home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-14-2019, 09:27 PM   #1
snowrob
Studio

Default Use Year question

I have a quick question on use year. I have a December use year and am looking at an end of November/December trip for next year. My questions are:

1. Can I make one continuous reservation crossing from November to December.

2. I assume that my 2019 use year points can be book for the night of the 30th even though that includes December 1st of 2020, but I wanted to confirm.

Thank you all for any help.

snowrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM   #2
Chanin
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

I am horrible at explaining Use Years, but December is when you receive your next allotment of points. It does not prevent you from making reservations crossing from November to December. Remember you can borrow, use current year or use banked points...For you, you will get points in December 2019 and your current year is through November, 2020. If you plan on going in November, checking out in December I believe the points would be effective of your check in date. Let's say you have 200 points, and you are checking in at end of November and your stay is 250 points. You would use your first 200 points and then borrow 50 points from your next year. If you knew you were checking in the first week in December, you would bank those points and then use them first.
Chanin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:51 PM   #3
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowrob View Post
I have a quick question on use year. I have a December use year and am looking at an end of November/December trip for next year. My questions are:

2. I assume that my 2019 use year points can be book for the night of the 30th even though that includes December 1st of 2020, but I wanted to confirm.

If you have the proper number of 2019 points to cover the 2019 days and enough 2020 points to cover the 2020 days; than there should be no problem with making one continues reservation.

You will be in danger of losing 2019 points if you have to cancel or modify your trip after your banking window.

You may have to calculate out what the correct number of points you would bank in 2019 assuming you don't plan to use every last one by the time of this trip.

You might want to do it over the phone so that MS can properly set you up
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #4
snowrob
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandat View Post
If you have the proper number of 2019 points to cover the 2019 days and enough 2020 points to cover the 2020 days; than there should be no problem with making one continues reservation.

You will be in danger of losing 2019 points if you have to cancel or modify your trip after your banking window.

You may have to calculate out what the correct number of points you would bank in 2019 assuming you don't plan to use every last one by the time of this trip.
Yea it should work out perfectly - I just wasn't sure how the booking across use year worked, as I have never attempted to to that yet.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:59 PM   #5
dandandat
Studio

Quote:
Yea it should work out perfectly - I just wasn't sure how the booking across use year worked, as I have never attempted to to that yet.
I've never done it my self either. Mouse Services should definitely be able to make the reservations because their is nothing wrong with what you are trying to do.

Does the online system have some kind of stupid quirk that won't let you do it; I cant say.
dandandat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 10:02 PM   #6
snowrob
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandandat View Post
I've never done it my self either. Mouse Services should definitely be able to make the reservations because their is nothing wrong with what you are trying to do.

Does the online system have some kind of stupid quirk that won't let you do it; I cant say.
I'll find out next year - I assume it will be pretty straight forward, but we'll see.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:18 PM   #7
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
You won't be able to book across the UY online. You can book the first night and then call and MS can finish the booking. There's been reports that after one of the more recent updates even MS can't make a single reservation that crosses UY's but I haven't personally confirmed it. I actually have 2 reservations crossing UY's that I need to see if MS can combine but for the moment I don't know if they'll be able to.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:30 PM   #8
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:

I have never done this, so I am just saying how I would approach it.

I would make two separate reservations and call MS to have them link them. The November part of the trip could use points residing in the 2019 UY. The December part would use points residing in the 2020 UY. I believe that the night of Nov 30, 2020 would use 2019 points.

Now if you are trying to walk, I donít think that you can walk across use years.

As someone else has said, those points used in Nov 2020 and in the 2019 UY, would be lost if you cancel.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 11:39 PM   #9
Crafty
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
You won't be able to book across the UY online. You can book the first night and then call and MS can finish the booking. There's been reports that after one of the more recent updates even MS can't make a single reservation that crosses UY's but I haven't personally confirmed it. I actually have 2 reservations crossing UY's that I need to see if MS can combine but for the moment I don't know if they'll be able to.
If they can no longer link reservations across use years, then the OP can have MS make a note in the files for the room assigners. I assume that the OP does not want to move rooms in the middle of his trip. I would also call to make the request about two weeks? before traveling. That call would be to the resort, itself.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 06:58 AM   #10
FessParker1
Grand Villa

I might worry about making FP's if it's 2 separate reservations you might get 2 booking windows
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote