home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-03-2019, 09:49 AM   #1
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Default Scooter lawsuits and accidents

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/busi...417-story.html

Going downhill backwards in a scooter is asking for an accident.

I have the hardest time getting on boards and off the monorail with a scooter.
Shewill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:18 AM   #2
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I really donít know what the answer is for the scooter issue. Some people have to have them to enjoy Disney. And other people are always going to glare and judge. The parks are so crowded now, that even walking can be a challenge.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #3
bakerworld
Grand Villa

We just avoid the buses unless we NEED to visit DS and then we don't sit in the dreaded grey seats.

Truthfully, with the buses (beep - beep - beep) out of the picture, scooters have never been an issue. Of course, I do travel with my own personal guard/spouse who so routinely pulls me out of the way of small children, curbs, and oncoming motorized vehicles of any sort that I don't even notice the 'adjustment' or whatever it is he's maneuvering me around.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerworld View Post
We just avoid the buses unless we NEED to visit DS and then we don't sit in the dreaded grey seats.

Truthfully, with the buses (beep - beep - beep) out of the picture, scooters have never been an issue. Of course, I do travel with my own personal guard/spouse who so routinely pulls me out of the way of small children, curbs, and oncoming motorized vehicles of any sort that I don't even notice the 'adjustment' or whatever it is he's maneuvering me around.
You have one of those too? Very handy, arenít they!
Old 07-03-2019, 10:47 AM   #5
brp
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
I really donít know what the answer is for the scooter issue. Some people have to have them to enjoy Disney. And other people are always going to glare and judge. The parks are so crowded now, that even walking can be a challenge.
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

My mind may still look at someone and wonder, but I really do know better now.

Cheers.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:58 AM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
I'll be honest- I used to be a glare and judge (well, not glare, but I would judge). It was not intentional, it just seemed to me that *that* person shouldn't need a scooter. Would never say anything, but that is what ran through my mind.

Until my sister-in-law developed serious back problems (congenital, but they began to manifest that much worse) in hr early 40s and needed a scooter at WDW. Slim, fit, etc. Not the person you'd ever think *needed* that scooter.

Cheers.
Iím a nurse, and I know better. But sometimes Iím guilty too. I think itís just the rotten part of human nature. But Iím always very stern with myself when I realize that Iím judging someone, and remind myself not to be such a bitch.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59 AM   #7
bakerworld
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
You have one of those too? Very handy, arenít they!

Quote:

Cheers.
I tend to ignore negative rumblings however once it became impossible so I sat them down and endeavored to explain various issues that can develop concerning their fellow vacationers need for transport. They could see it bothered me (they're so use to me just disregarding their opinions ) so for the most there is silence - which was my focus. "If you've nothing good to say then say nothing at all."
Old 07-03-2019, 11:04 AM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

Cheers.
Sorry for your SIL. I have back issues from childhood and I am sure I get glares when I go for the DAS. I can walk but standing still and sitting still are killer for me. I don't look like I need it either I bet.

My aunt has CP (among other things) and used one before she was confined to a chair. I'm sure many thought she was just overweight and lazy. Unless they tried to watch her walk or talk or eat.... but at a glance she just looked lazy I bet.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #9
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

It is hard not to judge but we shouldn't judge. There are many physical and invisible illnesses that would cause a person to need a scooter. They are what they are, but some folks could not enjoy the park without one.

That said, I do agree going down the ramp backwards is not a great idea. I personally have rented a scooter twice for broken bones. Maybe Disney needs to tag team these individuals or come up with another creative idea.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 12:32 PM   #10
DVC Doctor
Two Bedroom

They need "scooter lanes" like the "HOV lanes" on I-95