home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-18-2019, 11:03 PM   #1
Kerri jo
Two Bedroom

Default Should I be talked out of HHI purchase?

I'm seriously not in need of more points, but am currently at HHI and loving it! I know we will be back, and it seems silly for me to use our PVB or AUL points for future stays. Tell me why I shouldn't buy HHI, or why I should. Purchase would be via resale, since I don't need the benefits from direct, and have more than what I will need to stay where I want to stay when at WDW. I'm torn and need community input!
2019 ~ PVB, PVB, SSR, DLP, BCV, BCV, HHI, BWI, PVB, AUL; 2018 ~ PVB & King Kamehameha Club Level (yes, totally worth it!), BLT; BCV; PVB; BWV; PVB; BLT; PVB; 2017 ~ SOG, PVB, BLT, PVB, AUL; 2016 ~ DLP, SOG; 2015 ~ DLR, SOG; 2014 ~ DLR, SOG; 2013 ~ BCV, VWL, AKV, SSR; 2012 ~ DLR, SOG; 2011 ~ DLR, SOG; 2010 ~ BCV, BWV; 2009 ~ BCV, BWV, OKW; 2008 ~ Poly; 2007 ~ POP, CSR, VBO; 2006 ~ DLR; 2005 ~ BWV, SOG, VWL, DLR; 2004 ~ SOG; 2003 ~ GF, Poly, Cont; 2002 ~ OKW; 2001 ~ THV; 1990s ~ All Star Sports; 1980s ~ Fort Wilderness, Contemporary
Kerri jo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #2
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerri jo View Post
I'm seriously not in need of more points, but am currently at HHI and loving it! I know we will be back, and it seems silly for me to use our PVB or AUL points for future stays. Tell me why I shouldn't buy HHI, or why I should. Purchase would be via resale, since I don't need the benefits from direct, and have more than what I will need to stay where I want to stay when at WDW. I'm torn and need community input!
If you are comfortable with the price do it and don’t look back - the more points the better you will find that you can also book aulani and poly with those points (staying at aulani on VB points!)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:13 PM   #3
bubster
Grand Villa

Quote:
If you want HHI points to stay at HHI then I say go for it. Best reason ever.
Old 06-18-2019, 11:27 PM   #4
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

As long as you plan to use those points frequently at HHI, go for it!
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:31 PM   #5
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

If itís what you want, absolutely go ahead and purchase.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:42 PM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

If you think you will Enjoy traveling to HHI during summer months owning there IMO makes sense. It's not that you can't get a room on other resort points, but it's so nice to get what you want when you want it and book in the 11 month window.

I own at HHI and also love that resort. I was torn on selling my points because I do enjoy the resort so much - so, I understand how you feel. Some people don't like that the resort isn't right on the ocean, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 11:43 PM   #7
Sephorin
Grand Villa

Quote:
Tell me why I shouldn't buy HHI, or why I should. Purchase would be via resale, since I don't need the benefits from direct, and have more than what I will need to stay where I want to stay when at WDW. I'm torn and need community input!
Just a few questions...

1. Will your purchase be made entirely with cash?

2. Are you all set for retirement? Is everything on track?

3. Will your home be in great condition WITHOUT any major repairs in the next few years?

4. If you plan to pay any portion of your kids' college tuition, do you have enough saved for that?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions, then I say you should begin hunting for the perfect resale contract immediately!

If you answered "no" to any of these questions, then now may not be the right time.

Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision!
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 04:09 AM   #8
Crafty
Grand Villa

We love HHI DVC resort. We live in SC and so we can drive there in 2-3 hours.

We thought long and hard about buying HHI points and decided against it. The big advantage of owning there is to get weekdays during the summer. Owners tend to snap those up pretty quickly. Weekends during the summer are prohibitively expensive for us. Most weekend nights are still available for the summer. We managed to get a weekday room for one night next month. Probably a cancellation.

Most rooms at HHI are two bedrooms. Studios and 1 bedrooms can be difficult to book. If you want to get less than 2 bedrooms or go to HH in the summer, then you should buy there. We are happy with 2 bedrooms and we dislike the crowds that descend in the summer.

Most times of the year HHI can be booked at 7 months. We even like to go in December when the points required for a room are very low. We bought SSR points to be used at HH.

1. The SSR maintenance is lower.
2. The contract lasts longer.
3. We can easily rent if we canít vacation.
4. We can use the points at 11 months at WDW.
5. We can more easily sell the contract if we find we have too many points.
6. The risk of hurricanes and flooding at HHI is substantial. Resort damage, increased maintenance fees, and special assessments are a real risk.

Every person has different desires relating to vacations. There are valid reasons to buy at HHI, as I have mentioned above. Depending on your plans for HHI trips, it may right for you. For us, SSR was a better choice.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #9
grayandry
Grand Villa

If you love it there, can afford to purchase the points, and want to go in the summer, buy there. Thatís what we did. LOVE HHI!
grayandry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 07:46 AM   #10
Laxmom
Grand Villa

We've never regretted our HHI purchase but we only bought enough points to go every other year or so. We also have a Marriott on HHI for EOY.

We bought one contract resale and one contract direct. The reason...South Carolina requires the use of an attorney for any timeshare sale. That will up the cost per point if you buy resale and it can extend the timeframe for buying resale. Disney rolls that into the cost per point if you buy direct. So if you consider resale, add approx $600 to the price of the contract for attorney fees. Might be best to ask a broker what current rate is as our purchase was 10 years ago.

At the time of our purchase, the difference in cost per point made the difference between buying direct and buying resale a wash.

Just FYI....
Laxmom is offline   Reply With Quote