home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 05-06-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
DougS
One Bedroom

Default Banking Points

Hey all, I have what I believe is a "Banking Points 101" question. After reading the primers, I think I'm doing it right, but since it crosses over a "Use year" question I also had, I wanted to throw it out here first. I know I can't undo a banking, so I want to make sure before I push the button.

We have two contracts, both April use year. We intentionally staggered them so that we can use the points on alternating years. We bought enough points to have a 2BR and it should work like this:
- CCV (2018 contract): 200 points from 2018 + 200 from 2019 = 2 BR stay in 2019 for 372 points
- RR (2019 contract): 260 points from 2019 + 260 from 2020 = 2 BR stay in 2020, currently looking like 520 points
Then back to CCV points for 2021, RR for 2022, etc.

That means each year I should be rolling the remaining points from that year's stay (the 2BR stay in 2019 was 372 points, so I have 28 left), plus all of the points from "the other Home" (which for this year is RR, 260 points). This is what I see now:

I believe I want to roll all 288 of those points, to use for my 2020 stay, but this is where I'm confused:
Both contracts have April use years, but is that April 1st or 31st? We'll be staying mid/late April every year, which I THINK means that I want to roll all 288 points, book my next trip in ~ 2 wks for my 11 month window, then my next 460 points (260 + 200) hit my account next April 1, THEN when we check in (4/16/2020) those 520 (current guess @ a 2BR in RR) points will be subtracted from my balance of 748 points, using the banked 288 first. Some time before November of 2020 I bank the remaining 228 points left in my account, for use on the 2021 trip.

Is there anything wrong with my thought process?
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
JaxFLBear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Both contracts have April use years, but is that April 1st or 31st?
Use Years start on the 1st day of the month. So, an April UY would run from April 1st through March 31th of the next year.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

You can bank those April 2019 points to April 2020, but they won't be available in April 21. If it turns out one of the nights you have your 2020 Riviera stay set for has availability in the 7 month mark, you could potentially reallocate the banked CCV points to that reservation and then you might have more Riviera points left to piece together a rental or add on days later.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Hey all, I have what I believe is a "Banking Points 101" question. After reading the primers, I think I'm doing it right, but since it crosses over a "Use year" question I also had, I wanted to throw it out here first. I know I can't undo a banking, so I want to make sure before I push the button.

We have two contracts, both April use year. We intentionally staggered them so that we can use the points on alternating years. We bought enough points to have a 2BR and it should work like this:
- CCV (2018 contract): 200 points from 2018 + 200 from 2019 = 2 BR stay in 2019 for 372 points
- RR (2019 contract): 260 points from 2019 + 260 from 2020 = 2 BR stay in 2020, currently looking like 520 points
Then back to CCV points for 2021, RR for 2022, etc.

That means each year I should be rolling the remaining points from that year's stay (the 2BR stay in 2019 was 372 points, so I have 28 left), plus all of the points from "the other Home" (which for this year is RR, 260 points). This is what I see now:
….

I believe I want to roll all 288 of those points, to use for my 2020 stay, but this is where I'm confused:
Both contracts have April use years, but is that April 1st or 31st? We'll be staying mid/late April every year, which I THINK means that I want to roll all 288 points, book my next trip in ~ 2 wks for my 11 month window, then my next 460 points (260 + 200) hit my account next April 1, THEN when we check in (4/16/2020) those 520 (current guess @ a 2BR in RR) points will be subtracted from my balance of 748 points, using the banked 288 first. Some time before November of 2020 I bank the remaining 228 points left in my account, for use on the 2021 trip.

Is there anything wrong with my thought process?
As mentioned the UY's all start on the first of the month they reference.

FWIW the points are deducted at the time you make your reservation, not when you check in. You need to have them banked prior to booking if you want to use the banked points in your reservation next April. They will get returned to your account if you cancel and how they are returned is dependent on when you cancel (ie, 31 days and more in advance or 30 days or less they go into holding) and if they were banked, current or borrowed they keep that same status.

If you bank you will have 28 points for an 11 month booking at CCV and 200 points for an 11 month booking at RR. If you want to use the 28 CCV points at RR you will have to wait until 7 months to try and book with those specifically and add onto the 11 month booking you do with your RR points.
Old 05-06-2019, 12:45 PM   #5
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Points always become available to you on the 1st day of your UY Month. Since you have an April UY you just started your 2019 UY.

My personal feeling on banking points is I don't bank them until I'm absolutely sure that I'm going to need them to book a trip in my next UY. If you bank all your points and decided to take a last minute or unscheduled trip, you won't be able to pull those banked points back in to your current UY. You could still book the trip, but now you would have to borrow from your next UY and I always try to avoid borrowing because borrowed points have to be used by the end of your UY and they are more limiting than using current UY points. With current UY points you can potentially cancel a reservation and still bank points forward -- I hope that makes sense.

If I were you and in your situation, here is how I would handle this. I would focus on your next vacation, which it sounds like is at the Riviera resort in a 2 bdrm with an April 16, 2020 check-in date. You don't say how long you plan to stay, but if it is for 1 week (April 16 - 23 2020) in a standard view room that would use 475 points.

If this were me.... I would only bank 215 of the 2019 Rivera points forward to 2020. 215 banked 2019 points + 260 current UY 2020 points = 475 points.

I'd book this room in this fashion and for now not bank the rest of my 45 Riviera 2019 points to give me flexibility if I decide I want to take another trip in my current UY. This strategy also gives me flexibility to do what I choose with those points for the rest of 2019 (i.e. book a trip, or rent them/transfer them to another member). In November 2019, if I didn't end up using those points, then I would bank the remainder of those points. Once I banked those points, then I would call DVC MS and have the banked points reallocated to my upcoming Riviera vacation.

This is a bit more complicated, and some may disagree, but I see this as a way to give me flexibility, because when I was new to DVC I didn't realize that once I banked points into the next UY you could no longer use those points until your next UY starts. For this reason, I only bank forward what I need and reallocate later if I need to change things up.

As for your CCV points I'm not sure when your planning a trip with those points, but I guess you can see how I would go about this given my example above.

Hope all that makes sense to you.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 05-06-2019 at 04:19 PM. Reason: clarification
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 08:49 AM   #6
DougS
One Bedroom

Ok, I think there were a couple of lightbulb moments there, and a couple of "rut roh Raggy" moments. I'm super appreciative right now though, because I think everyone helped keep me from making a mistake!

Lightbulb moment: Points are taken as soon as I book.

That means since I'm booking in ~ 10 days for our 2020 points, no need to bank. If I banked those points, I wouldn't be ABLE to book in 10 days, b/c I wouldn't have them available. It also means I'd likely never bank. I hope it also means that I'll never have "leftover points" because I'm always using the older ones first?

Lightbulb moment: I don't have to wait for my 11 month window to hit before calculating the point total needed.
I "know" in my head that the point charts exist, but I never went back and added them up for my dates, I've been waiting for the window to tell me.

Lightbulb moment: I won't have the 2020 points needed for the 2020 stay, until WAAAAY after I have to book it.
My concern about banking points was backwards, I need to figure out how to borrow forward. I know that once banked points are untouchable, but is it possible to borrow forward more than one time in a year?
Example: I calculate the 2020 trip to be 520 points. I have 288 now, so I borrow 232 from the RR contract (260 points) to book in 10 days. THEN sometime later in the year we decide to take a quick trip, and I want to use the remaining 28 points from the RR contract. Can I reach out to “borrow forward” again this year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
FWIW the points are deducted at the time you make your reservation, not when you check in. You need to have them banked prior to booking if you want to use the banked points in your reservation next April.
Doesn’t this mean that I NEVER bank those points b/c once I bank them I can’t use them to book in 10 days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post
If this were me.... I would only bank 215 of the 2019 Rivera points forward to 2020. 215 banked 2019 points + 260 current UY 2020 points = 475 points.
If I’m making the rez in 10 days, don’t I need to pull BACK enough UY 2020 points to get to 475, in your example?

I think both of those confusion points are related to the same thing: How can I use points that I bank to make a rez?

Again, apologies if something just isn't sinking in for me, and I REALLY appreciate everyone's help in preventing me from making a huge mistake!
1989 - Caribbean
2015 - Grand Floridian
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

Old 05-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #7
pdude81
Grand Villa

For your 5/2020 Riviera stay, feel free to bank all of your points now since you know that you'll use more than this year's allotment. You would want to use up all those banked points first before using your regular 2020 points to finish off the rest. At that point you can start thinking about how many extra you might have and what to do with them. After that you'll have the same issue you have now with those extra few CCV points. Certainly a first world problem not wanting to burn perfectly good points, but having extra can easily lead to more vacations.... which then require more points... and on and on.

The short version of this is. Bank all your April UY Riviera points if you're going to book for April/May 2020 requiring more than 1 year worth of points. Then book away
Old 05-07-2019, 09:39 AM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Ok, I think there were a couple of lightbulb moments there, and a couple of "rut roh Raggy" moments. I'm super appreciative right now though, because I think everyone helped keep me from making a mistake!

Lightbulb moment: Points are taken as soon as I book.

That means since I'm booking in ~ 10 days for our 2020 points, no need to bank. If I banked those points, I wouldn't be ABLE to book in 10 days, b/c I wouldn't have them available. It also means I'd likely never bank. I hope it also means that I'll never have "leftover points" because I'm always using the older ones first?

Lightbulb moment: I don't have to wait for my 11 month window to hit before calculating the point total needed.
I "know" in my head that the point charts exist, but I never went back and added them up for my dates, I've been waiting for the window to tell me.

Lightbulb moment: I won't have the 2020 points needed for the 2020 stay, until WAAAAY after I have to book it.
My concern about banking points was backwards, I need to figure out how to borrow forward. I know that once banked points are untouchable, but is it possible to borrow forward more than one time in a year?
Example: I calculate the 2020 trip to be 520 points. I have 288 now, so I borrow 232 from the RR contract (260 points) to book in 10 days. THEN sometime later in the year we decide to take a quick trip, and I want to use the remaining 28 points from the RR contract. Can I reach out to “borrow forward” again this year?

Doesn’t this mean that I NEVER bank those points b/c once I bank them I can’t use them to book in 10 days?

If I’m making the rez in 10 days, don’t I need to pull BACK enough UY 2020 points to get to 475, in your example?

I think both of those confusion points are related to the same thing: How can I use points that I bank to make a rez?

Again, apologies if something just isn't sinking in for me, and I REALLY appreciate everyone's help in preventing me from making a huge mistake!
Not quite yet. The part your missing now is that the points have to be valid for the time of your stay. So for a stay in April 2020 with an April UY the points eligible to book with are banked 2019 points, current 2020 points and you are also allowed to borrow 2021 points if needed. Your 2019 points that are now current can be used for stays from April 1, 2019 thru March 31. 2020. (Or rather today thru March 31st since we're already into the UY.

So to use the 2019 points on ther April 2020 reservation they have to be banked first. There is an option to bank while your booking too.

When you book is simply 11 months or less from your check in and doesn't relate to what points you use. The dates of your stay are what determine what points are eligible took be used.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #9
DougS
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
For your 5/2020 Riviera stay, feel free to bank all of your points now since you know that you'll use more than this year's allotment. You would want to use up all those banked points first before using your regular 2020 points to finish off the rest. At that point you can start thinking about how many extra you might have and what to do with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
The part your missing now is that the points have to be valid for the time of your stay... So to use the 2019 points on ther April 2020 reservation they have to be banked first.
Ok, I think I understand now. I was (incorrectly) thinking that points I bank from this year can't be used until future years, but it seems like that's the complete opposite.

Now I understand that I *can't* use 2019 points for a 2020 stay withOUT banking them first, which makes sense. I've never booked thru the website myself, the first and only time we've booked as members so far Member Services did it.

I'm just worried about playing with the interface to test it out, because I don't want to NOT end up doing it right. It sounds like I should just try to book something now, and walk through it? It'll ask me for the dates, then ask me if I want to use current or future points? There's no need to bank ahead of time, or borrow against 2020 ahead of time? Is it safe to assume that it'll guide me through, there's really no way to screw it up, and there's an easy "cancel this whole thing" button next to the "book trip" on the last screen?
1989 - Caribbean
2015 - Grand Floridian
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (Trip Report)
2020 - DRR (April)

Old 05-07-2019, 10:38 AM   #10
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Ok, I think I understand now. I was (incorrectly) thinking that points I bank from this year can't be used until future years, but it seems like that's the complete opposite.

Now I understand that I *can't* use 2019 points for a 2020 stay withOUT banking them first, which makes sense. I've never booked thru the website myself, the first and only time we've booked as members so far Member Services did it.

I'm just worried about playing with the interface to test it out, because I don't want to NOT end up doing it right. It sounds like I should just try to book something now, and walk through it? It'll ask me for the dates, then ask me if I want to use current or future points? There's no need to bank ahead of time, or borrow against 2020 ahead of time? Is it safe to assume that it'll guide me through, there's really no way to screw it up, and there's an easy "cancel this whole thing" button next to the "book trip" on the last screen?
Once points are banked that is it, they are in the future use year. However, if you decide you want to stay for a couple days later this year on a whim you could borrow back some 2020 points into this UY.

So, if I were planning what you are planning, I would bank all of my 2019 Riviera points to 2020. When you book your Riviera stay, you would use up all your banked points and then as many of your regular 2020 points as needed to make the reservation.

I have never banked points at the time at the time of making a reservation, so I can only speculate on that. I assume it's the same as borrowing points where you'd use up all your 2020 points before grabbing 2019 points to finish out the reservation. And if that's the case, it's not what you want to do. You'd want to use up all your 2019 points as well as the 2020 so that you have more time to figure out what to do with the leftovers.

For what you're looking to reserve, don't overthink it (and don't test it out). My recommendation is to just bank all your 2019 points to 2020 now, and then when you make your reservation you know that you don't want to be banking or borrowing anything else at that point. If you are new to the system and try to do too much, that's where mistakes happen.