home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 11:36 PM   #1
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Default Columbia freezer coil sun shirts do they work?

I have two skin colors- white and red. The only ďtanĒ Iíll ever have is from freckles melding. Headed to wdw in a couple days and the weather looks a bit warm! I got these Columbia freezer coil sun shirts at Costco and the claim is they cool you off. Iím a little suspect but anything is worth a try. Coming from a cooler dryer climate I donít have a chance to try them out. Anyone used these and any success? Theyíre a super thin material but still long sleeves.
littlelulu01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:05 PM   #2
Micah008
Grand Villa

I have a few of the Columbia shirts with the "omni-freeze" which I think is the same thing. I can't honestly say they make a huge difference, but I do think they help. In the end it really just helps a little when you sweat to make it evaporate more quickly (cooling which is why you sweat in the first place). Plus, they are nice shirts, so I like them either way.

MousePerks
MOD 137 - Owner at Animal Kingdom Villas, Riviera Resort, and Saratoga Springs Resort

Apr '87 offsite; Feb '91 offsite; Feb '04 offsite; Feb '10 Pop; Jan '12 ASSp; Jan '13 Pop; Jan '14 VGF/AKV (Report); Mar '14 POR; Aug '14 SSR (Report); Jan '15 VGF/AKV/OKW (Report); Jan '16 BLT/BCV (Report); Aug '16 AKV; Jan '17 PVB/BWV; Jan '18 Pop/BRV; Aug '18 AKV; Jan '19 PVB/BCV; Jan '20 VGF/AKV/DRR
Micah008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
MMC1
Grand Villa

I have been wearing ExOfficio brand (women’s underwear) specifically for trips to WDW. It helps but Not enough! I will plan to take a bandana to wet down and wrap around the back of my neck and drink lots of water.
I have discovered a cooling refreshing drink from Starbucks called Peach Citrus white tea infused lemonade. Only 70 calories and no fat no cholesterol 10 mpg sodium. Do not get added sugar option. For some reason cold fresh fruit drinks lower body temp.
This is from somebody that normally hates fake fruity taste and really dislikes tea. So it is worth a try. Some SBX have pineapple black tea infused lemonade.
And strawberry green tea. They are also kind enough to provide extra ice and water.
Thank you Starbucks!
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 09:59 PM   #4
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Thanks for the tips and reviews. I packed a couple of the Columbia shirts. Theyíre only $17 at Costco and so thin they take up no luggage space. Figure itís worth a try. Adjusting from cool dry climate to hot humid isnít fun the first couple days. Too late to look into the underwear but will for next trip. Will definitely get the Starbucks tea. January trip we had the qs dining plan. I was drinking vente fraps and fried foods and gained several pounds despite walking 10 miles + per day. Definitely not doing the dp this time or the high sugar drinks!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:42 AM   #5
FessParker1
Grand Villa

DW got me one of the cooling towels they sell in the parks. I was actually surprised that it worked pretty well. Just wet it and put it over the back of your neck.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 AM   #6
Joeli
Two Bedroom

DW bought cooling towels at Walmart. Bought the mid priced ones, and all 4 of us used them. They worked fantastic! We have them in our owners locker now. Had we not had them on a few trips we would have been miserable. Bear in mind you should wash them at some point due to the sweat being absorbed as well...you donít want to be the ďfunky personĒ on the line, for that reason! Lol

Upcoming:
Sept 2020 - DCL Fantasy
May 2020 - PVB
Apr 2020 - PVB
Mar 2020 - PVB
Feb 2020 - BWV
Dec/Jan 2020 - PVB/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May, Jun, Jul, Aug) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan, BWV, Swan, BWV
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:56 PM   #7
littlelulu01
One Bedroom

Well we just returned. Canít say the shirts worked miracles but they may have been a slight help. It was so hot 🥵. Avoided a burn until the last day when I failed to put one on before swimming.

Purchased some sunscreen at akv. It was a jelly type substance that was a little gloopy and had a funny way of sliding off the hands and plopping onto the towel which then creates a nice yellow stain. Was not a fan of it. I think it was banana boat.
Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM   #8
MMC1
Grand Villa

Thanks for reporting back.
And I have been looking for sunscreen lotion advice....
I recently saw those cooling towels for sale on the Disney carts. Time for 100 degree weather.
That darn sun moved yesterday and our perfect seat for. The Guess Who Concert turned into really hot but there was nice breeze .
And The Guess Who were fantastic great! Have really enjoyed all the Concerts this season. Thanks Disney
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 10:31 AM   #9
Adelard of Bath
Two Bedroom

My experience with shirts is that I only bring golf shirts now, instead of cotton t-shirts. The golf shirts dry fast, which means they don't get sticky and wet and clammy like a cotton shirt does.
Adelard of Bath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2019, 11:21 AM   #10
reblzmom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelard of Bath View Post
My experience with shirts is that I only bring golf shirts now, instead of cotton t-shirts. The golf shirts dry fast, which means they don't get sticky and wet and clammy like a cotton shirt does.
Agree. Performance fabric golf polos for the hubs and golf skorts for me.