home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-23-2019, 09:53 AM   #1
RweTHEREyet
Add-on Aficionado

Default SWGE strategies

So, we have been told that nothing guarantees you entrance to DHS when SWGE opens, not a resort stay, not an Annual Pass, doesn't matter who you know or who you are.

But, based on a comment made in one of the threads here, it seems that maybe an ADR might still get you in the park.

We have booked a 4 night stay the third week of September and this morning I was able to book dining for that stay. I managed to get an ADR for every day of our stay--some breakfast and some lunch. I am not sure if the ADRs will actually make any difference, but I am thinking they would let us in since there is a fee if we don't show up for the ADRs.

Anyone else going during the SWGE opening time frame come up with strategies for getting into DHS?

To be honest, if I get to see the area, I will be a happy camper.

Last edited by RweTHEREyet; 03-24-2019 at 03:12 PM.
RweTHEREyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 10:16 AM   #2
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RweTHEREyet View Post
So, we have been told us that nothing guarantees you entrance to DHS when SWGE opens, not a resort stay, not an Annual Pass, doesn't matter who you know or who you are.

But, based on a comment made in one of the threads here, it seems that maybe an ADR might still get you in the park.

We have booked a 4 night stay the third week of September and this morning I was able to book dining for that stay. I managed to get an ADR for every day of our stay--some breakfast and some lunch. I am not sure if the ADRs will actually make any difference, but I am thinking they would let us in since there is a fee if we don't show up for the ADRs.

Anyone else going during the SWGE opening time frame come up with strategies for getting into DHS?

To be honest, if I get to see the area, I will be a happy camper.
I am 100% certain that anybody with ADRs will get into the park. Otherwise, Disney has to automatically waive cancellation fees for every DHS ADR. They can't tell a guest "No, you can't enter and you have to call this number to get your fee waived."

I could see a dedicated ADR entry line, just like they do with pre-park opening ADRs.

Regarding other strategies, I don't think we know enough yet. Lines will certainly be long. The only thing I can think of is be prepared to get there early.

If it's more or less like Pandora, I would plan to arrive at the gate 60-90 minutes before park opening. That has to get you into the park. And then just do what you want to do.

We'll know more after DL opens, and you'll have the advantage of seeing how the first couple of weeks goes at DHS before you get there.

I agree, just seeing the land and shopping around would be a huge thrill. We all know we're coming back and can get to do everything eventually.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:01 PM   #3
Carol
Add-on Aficionado

I hope they do a reservation system for at least the first few months at WDW like they seem to be planning for Disneyland. If so, I hope they give resort guests some type of priority. Otherwise, I fear they will have a very big problem with crowd control.

It will be interesting to hear the reports from Disneyland. Glad they are opening there first.
Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:20 PM   #4
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol View Post
I hope they do a reservation system for at least the first few months at WDW like they seem to be planning for Disneyland. If so, I hope they give resort guests some type of priority. Otherwise, I fear they will have a very big problem with crowd control.

It will be interesting to hear the reports from Disneyland. Glad they are opening there first.
I agree. Although at the moment they have said a reservation is not required at WDW, it is possible that this will be introduced as a result of what happens at DL. At least a couple of reputable insiders have hinted this is likely.

Some kind of virtual queueing system seems a good idea. Otherwise, you could be in DHS with an ADR or FPs for non SW rides, but unable to get into SW:GE without leaving the park and rejoining a queue dedicated to Star Wars. DHS simply isnít set up to deal with the lengthy lines within the rest of the park. Imagine having to cross that line to get to Muppets, Star Tours, Jedi Training, Backlot Express, Indy etc.

I also wonder how they plan get people out of SW:GE once theyíre in the land. There are plenty who would happily stay all day, literally riding Smugglerís Run over and over.

As for strategies. I expect daily EMH. Get there at least two hours before EMH starts, to get ahead of the rest of the world.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:37 PM   #5
DVC_KLP
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
As for strategies. I expect daily EMH. Get there at least two hours before EMH starts, to get ahead of the rest of the world.
I agree, and I think this will mean that onsite visitors have a huge advantage getting into the land. By the time offsite visitors arrive, the line to get in to SWGE might be full for the day. Sometimes DHS might also be full for the day by normal opening time.
DVC_KLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 12:58 PM   #6
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC_KLP View Post
I agree, and I think this will mean that onsite visitors have a huge advantage getting into the land. By the time offsite visitors arrive, the line to get in to SWGE might be full for the day. Sometimes DHS might also be full for the day by normal opening time.

Iím not sure how they will factor in the people in Galaxyís Edge into the park capacity as a whole. But even if you have zero interest in SW:GE, if you want to be sure of getting into DHS, having an ADR or FPs and staying onsite will at least mean youíre in the last group to be turned away.

Incidentally, if you had an ADR and didnít get into the park, I think GS would cancel the no-show fee without question.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:08 PM   #7
ziravan
Two Bedroom

I would still go with concierge level room. If, as is rumored, they start selling FP’s, then they’ll almost certainly continue to honor the concierge paid FP option.

If you can book a paid SW:GE FP at 90 days out, that’ll not just get you into HS but SW:GE as well.

If it doesn’t pan out that way, you can always cancel.
ziravan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:11 PM   #8
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
And don't drink anything after 9:00PM the previous night...
I'm going to be in the "stay clear for a year" camp.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #9
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziravan View Post
I would still go with concierge level room. If, as is rumored, they start selling FPís, then theyíll almost certainly continue to honor the concierge paid FP option.

If you can book a paid SW:GE FP at 90 days out, thatíll not just get you into HS but SW:GE as well.

If it doesnít pan out that way, you can always cancel.
Donít forget there will be no FPs for the Star Wars rides to begin with. Possibly not for 6 months or so after opening.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:23 PM   #10
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
And don't drink anything after 9:00PM the previous night...
Hmm. I wonder if that's how Disney plans to flush the queues (non pun intended)? If the waits get too long, start passing out bottles of water and don't offer potty passes.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote