home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-14-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
The.disney.couple
Two Bedroom

Default Update: Riviera or fixed CCV week?

Hello!

Looking to see if I could get some advice, comments, concerns etc on a purchasing either Riviera or a fixed week at CCV.

We currently own at VGC, poly and 125 points at CCV. We absolutely love CCV and have stayed there. It reminds us of home (VGC) and thats why we bought there. We toured the models at RR and did love the rooms. It would be nice to have an Epcot/ HS resort to complement our Magic kingdom resorts. We usually stay in studios but want to move up to 1 bedrooms and 2 bedrooms as the kids get older (2 kids) and maybe bringing grandparents or friends. We were looking at maybe 125 points at RR or new years week (Week 52) at CCV in a studio (161 points). It would be nice to have new years guaranteed in the future (like 15 years from now) when it is just my wife and I. I would love to make new years at WDW a tradition for my wife and I as we get older. We'e never been for New Years but would love to. But, at the same time be able to opt out and get a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom with the combined points of 286 (125+ 161) at CCV, the point charts are easier to swallow for a 1 bed and 2 bed at CCV. The point charts are steep for one and two bedrooms at RR so I think we would mostly stick to studios if we stay there with the 11 month advantage. Were wondering if it might be easier to book a 1 bedroom or 2 bedroom at RR with CCV points at 7 months on a splurge rather than every year with RR points. We do worry about resale restrictions, the high dues and high point charts although I think MF will mostly even out with the pay raises coming at the rest of the resorts. We usually travel Spring break (our SB always varies and isnt always attached to Easter) or the week before Halloween for October break, and can travel at the end of December but usually don't.

Possible scenarios

1. Buy 125 points at RR and keep everything status quo.

2. Buy the fixed week at CCV and keep everything else as status quo and hope to get in to RR at 7 months most likely in a one bedroom or 2 bed

3. Buy the fixed week at CCV and hold onto current 125 points at CCV and sell them after CCV sells out. I have two 50 point contracts and one 25 point contract so I could get a bit more. Then buy a small Riviera add of maybe 75 points.

4. Buy the fixed week at CCV and hold onto current 125 points at CCV and sell them after CCV sells out. I have two 50 point contracts and one 25 point contract so I could get a bit more. Then buy a resale BWV or BCV of maybe 100ish points and ride it until 2042 and then rebuy or extend (wishful thinking ) we really like the Boardwalk area but not sure we should even be considering a contract with that amount of time left as a young family.

5. Do nothing because I'm indecisive

Thanks for getting to the end and hoping for some good suggestions.

Also if anyone has a fixed week I would love to know how the points in your account work as far as either just using them as normal points or having the fixed week booked for you.

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en

Last edited by The.disney.couple; Yesterday at 02:48 PM.
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #2
starry_solo
Two Bedroom

Fixed week!
starry_solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

I'm big on Riviera but having stayed at CCV as well as cash WL it's a great place to be also.

Given that you won't get any decent Riviera incentives at 125 I feel strongly that you should go for #2 and get the dedicated studio week 52 at CCV (assuming it's still available). Chartpocalypse may have gotten rolled back for now but that doesn't 'mean that something similar won't be right around the corner, so you could end up using that many points just to stay there in the future without a guarantee. Plus if they do redistribute later it seems that the 2BR cost might come down a little and having those extra points at the 11 month mark could get you what you want for those holiday weeks.

Since Riviera already seems a bit higher for studios and 1br compared to 2, I'm not sure 125 gets you super far. The incentives go way up at each 25 points above that, so I don't think you get nearly the same value considering week 52 at a standard view studio would be over 200 points.

So while I love the setup at Riviera, for what you're putting out there I think the guaranteed week studio at CCV is a no brainer. You already own and love it there, and if you find you need to stay at Riviera sometimes then you can try at 7 months or rent at it or another boardwalk resort now and then.
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:32 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

I'd lean towards the CCV purchase (or nothing if indecision really kicks in!). It will give you the points for larger villas there in the future. I also think you'll be able to get larger villas at Riviera during the spring break time and plan on CCV for the fall trips. And everything will always be available to buy in the future if you eventually decide on Riviera or one of the other Epcot resorts.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 AM   #5
EEGRAM
Grand Villa

If the fixed week is available, I would buy that especially if you think you would want to go during NYE which is a very sought after reservation.
Old 04-15-2019, 04:48 AM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEGRAM View Post
If the fixed week is available, I would buy that especially if you think you would want to go during NYE which is a very sought after reservation.

The point charts will be changing in the future. If they end up being anywhere near the January rollout, you will be happy that you bought the fixed week.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:53 AM   #7
johnsonville5
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default Fixed week CCV

We would not consider fixed week. Not with the premium plus life changes fo us
johnsonville5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:03 AM   #8
Crafty
Grand Villa

I spoke to our guide yesterday about CCV. He seemed to say that many fixed weeks were gone because the resort is almost sold out. I would check on availability before agonizing over your decision. It may be moot.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:07 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I spoke to our guide yesterday about CCV. He seemed to say that many fixed weeks were gone because the resort is almost sold out. I would check on availability before agonizing over your decision. It may be moot.

Ahhh......This is so true!

Crafty is wise, very wise!
Old 04-15-2019, 09:09 AM   #10
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonville5 View Post
We would not consider fixed week. Not with the premium plus life changes fo us

I agree with life changes......you never know what is down the road.

The fixed weeks do convert to points as an option. Plus, the last point charts were very favorable for those CCV fixed week owners.....if the changes get implemented.