home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado
 
Shewill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Georgia
Posts: 8,539
Default Scooter lawsuits and accidents

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...417-story.html

Going downhill backwards in a scooter is asking for an accident.

I have the hardest time getting on boards and off the monorail with a scooter.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,239
Default

I really donít know what the answer is for the scooter issue. Some people have to have them to enjoy Disney. And other people are always going to glare and judge. The parks are so crowded now, that even walking can be a challenge.
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
bakerworld
Grand Villa
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 4,457
Default

We just avoid the buses unless we NEED to visit DS and then we don't sit in the dreaded grey seats.

Truthfully, with the buses (beep - beep - beep) out of the picture, scooters have never been an issue. Of course, I do travel with my own personal guard/spouse who so routinely pulls me out of the way of small children, curbs, and oncoming motorized vehicles of any sort that I don't even notice the 'adjustment' or whatever it is he's maneuvering me around.
__________________
Janet & Dan
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We just avoid the buses unless we NEED to visit DS and then we don't sit in the dreaded grey seats.

Truthfully, with the buses (beep - beep - beep) out of the picture, scooters have never been an issue. Of course, I do travel with my own personal guard/spouse who so routinely pulls me out of the way of small children, curbs, and oncoming motorized vehicles of any sort that I don't even notice the 'adjustment' or whatever it is he's maneuvering me around.
You have one of those too? Very handy, arenít they!
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado
 
brp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA
Posts: 16,315
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I really donít know what the answer is for the scooter issue. Some people have to have them to enjoy Disney. And other people are always going to glare and judge. The parks are so crowded now, that even walking can be a challenge.
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

My mind may still look at someone and wonder, but I really do know better now.

Cheers.
__________________
"...And your head is spinning from a loud guitar"
brp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado
 
ermindy1133's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 7,239
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

My mind may still look at someone and wonder, but I really do know better now.

Cheers.
Iím a nurse, and I know better. But sometimes Iím guilty too. I think itís just the rotten part of human nature. But Iím always very stern with myself when I realize that Iím judging someone, and remind myself not to be such a bitch.
__________________
(ME, Mindy) (DH, Tim) (DS, Brandon) (DD, Emily, Emma, or Princess, lol!) (DSGF, Heather)
ermindy1133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
bakerworld
Grand Villa
 
bakerworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PA
Posts: 4,457
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
You have one of those too? Very handy, arenít they!


Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

My mind may still look at someone and wonder, but I really do know better now.

Cheers.
I tend to ignore negative rumblings however once it became impossible so I sat them down and endeavored to explain various issues that can develop concerning their fellow vacationers need for transport. They could see it bothered me (they're so use to me just disregarding their opinions ) so for the most there is silence - which was my focus. "If you've nothing good to say then say nothing at all."
__________________
Janet & Dan
bakerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado
 
helenabear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 10,784
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

My mind may still look at someone and wonder, but I really do know better now.

Cheers.
Sorry for your SIL. I have back issues from childhood and I am sure I get glares when I go for the DAS. I can walk but standing still and sitting still are killer for me. I don't look like I need it either I bet.

My aunt has CP (among other things) and used one before she was confined to a chair. I'm sure many thought she was just overweight and lazy. Unless they tried to watch her walk or talk or eat.... but at a glance she just looked lazy I bet.
__________________
helenabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado
 
lovindisney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: a trip away from Disney!
Posts: 9,602
Default

It is hard not to judge but we shouldn't judge. There are many physical and invisible illnesses that would cause a person to need a scooter. They are what they are, but some folks could not enjoy the park without one.

That said, I do agree going down the ramp backwards is not a great idea. I personally have rented a scooter twice for broken bones. Maybe Disney needs to tag team these individuals or come up with another creative idea.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom
 
DVC Doctor's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Magic Kingdom
Posts: 582
Default

They need "scooter lanes" like the "HOV lanes" on I-95
__________________
"I only hope that we don't lose sight of one thing - that it was all started by a mouse" - Walt Disney
DVC Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:10 PM.

© MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images © The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software