home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 04-05-2019, 12:46 PM   #1
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Default Wanted: Seasoned owners talk to me about Riviera

A little back story and where my head is at with Riviera:

What and Where I Own:
Now that the details about the cost to buy at Riviera have been revealed and we know about the resale restrictions I'm giving myself until April 30th to decide if I want to add on at Riviera. A straight add to what I already own is not an option. Something has to go if I want to add on there because I already own at 4 resorts (SSR, VGC, VGF & HHI). All of my points were bought in or before February of 2014.

My resorts expire as follows -- HHI 2042 / SSR 2054 / VGC 2060 / VGF 2064

Assuming good health I'll be able to see the expiration of my points at HHI, but the odds of me living to see the expiration of SSR, VGC & VGF is probably pretty slim.

Am I a Planner?
Planning for me is not a problem. I'm usually planning 12 - 18 months out for my DVC vacations.

Renting What I Own:
As many of your know, I do rent my points and could begin to do this more aggressively with the mentality of renting 1/2 and using 1/2. My two kids are reaching the age where they will be heading off to college (DS17 & DD16), so this would be an easy way to keep and afford what I have with college expenses looming around the corner.

What I was thinking of doing and Why:
At first I was thinking about selling my 700 SSR points and buying less points at Riviera as a replacement. I was actually pretty set on doing that because I pretty strongly dislike SSR, and avoid staying there at all cost -- obviously a drag since I own 700 points there. I just don't like the feeling/vibe of SSR and I'm not a Disney Springs fan, so proximity to DS doesn't add anything for me. It's funny because until they revamped DS I did like going there, but since it's been revamped it just feels like a big mall to me and I'm not a shopper.

On the flip side I think I would really like to own at Riviera. The resort looks beautiful, and I think I'm going to like the overall vibe a billion times better than SSR. The Gondolas are not a turn off for me. I ski and have been on many, many Chair Lifts, Gondolas & Aerial Trams so the Gondolas as a mode of transportation is something I'm very comfortable with and think the Gondolas will be timely and super reliable (unlike the monorail or buses). I worry about them being hot, but I don't tend to travel to WDW during the summer months, so this is a minimal concern to me.

What I'm thinking now:
At the beginning of the week I was all set to pull the trigger on the idea of selling my SSR and buying at Riviera, but after reading everything posted about the resort, as well as, comments on the Poll: Did you or will you purchase Riviera and giving it more thought now I'm not so sure.

My question for my MO peeps:
What are your thoughts about booking at Riviera at the 7 month window?

Obviously the tower rooms (whatever those rooms for 2 are called) won't be an option at 7 months, and studios will probably be tight too because these are the most popular, but do you think the trend for 1 bdrms being less popular will continue? I just feel like availability at all the resorts seems to be getting tighter and tighter and the home resort advantage is becoming more important.

What would you do if you were me? Sell my SSR points and buy Riviera? What do you think?

Where I'm Going 2019:

Friday, 01/18/19 - Monday, 01/21/19 - Offsite (Hyatt Regency Orange County)
Friday, 02/08/19 - Sunday, 02/10/19 - VGC
Sunday, 06/30/19 - Friday, 07/12/19 - HHI
Friday, 08/30/19 - Monday, 09/02/2019 - VGC
Friday, 09/27/19 - Tuesday, 10/01/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/11/19 - Monday, 10/14/2019 - VGC
Friday, 10/25/19 - Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - VGF
Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)
Monday, 11/04/2019 - Saturday, 11/09/2019 - BWV
Friday, 12/20/19 - Tuesday, 12/24/2019 - VGC

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 04-05-2019 at 01:23 PM.
cmrdgrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM   #2
Jillybean315
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post

What and Where I Own:
Now that the details about the cost to buy at Riviera have been revealed and we know about the resale restrictions I'm giving myself until April 30th to decide if I want to add on at Riviera. A straight add to what I already own is not an option. Something has to go if I want to add on there because I already own at 4 resorts (SSR, VGC, VGF & HHI). All of my points were bought in or before February of 2014.

Assuming good health I'll be able to see the expiration of my points at HHI, but the odds of me living to see the expiration of SSR, VGC & VGF is probably pretty slim.

Am I a Planner?
Planning for me is not a problem. I'm usually planning 12 - 18 months out for my DVC vacations.

Renting What I Own:
As many of your know, I do rent my points and could begin to do this more aggressively with the mentality of renting 1/2 and using 1/2. My two kids are reaching the age where they will be heading off to college (DS17 & DD16), so this would be an easy way to keep and afford what I have with college expenses looming around the corner.

At first I was thinking about selling my 700 SSR points and buying less points at Riviera as a replacement. I was actually pretty set on doing that because I pretty strongly dislike SSR, and avoid staying there at all cost -- obviously a drag since I own 700 points there. I just don't like the feeling/vibe of SSR and I'm not a Disney Springs fan, so proximity to DS doesn't add anything for me. It's funny because until they revamped DS I did like going there, but since it's been revamped it just feels like a big mall to me and I'm not a shopper.

On the flip side I think I would really like to own at Riviera. The resort looks beautiful, and I think I'm going to like the overall vibe a billion times better than SSR. The Gondolas are not a turn off for me. I ski and have been on many, many Chair Lifts, Gondolas & Aerial Trams so the Gondolas as a mode of transportation is something I'm very comfortable with and think it will be timely and super reliable (unlike the monorail or buses). I worry about them being hot, but I don't tend to travel to WDW during the summer months, so this is a minimal concern to me.

What I'm thinking now:
At the beginning of the week I was all set to pull the trigger on the idea of selling my SSR and buying at Riviera, but after reading everything posted about the resort, as well as, comments on the Poll: Did you or will you purchase Riviera and giving it more thought now I'm not so sure.

Obviously the tower rooms (whatever those rooms for 2 are called) won't be an option at 7 months, and studios will probably be tight too because these are the most popular, but do you think the trend for 1 bdrms being less popular will continue? I just feel like availability at all the resorts seems to be getting tighter and tighter and the home resort advantage is becoming more important.

What would you do if you were me? Sell my SSR points and buy Riviera? What do you think?
If I were in your position (I wish I were... 700 points would be a dream!), I would sell and rebuy. If you really dislike SSR to the point of avoiding it at all costs, you are really just wasting that 11-month booking window on all of those points. You can get a pretty hefty amount via resale for that contract. IMO, you would get a better advantage and value with your points.

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013 (Split Stay)
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013 (Split Stay)
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016 (1st DVC Visit)
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018

Coming Soon: Split Stay Off Property & Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

(Me) (DH) (DS age 14) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
jswain16
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmrdgrs View Post

What and Where I Own:

Am I a Planner?

Renting What I Own:

On the flip side I think I would really like to own at Riviera. The resort looks beautiful, and I think I'm going to like the overall vibe a billion times better than SSR. The Gondolas are not a turn off for me. I ski and have been on many, many Chair Lifts, Gondolas & Aerial Trams so the Gondolas as a mode of transportation is something I'm very comfortable with and think it will be timely and super reliable (unlike the monorail or buses). I worry about them being hot, but I don't tend to travel to WDW during the summer months, so this is a minimal concern to me.

What I'm thinking now:

I would also sell and rebuy.

Why own something you hate and be at the mercy of a 7-month window that keeps getting tighter? Further, Riviera seems to have good value at the opening price and longevity of the term. You may also take advantage of incentives to further add value to your buy. I feel that Riviera is going to be very exclusive. I also love the idea of a truly DVC property to call home. I think it will be highly sought and not easily acquired without being an owner. New cult resort? Maybe!
jswain16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #4
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillybean315 View Post
If I were in your position (I wish I were... 700 points would be a dream!), I would sell and rebuy. If you really dislike SSR to the point of avoiding it at all costs, you are really just wasting that 11-month booking window on all of those points. You can get a pretty hefty amount via resale for that contract. IMO, you would get a better advantage and value with your points.
This was exactly my thought on Monday. But, now I'm thinking I could just earmark those SSR points for rentals and use my VGC or HHI points to book at Riviera if I want to stay there. I'm always happy to stay at VGF it is one of my favorite resorts in the network (however I dislike the unreliability of the monorail).

The question really comes down to a guess about what the 7 month window will look like for booking

I have my HHI points on the market right now for sale and now I'm actually thinking of pulling that contract off the market and keeping those points because the MFs on my HHI points aren't that much higher than Riviera right out of the gate. But, the dang hurricanes are a threat to the rising cost of MFs at HHI.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Wednesday, 10/30/2019 - Monday, 11/04/2019 - BWV (Running 2nd 10K w/BFF - 11/02/19)

Last edited by cmrdgrs; 04-05-2019 at 01:09 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-05-2019, 01:20 PM   #5
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I would sell and rebuy. But I would hold off on buying RR until it's opened and I checked it out. If it's not all that (and I suspect it won't be), why pay for it? It's not going to sell out for quite a while. Check it out first.

I feel the same way you do about SSR and DS. I used to love DTD and PI. No more.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
3 Nights Only* Thinly Veiled Excuse* Surf and Turf* Once Upon a Fantasy* Galactic Spectacular NYE 17-18* The Fall of Disney 17* Tale of Two Views 17* Back in the S.S.R. 17* Uni Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 16* Spring Surprise 16* NYE in the World 15-16

Coming up...
5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-PVB Western Carib***7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday ***9/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival ***12/2019 VGC*** 3/2020 RCCL Southern Carib

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:28 PM   #6
cmrdgrs
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boundin' View Post
I would sell and rebuy. But I would hold off on buying RR until it's opened and I checked it out. If it's not all that (and I suspect it won't be), why pay for it? It's not going to sell out for quite a while. Check it out first.

I feel the same way you do about SSR and DS. I used to love DTD and PI. No more.
I have to agree with you about wanting to see the resort. This also crossed my mind to keep what I have for now. At such a high price I don't want to buy and not love the resort (repeating my SSR mistake).

Since it will be a large resort availability at the 7 month window may look good for a while and if I really end up liking the resort I could sell SSR and buy on the resale market and if the prices end up being lower due to the restrictions it could end up being a win-win for me. It won't bother me if I can only use my Riviera points at Riviera because that's probably were I'd want to use them anyway. I'd probably end up keeping my VGC points so I'd be a blue card DVC member.

Where I'm Going 2019:

Old 04-05-2019, 01:31 PM   #7
Lovetheboardwalk
Grand Villa

Rule #1 with DVC... buy where you want to stay.

I think that answers your question. I would consider the consequences of
having to sell Riviera down the road. No one is sure what that will look like yet.

Home Sweet Home:
**BWV 1999 **BRV 2017**

**Boulder Ridge Jan. 2020**
**Boardwalk Feb. 2020**
Resorts we still need to visit: VGF, AKL, and Poly
Lovetheboardwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:36 PM   #8
DVCQUEEN
Grand Villa

Iím a direct purchase owner at SSR from pre opening sales.

Iím not parting with my SSR. It is affordable to own and it gets me the larger villas at other DVCs and will continue to secure larger villas because points are so expensive most people are not purchasing or maintaining 700 or more point ownership.

Those points are a workhorse and I would work the heck out of them. 700 SSR gets you approximately 425 Riviera equivalent with incentives.
The 1 bedrooms and larger at RR are point heavy compared to L14 resorts.

Renting, if you take broker $13.50 on SSR thatís 700 points.
RR is $14.50 broker (if designated as premium) @ 425 points

Thatís $3,287.50 more if you keep and rent SSR through a broker annually.

Your SSR can pay for everything if you hold on to it and rent.
DVCQUEEN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:38 PM   #9
Jawfish
One Bedroom

I am also in the camp of sell your SSR and then buy where you DO want to stay. You may want to check out DRR before buying.

With 700 SSR sold, you could have the best of both worlds!! Buy some at DRR and maybe some elsewhere so you have choices at 11 mos. We now have 2 PVB contracts, one direct, one resale, totaling 330. If we buy more, we may buy some BLT just so we have choices and somewhere new to try. LOL

One thing we were SUPER lucky with - everyone says buy where you want to stay. When we bought we did not know any better and were told you could not buy into sold out resorts. Knew nothing about resale. Thankfully, if we HAD to choose (which we just did with a resale), we would pick PVB again. So for us, we luckily bought where we wanted to stay. We stay at other resorts when we can or if we want to stretch our points.

BUT.... what would happen if we HAD to stay at our home resort? (Not projecting) If you hate SSR, in the future, you may be forced to stay there. I would sell now while the selling is good.

The important thing someone else said - you are WASTING an 11 month window by keeping something you don't love. If you had a car you simply did not like, wouldn't you sell it and buy something else? This is pretty much the same thing.

Hope it helps.

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)

2019 Offsite (May)
2019 PVB (Sep)
2019 PVB (Dec)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Jawfish
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCQUEEN View Post
Iím a direct purchase owner at SSR from pre opening sales.

Iím not parting with my SSR. It is affordable to own and it gets me the larger villas at other DVCs and will continue to secure larger villas because points are so expensive most people are not purchasing or maintaining 700 or more point ownership.

Those points are a workhorse and I would work the heck out of them. 700 SSR gets you approximately 425 Riviera equivalent with incentives.
The 1 bedrooms and larger at RR are point heavy compared to L14 resorts.

Renting, if you take broker $13.50 on SSR thatís 700 points.
RR is $14.50 broker (if designated as premium) @ 425 points

Thatís $3,287.50 more if you keep and rent SSR through a broker annually.

Your SSR can pay for everything if you hold on to it and rent.
You make good points if the booking is for the larger room types.

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)