home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 10:05 AM   #1
stitchkidd
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default How is the waitlist actually fulfilled?

I ask this, because twice now I have been able to book a room that I had waitlisted after seeing it available online. My waitlist never came thru....(I canceled the waitlist after booking it online myself).

So - that tells me the waitlist means diddly-squat if someone can book that room while someone else has it waitlisted.

How are the waitlist requests filled? Does a CM actually check for availability and then see if there are any matches? Obviously the website is not set up to keep inventory from showing up if there is a waitlist request in place.

Very disappointed in this - kind of undermines my faith in the process- and I have had glorious waitlist requests come thru in the past...
stitchkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 10:26 AM   #2
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

From what I remember other Mouseowners saying throughout the years, the CMs actually check daily to find matches. I don't know how this is accomplished, but it didn't seem like a computerized-automatically-matched process.
You'd think that once a reservation opens up, the RAT would quickly search all waitlists and give it to the one waiting the longest. There must be a reason why it doesn't work that way.

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 12:18 PM   #3
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

The system runs thru to match the waitlists. From checking after cancelling it does appear to be running fairly continuously as my cancellations always have nights gone or may even end up completely gone within seconds after cancelling and I've done these at all times of the day and night.

Once the system matches it holds the room. You see no indication on your waitlist if you have a match or not and the only way you would know is if you called in so there's a possibility that it actually had matched and there was another room available. I've had that happen to me. But it does seem like it either misses some matches or else has something that may slow down a match. I've actually gotten many waitlists filled so it does work too.

Once the system has matched then it sits until a CM finalizes. It's during that period that you'd have to call to see if you've had a match or not. There was a time that your waitlist would disappear once the system matched to it so I waited to see how long it would take to finalize. After 2 1/2-3 weeks I finally called in to have it done. Other matches I've had a CM finalize in just an hour or two. That part is extremely random.
Old 06-14-2019, 02:12 PM   #4
PrincipalTinker
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The system runs thru to match the waitlists. From checking after cancelling it does appear to be running fairly continuously as my cancellations always have nights gone or may even end up completely gone within seconds after cancelling and I've done these at all times of the day and night.

Once the system matches it holds the room. You see no indication on your waitlist if you have a match or not and the only way you would know is if you called in so there's a possibility that it actually had matched and there was another room available. I've had that happen to me. But it does seem like it either misses some matches or else has something that may slow down a match. I've actually gotten many waitlists filled so it does work too.

Once the system has matched then it sits until a CM finalizes. It's during that period that you'd have to call to see if you've had a match or not. There was a time that your waitlist would disappear once the system matched to it so I waited to see how long it would take to finalize. After 2 1/2-3 weeks I finally called in to have it done. Other matches I've had a CM finalize in just an hour or two. That part is extremely random.
I don’t believe the system has been reliably working like this. I learned in January that Copper Creek waitlists we’re not being filled but owners were filling their own requests every day.
PrincipalTinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:29 PM   #5
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
From what I remember other Mouseowners saying throughout the years, the CMs actually check daily to find matches. I don't know how this is accomplished, but it didn't seem like a computerized-automatically-matched process.
You'd think that once a reservation opens up, the RAT would quickly search all waitlists and give it to the one waiting the longest. There must be a reason why it doesn't work that way.
There is a reason: it just isn't that simple.

A few years ago I concocted a scenario, which you can find here, to illustrate how convoluted the filling of waitlists could become. I don't think this scenario is at all unrealistic, in fact where BCV is concerned there may be dozens of waitlists involved. If you think you can write a program to deal with all such cases, go right ahead!

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
There is a reason: it just isn't that simple.

A few years ago I concocted a scenario, which you can find here, to illustrate how convoluted the filling of waitlists could become. I don't think this scenario is at all unrealistic, in fact where BCV is concerned there may be dozens of waitlists involved. If you think you can write a program to deal with all such cases, go right ahead!
No way! Then you'd all blame me personally instead of the mysterious "Disney IT"...

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 03:47 PM   #7
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

First there is a monkey. The monkey has a bottle of jack daniels. And a dart board. No wait, that's how ROFR works. Never mind.

In the history of online DVC-talk, I've never seen anyone who knew for sure how the process works exactly. But from experience, we know it works pretty good, just not perfectly.

Now if some of you people would just drop your mid-November reservations so I could see my wait list in action I'd appreciate it and report back.

Now I'm off to find a bottle of jack daniels. And a monkey.
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:01 PM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I've never cared in the past because I've had 100% success. But things are tightening up these days. It's getting competitive.

I know its a tough one but I've had 5 nights for a BW View room wait listed for 7/3-7/7 for quite a few months now. Doesn't look good.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:04 PM   #9
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I would imagine that even if it is automated, the process doesn't run until MS is closed. So you probably could pick something off during the day that is on a waitlist.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2019, 04:45 PM   #10
salmoneous
Add-on Aficionado

Anyone know if there is any truth to the rumor that checking the status of your waitlist decreases your chances of it coming through?
salmoneous is offline   Reply With Quote