home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Non-DVC-Related Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 11:29 AM   #1
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Default Dollywood spring break TR

Since we are on our break from Disney until the fall, and live in TN, we decided to get APs for Dollywood this year and make that our go-to for now. Just back from a 3 day spring break trip , and had a great time.
Kids LOVED all those crazy coasters again. AND I finally scratched them all off my to-do list. Did Tennessee Tornado and Lightning Rod this go round.
TN tornado is such a short ride, didn't really get bothered by the jerkiness and loops. Now Lighting Rod tho...wow, that's a rush, and it doesn't even have loops, but it's crazy fast and thrilling. I like Wild Eagle of them all, several loops and drops, but it's not a wooden coaster, so it's very smooth, Still only did each one once, that that was plenty.

Highlights:
"Rope Dropped" the last day, and DH and kids were the very first in line for Lightning Rod and got to ride on the front row. They said that was crazy.

International Festival of Nations--About 9 food booths (think FW on much smaller scale) and several wonderful shows. We enjoyed Trinidad and Tobago steel drummers, Atahualpa from S America, and briefly the musicians from Quebec. THey were outside and easy to enjoy at own leisure (like shows at the Amer adventure, can sit or just meander around outside) The 2 indoor shows were S African drummers and Cuban dancers. We didn't make the time to catch those, but they were supposed to be great.

Mr Picky DS tried poutine and loved it. DD tried paella and liked that. Also enjoyed the Bobotie and Cuban sandwich, but the other dishes we tried were misses. Food quality definitely not like FW.

DH got the gold AP, and you get 20% off on just about anything> I think it's totally worth it for at least one person to get the pass, and it's really not much more than regular, or 2 day passes.

Love the theming/setting of Dollywood, Very themed for the Smokies/TN mountains. Lots of water wheels, flowing water, waterfalls, etc all over the park, all around the coasters. The views you get while climbing the coasters and from Drop Line are amazing.

Lots of thrill rides now since kids are older, so we didn't go to the kiddie section this time, but there's a good amt of stuff for the smaller younglings.

staying at the Dreammore resort is SO convenient. Shuttle runs about every 15-20 mins. Resort is nice enough. You also get timesaver passes for every day you stay. They work like Fastpasses. You get a punchcard on a lanyard, with 10 total punches: 8 for any ride, but 2 reserved for either lightning rod and/or Drop LIne (Lightning rod did get up to 75 mins the first day we arrived) We only used those 2 punches tho, and maybe 2 other punches for each day. If you go early, lines are not bad at all. you can also buy the Timesaver pass if not staying at Dream more.

Dolly themed stuff everywhere. I think even if folks not into country music, many still know Dolly's songs, etc. There's attractions based around her. like a movie of her story, and a tour of her tour bus. We've not done any of that yet, but one day

Festivals change out. International fest is only for the next few weeks. Saw signs for BBQ and BLuegrass fest in late May, and when we went in Oct, there was a gospel fest going on. Not our thing, but if you're into that, would be a good time. They have great decorations in Oct for Halloween, and again in Dec for Christmas, so hope to ck those out later in the year.

All in all, a great getaway. much busier than when we went last Oct, but since kids LOVE the thrill rides now, it's a good option while we wait for Disney
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 02:50 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for the summary, glad you enjoyed your getaway. Sometime Iíll come check out the area for a few days.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:58 PM   #3
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Silver Dollar City APís used to work at Dollywood. I wonder if that is still true? Weíve always talked about visiting Dollywood, but itís a 9 hour drive for us and SDC is only 4.5. Sounds like you had a fantastic time, though! Maybe someday we will make it out there.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Popcorn Buckets
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Let us know how it is in December! We're considering making a trip down to Gatlinburg from Virginia right before New Years.
Old 03-23-2019, 11:14 PM   #5
Crafty
Grand Villa

I am now a bit too old for thrilling coasters. Is there enough else to do there?

The bluegrass festival seems like fun and I love the music!

We are not so far away, in SC. We could drive over for a couple of days. Should we plan a trip?

P.S. it is four hours away from us.
Crafty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 AM   #6
BWV Dreamin
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crafty View Post
I am now a bit too old for thrilling coasters. Is there enough else to do there?

We are not so far away, in SC. We could drive over for a couple of days. Should we plan a trip?

Iím right there with Crafty. Always wanted to go to Dollywood. There are some bus trips that leave our community that go to Dollywood over Christmas. Is the bluegrass festival all year?

BWV Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:54 AM   #7
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Nice review. I Agree!

We went to Dollywood last year at Spring break and did enjoy it. DS09 isnít much into scary rides so we didnít do anything thrilling! I did attempt to go on one coaster but, being a ďPooh sizedĒ person, I tried the test chair and did not fit.

We enjoyed the entertainment and the food choices. The park was physically very attractive and we spent a full day wandering and riding lesser rides.

Parking was easy!
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 11:55 AM   #8
nicsmom
Grand Villa

Quote:

Crafty, if you have never been in the area, it is worth the drive for a few days!
nicsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:00 PM   #9
CarolA
Add-on Aficionado

Dollywood generally does great entertainment. (She does know entertainment!)

I have gone and done rides and gone and just wandered. Either way it's a nice park.
CarolA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 12:53 PM   #10
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWV Dreamin View Post
Iím right there with Crafty. Always wanted to go to Dollywood. There are some bus trips that leave our community that go to Dollywood over Christmas. Is the bluegrass festival all year?
Looks like the Bluegrass festival is only May 24-June 2, so that Memorial Day week. I think we will try to visit again then.

The Harvest festival was going on last year when we visited, it's Sept 27-Nov 2. Great fun, Fall/Halloween theming. That was also the Gospel fest, but I remember a stage having just good fiddle music.

They're opening a whole new section early summer, don'tn know

Agree with PPs that it's a fun park to just wander through, We've yet to ride the train, but they have one. Also there are quite a few interesting shops: blown glass, blacksmith, pottery , leather works, etc.

Plus you're so very close to the entrance to the Great Smoky Mtn National Park, which would also just be a great day, beautiful views, hiking, etc.. Hope to work that into next trip.

Make sure you ck hours /schedules tho. Park just opened for the season, March 16, was closed since Jan. Water park is still closed (there's also a water park right next to the theme park. We've not tried it yet, as it's been closed the times we've visited)
Also for the next few weeks, the park is closed on Tuesdays..Then in the fall it seems to be closed Mon/Tues, or Tues/Wed...weird schedules...best to check out the schedules/ FAQs, etc.
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote