home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Transportation
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-20-2019, 07:03 AM   #1
Joeli
Two Bedroom

Default Gondola...safety?

DW spotted this while we were in WDW this weekend and I thought some people might want to know...others not so much.

https://mydisneydorks.com/2019/05/18...rld-expansion/

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Aug 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:27 AM   #2
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
DW spotted this while we were in WDW this weekend and I thought some people might want to know...others not so much.

https://mydisneydorks.com/2019/05/18...rld-expansion/
Too bad they have to go public to get the resources they need. Now, not normally someone who picks a side on a soundbite, but if the fire department is so concerned that they make these kind of interviews, then I tend to believe them. Do they need more than double the current staff? No idea.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 07:52 AM   #3
Nickys
Grand Villa

It would only be a total power failure that would cause people to be stranded.

A normal power outage would simply result in back-up generators to kick in and the lines would keep moving.

And in the event of such a catastrophic failure, Iím sure Disney could get extra manpower in. Thereís also nothing to say this isnít already in hand anyway. For all we know, this could be mid-negotiation and one side getting frustrated and blabbing to the media.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #4
Quellman
Grand Villa

I was talking with a hard hat manager of the area. There is backup power for the gondolas, so it would be a failure of the redundancy in which it would cause a whole line issue. And remember, there are 3 different lines.
2002 DLHotel, 2010 SSR, 2011 SSR, 2012 DCL Magic, DLParis, BLT, 2013 VB, 2014 DCl Fantasy, BLT 2015 POP, BLT 2016 DCL Dream B2B, BLT 2017 PVB, DCL Fantasy(B2B), YC, BLT 2018 DCL Dream, POFQ, BLT
Quellman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:56 AM   #5
Njmedic2819
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

This should be a no brainer, they should hire more staff. However, as a public servant and professional first responder, from my own experience, hiring of more ff/medics is usually a reactive situation and not a proactive situation. The Reedy Creek Improvement District is private. Unfortunately, if the new hires are not in the budget, they will never come to fruition unless something catastrophic happens to sway the powers that be. This is a sad situation for all of us, as we are the Reedy Creek FD's clientele and our safety is at risk when we are in the parks.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:59 AM   #6
Njmedic2819
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

This is not just about the gondolas. If they are stretched to the max, response times will be longer. This effects the outcomes of medical emergencies, rescue operations and fire suppression.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:20 AM   #7
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Njmedic2819 View Post
This is not just about the gondolas. If they are stretched to the max, response times will be longer. This effects the outcomes of medical emergencies, rescue operations and fire suppression.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:45 AM   #8
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Sounds like a union rep doing what union reps do...

Mass Transit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:48 AM   #9
carolina_yankee
Administrator

I doubt the gondolas themselves are the cause of any concern. I suspect RCFD is using this opportunity to maximize publicity their perception of their need for more firefighters overall.

I think it's a valid point that the staffing of the department hasn't changes as the parks and resorts have expanded over the years. It's also appropriate timing as the gondolas have required the purchase of dedicated rescue equipment and specialized training illustrating a newer and more complex role for the RCFD department to play.

I find it interesting that they take pains to not blame Disney for RCID for their situation, as if the two were separate entities! They are being very politically savvy.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 12:44 PM   #10
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
It would only be a total power failure that would cause people to be stranded.
I don't disagree on the argument that this may be a negotiating tactic as much as anything. This is a union rep - they know how to spin the media!

That said, I've seen this comment about power being the only point of failure a number of times, and it makes no sense to me. Pulleys could fail...lines could become jammed...a tower could be hit by a bus and become structurally compromised...the list goes on and on.

I'm not an alarmist by any extreme, but the notion that power is the only reason there could be a long-term stalling of the system assumes perfect function of the structural system on a permanent basis. Is a full shut-down likely? Probably not. But, my guess is that, someday, it will happen. And, if it happens, I'd suggest it is more likely that it would happen for some structural, non-power-related, reason!