home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Resorts
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-20-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Default Parking when visiting resort?

I read recently that someone got turned away when they went to another resort because they didn't have a restaurant reservation there. Does anyone here have any experience? We're what you'd call "resort CS hoppers". We don't pool hop, but we often drive over to another resorts CS to eat there. And since you don't make reservations at CS, this would mean an end to a favorite non-park activity. We've eaten at Mara at AKL, Captain Cook's, POR food court, POFQ CS,etc. So does anyone know if we can still do this?
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
lovindisney
Add-on Aficionado

Just say you are DVC members and you are there to look at the resort. Unless it is a very busy season, they will generally let you in.
lovindisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:10 PM   #3
Karlie
Studio

You can still do it. Just tell the guard that you want to visit the resort and they will let you in. Only thing is that you have to show your DVC membership card as well as your ID.
Karlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:20 PM   #4
SAMAYA
Studio

The following is taken from https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/gu...vices/parking/

Disney Vacation Club Members
Members will not be charged for standard overnight self-parking when staying at a DVC Deluxe Villa, regardless of whether they use vacation points or another form of payment. Members also will not be charged to park when using vacation points to stay at a Walt Disney World Resort hotel.

Day Guests
Complimentary standard self-parking is available while enjoying select dining, shopping, entertainment, and recreation experiences at Disney Resort hotels.

A Day Guest is someone who is not staying at a Disney Resort hotel, and they are allowed to park at any of the resorts (so long as it's not too busy).

As lovindisney suggest, say you're DVC and if that fails show the guard the above webpage on Parking and good luck.

Last edited by SAMAYA; 03-20-2019 at 07:15 PM.
SAMAYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:39 PM   #5
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

I've had no issues doing it. I just be honest and tell them what I want to do. Granted this last trip we were at BW so we didn't have to do it, but we've been known to go eat ice cream at Ample Hills enough I always plan to park valet just in case, but I haven't been turned away yet. I do go with a big smile on my face and ask super sweetly.
Old 03-20-2019, 07:47 PM   #6
Times3
Studio

We have had problems with this at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk. We flew in at night and planned to eat at Geyser Point Grill around 9pm. It was nothing less than a fiasco! The guard could care less that we were DVC members and insisted we needed either a resort or dining reservation. We kept trying to explain that you canít make reservations for where we were headed but none of that mattered. Similar situation when we tried to eat at Big River Grill. That trip wasnít making me feel like I was visiting the happiest place on earth!
Times3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:57 PM   #7
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times3 View Post
We have had problems with this at Wilderness Lodge and Boardwalk. We flew in at night and planned to eat at Geyser Point Grill around 9pm. It was nothing less than a fiasco! The guard could care less that we were DVC members and insisted we needed either a resort or dining reservation. We kept trying to explain that you canít make reservations for where we were headed but none of that mattered. Similar situation when we tried to eat at Big River Grill. That trip wasnít making me feel like I was visiting the happiest place on earth!
This is the type of reception I'm afraid of at the resorts. Frankly, we've been doing this the most when we stay at OKW partially because of the limited CS there. Not a welcome change.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:30 PM   #8
Times3
Studio

I think it may depend on the time of year and the resort that you visit.
Times3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 06:57 AM   #9
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Times3 View Post

That is unfortunate. I would have asked to speak to a manager/supervisor. I understand that they are only trying to control the "abuse" by people trying to get free parking to access the parks. But at 9pm at night, this is really not an issue.

Did they eventually let you in?
Old 03-21-2019, 07:02 AM   #10
leo122160
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
That is unfortunate. I would have asked to speak to a manager/supervisor. I understand that they are only trying to control the "abuse" by people trying to get free parking to access the parks. But at 9pm at night, this is really not an issue.

Did they eventually let you in?
Disappointing to hear. Boardwalk a destination too. Hope you eventually got in and enjoyed besides the struggle .