home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 07-01-2019, 12:51 PM   #1
robgoofyrm
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Hagrid's Magical Creature ride question

Hello Everyone,

I have an upcoming Universal & Disney Trip. On July 14th & 15th I will be staying on Universal property the Royal pacific Hotel which will give my family express pass. I know Hagrid's does not take express. I heard it will eventually have a virtual queue but that is not up as of today correct? I also heard because of technical difficulties the ride doesn't open at park opening. My question does anyone know the best time to try and ride it. Because I am staying on property will have have early morning access before non resort guess? Any suggestions on the best time to try and get on the ride would be greatly appreciated. I will be at Universal for three days and I would like to get on the ride at least once. Two of those three days I will have express for all the other rides. Thoughts or strategies??

Thank you,
Rob
robgoofyrm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:02 PM   #2
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by robgoofyrm View Post
Hello Everyone,

I have an upcoming Universal & Disney Trip. On July 14th & 15th I will be staying on Universal property the Royal pacific Hotel which will give my family express pass. I know Hagrid's does not take express. I heard it will eventually have a virtual queue but that is not up as of today correct? I also heard because of technical difficulties the ride doesn't open at park opening. My question does anyone know the best time to try and ride it. Because I am staying on property will have have early morning access before non resort guess? Any suggestions on the best time to try and get on the ride would be greatly appreciated. I will be at Universal for three days and I would like to get on the ride at least once. Two of those three days I will have express for all the other rides. Thoughts or strategies??

Thank you,
Rob
Based on posts in the UOAP facebook group, unfortunately the best way to get on is to show up early and wait for hours until it opens. With the frequent shutdowns due to weather and failures, the operating window appears to be pretty short on most days. I'm not sure if they open the line for early hours or not until park opening. But if you're in that area by park opening, you should get on.
PSULion22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM   #3
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Just me, but I’d say the best time to try to ride would be on your next visit, when they’ve hopefully worked everything out. Spend your time enjoying the rest of the park, or better yet, sipping a tasty beverage back at your hotel’s pool bar.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:51 PM   #4
uwdude
One Bedroom

Vote number 2 for sipping a tasty beverage at the pool bar instead of waiting hours in a queue in the heat, lol.
uwdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:03 PM   #5
BGparadise
Studio

You are correct that the queue does not take express nor does it open at park opening.

I was fortunate to ride twice during opening weekend (both on Saturday and Sunday). Both times we waited about 2 hours though I heard some waited up to 7. That being said I found those that had the most success waited until the evening. We got into queue around 8 and shortly after they would close the queue since it would go to about close time to get everyone on (~ 10 pm). While weather can be a risk at any time I found most of the storms were in the heat of the day and lessened as it cooled.

No matter what there are a lot of variables it is just about maximizing chance and minimizing waits.
BGparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 02:17 PM   #6
PSULion22
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by uwdude View Post
Vote number 2 for sipping a tasty beverage at the pool bar instead of waiting hours in a queue in the heat, lol.
Luckily they are running the queue in the Sinbad building, so it's covered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGparadise View Post
You are correct that the queue does not take express nor does it open at park opening.

I was fortunate to ride twice during opening weekend (both on Saturday and Sunday). Both times we waited about 2 hours though I heard some waited up to 7. That being said I found those that had the most success waited until the evening. We got into queue around 8 and shortly after they would close the queue since it would go to about close time to get everyone on (~ 10 pm). While weather can be a risk at any time I found most of the storms were in the heat of the day and lessened as it cooled.

No matter what there are a lot of variables it is just about maximizing chance and minimizing waits.
Since they shortened the operating hours, the ride has been reaching capacity on some days by 4 or 5 pm. I've been seeing a lot of stories of people getting into the line at 1 or 2 pm, and waiting 6 hours through multiple delays, only to be told they can't ride. This appears to be especially if there is rain or lightning any time after 7 pm (even if park close is later). Right now, the only way to definitely ride is to show up as early as possible and wait. Anything after that is a crapshoot.
Old 07-01-2019, 02:49 PM   #7
PurrfectPrincess
One Bedroom

Just returned from there. The wait time was 240 minutes. That's right, 4 hours! And no, the do not open the ride early.
PurrfectPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:24 PM   #8
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I am going there in October but there is absolutely no way I wait in line that long! People must be crazy!

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 03:44 PM   #9
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Id just watch their wait times app but I hear it is still insane. Maybe it will make the wait times for the other rides shorter if all of the world in is in the Hagrid line...?

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:04 PM   #10
PSULion22
Grand Villa

FYI OP - Universal has now reversed their strategy for Hagrid's. It will open with park opening but close earlier than the park does, with no pre-announced or consistent time. If you want to ride, it is now absolutely critical that you get there early and wait in line. It looks like those low wait times later in the day are going to go away.