming hard to deal with. My sons girlfriend was smart she is using all gift cards. I am taking a page from her from now on.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:41 PM   #8
TriciaS
Two Bedroom

What is the new policy?

We charge everything back to our room and pay the credit card bill when we get home.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:53 PM   #9
Disney Spaz
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriciaS View Post
What is the new policy?

We charge everything back to our room and pay the credit card bill when we get home.
Instead of one charge at the end of the trip they do an authorization for $100 at the start and then an authorization each day with a final charge at the end. The problem happens when those authorizations are still there after the final charge off.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:57 PM   #10
SnowWhite4
Grand Villa

We were there in April and charged the majority of our meals back to the room. I just kept all our receipts and it all worked out. Just paid my balance when I got home. We did not have a split stay, however.

I’m sorry you are having this trouble. It seems like there are bugs in Disney’s system that should be addressed.

Last edited by SnowWhite4; 07-03-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Correction
SnowWhite4 is online now   Reply With Quote