home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #1
Dana
Grand Villa

Default End of December Dining Advice

We will be at WDW 2nd half of Dec. and for the first time, we're thinking we'll do mostly quick service - no advanced scheduling of dining reservations (except for the Christmas Candlelight Processional Package). Is this a mistake or will everything work out fine? How was your experience during the crazy busy time? ADR date is almost upon me and I feel nervous not booking anything.
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 03:30 PM   #2
jflatto
Grand Villa

We will be there about the same time and we plan to schedule a variety of ADRs. We may cancel some/many of them as we get closer but we are figuring with Christmas, it may be difficult to get in without an ADR. There are 4 of us but DS/DD (both 17) may end up not going to some of the ADRs but want to schedule for 4 and then just 2 of us show up.

Trips:
October, 1992 - Yacht Club - Honeymoon; May/June 2008 - BWV - New DVC Member; May/June 2009 - AKV (Kidani) and BCV; May/June 2010 - VWL; July 2010 - VGC; Christmas 2010 - BLT; May/June, 2011 - Dream Cruise and BWV; July 2011 - Grand Villa at Kidani!; October 2011 - BLT for MNSSHP; June 2012 - BCV; December 2012 - BLT for Christmas; June 2013 - Kidani and BWV; December 2013 - VGF and BLT and then Universal, December 2014 - BWV; May/June 2015 - Universal Studios and AKV and SSR; December 2015 - Fantasy for Christmas; October 2016 - Universal and MNSSHP; May/June 2017 - Universal and BWV; October 2017 - 25th Anniversary - AKV and CCR; June 2018 - Adult only - BWV
jflatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 05:29 PM   #3
johnb
Studio

I'd book a few just to have them; cancel as your trip dates approach if you chose not to use them.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:18 PM   #4
choosymom
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
We will be at WDW 2nd half of Dec. and for the first time, we're thinking we'll do mostly quick service - no advanced scheduling of dining reservations (except for the Christmas Candlelight Processional Package). Is this a mistake or will everything work out fine? How was your experience during the crazy busy time? ADR date is almost upon me and I feel nervous not booking anything.
Maybe just book a favorite, not in a park. I think you will be fine. We always eat either early or late not from 11:30-1 and don't have issues at any QS.

choosymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 09:20 PM   #5
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Two words for you: Pop Tarts. Kidding . Mostly.

In all seriousness, I find I enjoy trips much more the fewer ADRs I have. One big dinner is enough. Canít say this will work for all families, but itís worth trying.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 11:10 PM   #6
MMC1
Grand Villa

I see the calendar is current to Dec 14. I usually like to plan schedule around extra magic hours . I like to make reservations for mid day usually at the park I will probably be entering early and will want & need an actual table with service to regroup with family. Even if it is just for a light snack. Be aware many of the sit down restaurants consider 3 o’clock time to change to the dinner menu . I don’t want to eat a more expensive meal at 3 plus they will have to make you wait until the restaurant is cleared and “ kitchen” area is changed from lunch to dinner prep. At least that was my most recent experience with the PLaza on Main Street.
Maybe you should make a few reservations. Especially since that early morn lines for Flight at AK and Galaxy at HS will seriously make you want to unwind within 4 hours.
During the last 2 weeks of December everything will take longer including security and entry and afternoon breaks back to resort with another return thru security . Make reservations and you can always cancel before midnight without penalty . Keep your options open because QS can get real slow during the holidays.
I usually try to have bananas or apples or oranges in room for late night return to room. Will you have groceries delivered?
If you are single or just 2 adults it would be easier to not make ADRs. Are we talking family or just reservations for 2. I can think of lots of other suggestions for eating at walk up sitting at the Bars for appetizers , etc.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 12:02 AM   #7
cali09
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dana View Post
We have been going for Christmas/NYE weeks almost every year since 2004. While things have certainly changed and it is very busy, I would echo the other posters and say to book ADR's at the 180 day mark so you keep the option of TS open.

Then for the first couple of days of your trip you can go all QS and then re-assess how well it is going and if you and your family want to keep going with QS only. If so, just make sure to cancel the TS you have booked so you don't get charged $10 per person. If you decide instead you want to go back to a combination of QS and TS you will have the restaurants you want already booked.

Oh, and no matter which way you decide, for QS locations that offer it, I also have two words:

MOBILE. ORDER.

"to educate a person in mind and not in morals is to educate a menace to society"
Theodore Roosevelt
cali09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

We have been to WDW over NYE and it is super busy! I agree with others recommendation of booking some ADRs now in case you change your mind and want sit down meals. Itís sort of nice having the reservation when itís SO crowded.

We typically plan 1 per day at the 180 day mark, then I drop 1 or 2 as my plans solidify. Better to book them now and cancel rather than change your mind and not be able to get any ADRs secured.

ME DH DS21 DD18
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:16 AM   #9
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

I also agree with the concept of going ahead and booking some and then just cancel what you dont want. Just remember to cancel more than 24 hours in advance to avoid the $10 penalty.

I'd just book a few favorites and then set up reminders about 3 or 4 days before your trip to make cancellations if you change your mind.

Table services are so expensive at WDW and that would be fine of the food was always good enough to merit the prices...but many of our recent experiences show that it just isn't. Plus a HUGE meal each day is a lot.... So, i can totally understand the concept of utilizing quick service more. We've had some great quick service meals lately ( Pecos Bill, Backlot Express, Woodys Lunch Box, Flame Tree BBQ. And while we have not been to Satulli in AK, I hear great things about it)

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE @ WDWhttp://www.mouseowners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS21 DD15

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Christmas-NYE week is super nuts. My advice is to book a few ADRS now, while you have the chance. As December gets closer, cancel the ones you know you are not going to use. Adding an ADR during Christmas week is near impossible at more restaurants.