home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Tours and Events
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #1
swilly99
Studio

Default Disney World Special Events and Tours

I am starting to plan a 2020 trip to the World and was wondering what special events or tours that you have taken and what you thought of them. I am thinking of things like Epcot Seas Adventure, Caring for Giants, Behind the Seeds, the Backstage Magic tour, etc...

Thank you for your thoughts!
swilly99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2
cvjw
Grand Villa

We have done lots of “extras” at Disney, and our favorite is the wild Africa trek. It was amazing!
cvjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:35 PM   #3
Jcsquirrel
Two Bedroom

Default extras

We would strongly recommend
Fishing guide or Tournament We do every trip just a great time
Living Seas diving or snorkeling again a bit pricey
Painting with a View
Animation Class
DVC Soarrin behind the scenes That one is free

Late night events but price
The member nights are nice but crazy crowded

Not so much

Pirates and Pals, maybe our group was to old
Jcsquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:48 PM   #4
MarkB
Studio

Behind the Seeds Tour in the Land at Epcot was a nice behind the scene tour of the green houses

The Keys to the Kingdom was also good. Best part was the tour of the Utilidoors.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 06:31 PM   #5
Pjferry
Two Bedroom

Heading to the world in December. Has anyone done the Holiday D-light tour. I see it is kind of pricey. I am wondering if it is any good?
Old 06-11-2019, 10:06 PM   #6
JaneBanks
One Bedroom

We did Caring for Giants last summer and thoroughly enjoyed it. It was just my party of six in the tour group.
We thought the pricing was really good, which means they have probably raised it.
I put a video on youtube which shows how close you are to the beautiful elephants. We had the most amazing guide also.
Not saying I am good at editing or anything, but here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4ts5tCbqYA

Also Painting with a View is fun, and I did one of the Mixology classes at Top of the World Lounge that I enjoyed. I thought the prices for those were reasonable as well.

Last edited by JaneBanks; 06-11-2019 at 10:17 PM.
JaneBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 12:29 AM   #7
Jawfish
One Bedroom

Not sure what ages you have in your party, but we did the “monorail crawl” a couple years ago and it was so much fun!

Officially known as “Highway in the Sky Dine Around the World”

https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/di...y-dine-around/

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)

2019 PVB (Sep)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:56 AM   #8
Stitch_Fan
Studio

Keys to the Kingdom is always a great tour but it does take up a big chunk of your day. We've also done and enjoyed Behind the seeds, Savor the Savanna, World Showcase: Destinations Discovered, The Star Wars Tour and the Wild Africa Trek. We've loved every tour we've taken has been and plan to retake some.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:32 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by swilly99 View Post
I am starting to plan a 2020 trip to the World and was wondering what special events or tours that you have taken and what you thought of them. I am thinking of things like Epcot Seas Adventure, Caring for Giants, Behind the Seeds, the Backstage Magic tour, etc...

Thank you for your thoughts!
Behind the Seeds is easy to do any time and only needs a couple of days advanced planning. It's cheap, and it's one hour. Easy to fit in.

We enjoyed Caring for Giants. I would probably only do it every few years, but it's well done. I really love elephants and have spent a lot of time in elephant preserves in South Africa and still learned some stuff. It's also cheap and one hour, so another great enhancement to a day. They do sell out. Book it as soon as you know you want it. You can always cancel.

There is a similar Rhinoceros encounter, which is only offered one day a week, so it does sell out weeks in advance.

Wild Africa Trek is also great. The most expensive ones are the early morning ones - but it is super nice to be in the area before the safari trucks start running. Also less chance of rain in the summer.

Afternoons are hot and threat of rain, so they're cheaper.

You can tell I love AK tours! I do regret they ended both the backstage tour and the AK Wild by Design tour. Each was 3 hours, and they were truly great tours.

As for the other half-day and full-day tours, they are all generally very well done. Just depends on your comfort level with the price, time commitment, and what your interests are.

I would avoid the train tour if it's offered when the trains aren't running, like now. I think it's more interesting to actually see how they get trains ready to roll.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
WiltonJohn
Two Bedroom

Wild By Design was one of the best tours we ever did!

Can recommend Caring for Giants, Behind the Seeds, Savor the Savannah, the night-time safari out of AKL Kidani.

best,

............john