home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-19-2019, 08:43 AM   #1
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Default Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea Wrecked Disney for Me

Clickbaity title: check

Summary: Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are so incredible that I don’t think I will ever fully enjoy Disneyland or DisneyWorld again.

Why: Where to begin. Before we get into the splendor that are imaginative attractions and shows that are some of the very best I’ve ever seen, let’s begin with the obvious little things.

The Guests: Well behaved. Polite. Parades are simple where everyone politely takes their space on little mats and there’s no arguing or even annoying screens. They don’t even need ropes! It’s crowd control at its finest because the crowd controls itself.

The Cast Members: Disney the way it used to be. All Cast members wave all the time. There’s no idling. They love their job or fake it better than most. They tell you how long it is to wait even though a sign says it. When it’s short, they encourage you to jump in line. It’s a giant welcoming committee and you are the star.

Cleanliness: It is insanely clean. We couldn’t find trash anywhere. They scrub the monorails (which are far superior and super comfy).

Pristine: All attractions are in tip top shape. Breakdowns are rare and all effects work. Their small world and Sindbads Voyagr are two of the best examples l.

I’ll write a follow up on the attractions and specific shows later. I’ll never be able to watch Fantasmic again without thinking about this far superior version. Mickey playing the drums in Big Band Beat was mind blowingly cool.

Merchandise and prices: No real gouging here. Sodas and water bottles are $1.75. Ice cream bars and some very unique treats are $3. Merchandise is high quality and often unique to each land like good old days. Even food wrappings napkins, and cups are often themed to each land. Full immersion. The little details are Classic Disney. Even their Pirates is the pre 90s PC police version.

Fastpasses: Free and fair paper tickets. A little old school, but it works. No advance planning! Heavenly.

If you want to take a time machine to the way Disney used to run its parks, take a flight to tokyo.

Why are the best Disney theme parks run by a non-Disney company?

Again, I haven’t even gotten into the attractions yet, but I will never be able to fully enjoy US Disney parks again. This is how I remember Disney parks and this is the new standard for me. Reasonable prices. Full immersion. Great storytelling. High production value. Amazing Disney service.

They stole my heart and reminded me to believe in Disney Magic again.
ďToo many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.Ē ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)

Last edited by GiantsNiners11; 06-19-2019 at 08:59 AM.
GiantsNiners11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:50 AM   #2
Princess Amy
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
Clickbaity title: check

Summary: Tokyo Disneyland and DisneySea are so incredible that I donít think I will ever fully enjoy Disneyland or DisneyWorld again.

Why: Where to begin. Before we get into the splendor that are imaginative attractions and shows that are some of the very best Iíve ever seen, letís begin with the obvious little things.

The Guests: Well behaved. Polite. Parades are simple where everyone politely takes their space on little mats and thereís no arguing or even annoying screens. They donít even need ropes! Itís crowd control at its finest because the crowd controls itself.

The Cast Members: Disney the way it used to be. All Cast members wave all the time. Thereís no idling. They love their job or fake it better than most. They tell you how long it is to wait even though a sign says it. When itís short, they encourage you to jump in line. Itís a giant welcoming committee and you are the star.

Cleanliness: It is insanely clean. We couldnít find trash anywhere. They scrub the monorails (which are far superior and super comfy).

Pristine: All attractions are in tip top shape. Breakdowns are rare and all effects work. Their small world and Sindbads Voyagr are two of the best examples l.

Iíll write a follow up on the attractions and specific shows later. Iíll never be able to watch Fantasmic again without thinking about this far superior version. Mickey playing the drums in Big Band Beat was mind blowingly cool.

Merchandise and prices: No real gouging here. Sodas and water bottles are $1.75. Ice cream bars and some very unique treats are $3. Merchandise is high quality and often unique to each land like good old days. Even food wrappings napkins, and cups are often themed to each land. Full immersion. The little details are Classic Disney. Even their Pirates is the pre 90s PC police version.

If you want to take a time machine to the way Disney used to run itís parks, take a flight to tokyo.

Why are the best Disney theme parks run by a non-Disney company?

Again, I havenít even gotten into the attractions yet, but I will never be able to fully enjoy US Disney parks fully again. This is how I remember Disney parks and this is the new standard for me. Reasonable prices. Full immersion. Great storytelling. High production value. Amazing Disney service.

They stole my heart and reminded me to believe in Disney Magic again.
Donít forgot about the amazing varieties of popcorn

1993 Euro DIsney, 1996 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 Disney Grand CA, 2002 Grand Floridian, 2002 The Swan Resort, 2007 Disney Paradise Pier, 2009 SSR, 2009 Disney Grand CA, 2010 Animal Kingdom, 2010 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Disney Grand CA, 2012 Disneyland Hotel, 2012 BCV and OKW, 2013 Art of Animation and Beach Club Villas, 2014 Disney Grand CA, 2015 Beach Club Villas, Fort Wilderness, 2016 Fort Wilderness, BCV

Trip Reports and Other Posts:
Panama Cruise
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30303
WDW Picture Trip Report
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47299
Mickey Tye Dye Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32848
Matching Family Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=14
Princess Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:54 AM   #3
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Amy View Post
The food is good in some spots and average in others. Since food is so individual, I left it out.

I did walk away with 3 popcorn buckets though. 😍
ďToo many people grow up. That's the real trouble with the world, too many people grow up. They forget. They don't remember what it's like to be 12 years old. They patronize, they treat children as inferiors. Well I won't do that.Ē ~Walt Disney

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
Old 06-19-2019, 08:57 AM   #4
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I'm glad you had such a great time. What a wonderful opportunity!

I suspect the people behavior is linked with Japanese culture and the park quality is linked with Disney having partnered with a company who knew Disney's standards and refused to downgrade them. *cough* *cough*

Remember, Disneyland Paris was also owned by another entity that nearly ran it into the ground. Disney had to buy controlling interest and then buy it outright before things improved. Recent trip reports show Paris is also becoming a very good park.

Maybe the question isn't why a non-disney owned park is so great, but why the US parks are such a challenge! (Cans open. Worms everywhere. Rhetorical. Don't answer.)

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 08:58 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Hey - Epcot had three flavors in Future World West on our last trip until they closed the stand at 4 pm . . .

Dirk

Old 06-19-2019, 09:01 AM   #6
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Not answering because itís obvious.

I truly felt like a valued guest in Tokyo disney parks...not a wallet.

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:08 AM   #7
Princess Amy
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Hey - Epcot had three flavors in Future World West on our last trip until they closed the stand at 4 pm . . .

Dirk
True! However it is not nearly as good for some reason......they had curry, strawberry, chocolate, shrimp, bbq, caramel, cheddar cheese, buffalo.......they were amazing! The popcorn buckets were crazy cute too and people would bring them all in the park.....I saw many people with 3-4 buckets!

1993 Euro DIsney, 1996 Disneyland Hotel, 2001 Disney Grand CA, 2002 Grand Floridian, 2002 The Swan Resort, 2007 Disney Paradise Pier, 2009 SSR, 2009 Disney Grand CA, 2010 Animal Kingdom, 2010 Beach Club Villas, 2011 Disney Grand CA, 2012 Disneyland Hotel, 2012 BCV and OKW, 2013 Art of Animation and Beach Club Villas, 2014 Disney Grand CA, 2015 Beach Club Villas, Fort Wilderness, 2016 Fort Wilderness, BCV

Trip Reports and Other Posts:
Panama Cruise
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30303
WDW Picture Trip Report
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=47299
Mickey Tye Dye Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=32848
Matching Family Shirts
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...6&postcount=14
Princess Amy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 AM   #8
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
True! However it is not nearly as good for some reason......they had curry, strawberry, chocolate, shrimp, bbq, caramel, cheddar cheese, buffalo.......they were amazing! The popcorn buckets were crazy cute too and people would bring them all in the park.....I saw many people with 3-4 buckets!
I think our choices were plain, cheese, or sriracha. We did cheese, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Of course, it was because of salty orange-colored dust.

I love all the snack options in the Japanese pavilion and the packaging is always eye catching. Ever see the exhibit there on cuteness in Japanese culture? They have truly elevated it to an art form.

Dirk

Old 06-19-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantsNiners11 View Post
Not answering because itís obvious.

I truly felt like a valued guest in Tokyo disney parks...not a wallet.
What an experience. It would be an interesting reflection to share with Disney after your next trip to WDW. "Gee, in Japan it was like this. In Orlando, it was like this. Whatcha gonna do about it?"

Dirk

Old 06-19-2019, 09:17 AM   #10
GiantsNiners11
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
What an experience. It would be an interesting reflection to share with Disney after your next trip to WDW. "Gee, in Japan it was like this. In Orlando, it was like this. Whatcha gonna do about it?"

Dirk
Yup. I think if every executive had to visit Disney in Japan for 2 weeks and take notes, they would realize how far they have fallen.

Donít get me wrong, I still enjoy the US parks and will visit, but Iím showing my respect to Oriental Land company who hit grand slam after grand slam with their two parks. They really have their staff well trained and their enthusiasm for all things Disney connects with their audience. It feels like a team or a family.

The audience clap along to Country Bear Jamboree and everything is well loved including those forgotten bears. Theater was packed too.

Me(34) DW(33) DD(5)