home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Wining & Dining
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-27-2019, 02:37 PM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Skipper Canteen Thoughts

I may not really get a Trip Report out this time due to my schedule, so I'm going to post my frustration with Skipper Canteen here.

This is a place I really want to love. The theming is great. We've had great servers and great service. But the food just isn't working for me - and it's really bumming me out because I have tasted great food there, just on other people's plates (same table, I'm not gross).

Our first visit - I loved the Cachapas, but it was followed by a very mundanely seasoned pastitsio that was so dry bricks would have been chewier. Other folks at the table raved about the Hot and Sour soup and several enjoyed their entrees.

We went back this time. Katie loathes the place but went out of her love for Leslie. Leslie still loves the place even though she was extremely distressed the they removed her beloved hot and sour soup. Fortunately, the pastitsio is totally gone. It had no redeemable value.

Jim and I really wanted to give it another try (he loved his last meal, and our friend Leslie always loved her Can't Believe It's Chicken chicken).

So we go. Falafel appie is great. Jim loved his Lost and Found soup, whatever it was.

Leslie, Katie, and I all order the chicken - assured by the server it's beloved and their most popular dish. Jim orders the steak.

Chicken was barely sauced and was actually dryer and harder than my "dryer than a brick" pastitisio from last time. Hardly any flavor beyond "dry chicken tender" due to the 1/8 tsp drizzle of sauce. Katie wouldn't even touch it. I ate half of mine. Leslie claimed hers was fantastic, but I think she didn't want to disappoint the server because it just couldn't have been good.

Jim's steak, on the other hand, OMG! Perfectly seasoned, Perfectly cooked for medium-rare. Juicy, tasty, and how I wish I had ordered it - or sent my dish back for it.

Desserts were fine but apparently not as memorable as I thought they would be as I remember having the Kungaloosh but can't really describe it.

Two nights later we dine at The Edison (which was fine - not great but fine, and we'd go back) and our server said he splits his time with Skipper Canteen. I asked him why they took off the soup we all loved and why the chicken was so awful. He was genuinely shocked and said the chicken had the highest reviews (that's scary). After we did rave about the great steak, he said they took it off the menu and replaced it with one covered in a jalapeŮo queso - something Jim would never eat.

It seems menu rotation is their think at Skipper Canteen. Either they aren't finding dishes that work (except over-dry chicken tenders dressed up as an adult entree) or they want to keep things interesting.

But the chicken is still there . . .

Sigh - I may have to seriously admit this just isn't going to be a relationship that will work out. I guess I expect something closer to Tiffins in terms of flavor, but it just isn't happening.

Anybody have any hope to offer?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 02:59 PM   #2
DVCjj
Grand Villa

I'm sorry I have no hope for you. Just a confirmation that we....me and (grown) DD have had the same experience.

Absolutely loved so many times when we always ordered Arepas and hot & sour soup as our meal. We even loved the bread with honey most everyone didn't love. Throw in shared ShuMai and it was the perfect meal for us. Literally went 7 times and looked forward to it each trip. First ADR made.

Then they started to get creative with the menu and it all changed. No soup. Arepas changed to Cacapas, no bread, didn't like Shu Mai. The End of a Good Thing.

I wanted to go back 2 weeks ago and try again. She said No and was probably the right decision.

Darn. I'm sorry for you also.
DVCjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:07 PM   #3
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Wait, your chicken was in tender form? Granted due to allergies I cannot have the regular sauce but mine has always been amazing. It was always a breast and I think wing though. Not dry at all.... Only time we had tenders was when we had a kids meal ages ago.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:38 PM   #4
johnb
Studio

We've had the opposite experience. Two really good dinners. Between myself and family members, we've covered a lot of the entrees, never a complaint (but we haven't had the chicken). Pork, steak, lamb chops, seafood stew, sustainable fish. All good.

he shu mai app doesn't compare to the shu mai I get at a local Chinese restaurant, but they're decent enough.

Service has been good to great.
Old 05-27-2019, 03:45 PM   #5
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Only been once, in March and I got the pork. It was a great taste but parts of the meat, itself, were inedible. The sangria and wine there were really good as were some dumpling type app (that was to die for). We enjoyed the kungaloosh. My DDs weren't fans of the place (they also don't like Sanaa or Spice Road). But DH and I liked it a lot. Just wish they'd use a better cut of pork and I am guessing they need to do the same with the chicken (probably thigh meat like on Ohana skewers).

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
2019-2020 DVC trip(s): Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Oct 31-Nov 3 HHI / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / Jan 18-22 HHI GV
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #6
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

First meal there was amazing and everyone liked what they got. Went back in April and only 1 of the 4 dishes were any good. Love that atmosphere and want to love the food.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:13 PM   #7
AZDVC
Grand Villa

Our one meal there was not good. Going to give it one more try in November. Iíll hope Jimís steak is back on the menu! Concept and theming are great!
AZDVC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:29 AM   #8
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We still have not tried this restaurant. We want to but we see reports like this and it gives us pause.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:53 AM   #9
goofy kc
Two Bedroom

When we go it is assumed that is a break from the park - a semi-adult space to cool off, rest your feet and chat. Apps, a beer or wine, dessert. That's it. The entrees are junk.

Perhaps the Club 33 kitchen will influence the menu?
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
jmark
Two Bedroom

I find that just about all of WDW's restaurants are wildly inconsistent. Even places like Ohana where they have the same menu that they cook ev-ery day. Thats a reason why we don't go to some signature restaurants since we don't know what were going to get and at that price point I don't want to be disappointed (Tiffins is the only WDW restaurant that I can't remember ever being disappointed at).

Skippers has been a bit inconsistent although its been a hit more often then not. We like it especially compared to other MK restaurants. I just wish they would stop tinkering around with the menu.
jmark is offline   Reply With Quote