home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes

Old 03-14-2019, 09:56 AM   #1
Joeli
Two Bedroom
 
Joeli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 635
Default Guest Experience made permanent in MK, Epcot, HS and AK

I happened on this article, and thought it would be helpful for people that are in the parks. It looks like Disney recognizes there are issues, and are trying to come up with interesting and "effective" solutions?

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/magic-king...nimal-kingdom/
__________________

Upcoming:
Dec/Jan 2020 - SSR (hoping for BRV @ 7)/BWV (Split for NYE)
Dec 2019 - RCCL Allure of the Seas
Nov 2019 - BWV
Oct 2019 - BWV
Sept 2019 - BLT
Aug 2019 - Hilton Bonnett creek
Jul 2019 - Swan
Jun 2019 - BWV

Done:
2019 (Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr, May) - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea, BRV, PVB, Swan, Swan
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov, Dec) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan, SSR
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,050
Default

Disney has made going to WDW so difficult for families who have never visited before or who have not been back for the last five years. Robin has so many new Disney clients that are lost and intimidated when it comes to planning their trips. Most listen to her advice, but there are still several that either don't believe her or think she is over hyping the planning required. Those latter people need the additional in park help.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:46 AM   #3
DVCjj
Two Bedroom
 
DVCjj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 979
Default

Thank goodness there's onsite help. My DD is an ESL teacher for many Japanese corporate families who all want to go to Disney World. Because they are very familiar with the Asian parks, they think they can simply 'show up' at Disney World....mostly in July/August/July 4/Christmas.

She is very experienced with Disney and sets up MDE & FP's, instructions, tips, etc. and so many of them decide they are just want to 'wing it'. She literally begs them not to.

She is so frustrated at times because she gets texts from them that it's insane and they are confused and not having a good time.
DVCjj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:55 AM   #4
FessParker1
Grand Villa
 
FessParker1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 1,065
Default

I have friends that join us every xmas season and said they would never go again unless I was doing all the planning. Good thing I enjoy doing it or they would be out of luck.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:56 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide
 
tomandrobin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Maryland
Posts: 33,050
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCjj View Post
Thank goodness there's onsite help. My DD is an ESL teacher for many Japanese corporate families who all want to go to Disney World. Because they are very familiar with the Asian parks, they think they can simply 'show up' at Disney World....mostly in July/August/July 4/Christmas.

She is very experienced with Disney and sets up MDE & FP's, instructions, tips, etc. and so many of them decide they are just want to 'wing it'. She literally begs them not to.

She is so frustrated at times because she gets texts from them that it's insane and they are confused and not having a good time.

I do feel for her. Not only are they unfairly comparing WDW to Asian Parks, but there is the language/culture barrier to over come.
__________________
Love, Faith and Pixie dust!
tomandrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:01 AM   #6
PSULion22
Grand Villa
 
PSULion22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 3,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
I happened on this article, and thought it would be helpful for people that are in the parks. It looks like Disney recognizes there are issues, and are trying to come up with interesting and "effective" solutions?

https://wdwnt.com/2019/03/magic-king...nimal-kingdom/
I'd argue that they are doing this to shorten lines at guest services. Too many people are likely going there to have these things fixed and it's causing long lines for those people who truly need guest services. Not that these issues aren't things that need to be resolved. They just don't need to be done by guest services. I'm sure that CMs at FP entrances and the kiosks seen a lot of these issues as well, which just slows things down and hurts everyone's experience*. I'm also thinking there is a percentage of guests that don't have or use the MDE app on their phones, and/or have no idea what any of this stuff is.

*on our last trip we saw a group of about 6 teenage boys cut the FP line at SDD because the CMs at both checkpoints were too overwhelmed with fixing issues to properly check for verifications.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 11:13 AM   #7
PSULion22
Grand Villa
 
PSULion22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 3,292
Default

The reality is that the planning aspect hasn't made anything more difficult. Under the old system, it was estimated that less than half of the guests knew what FPs were, and the total FP allotment was used by far less than the other half that did. It's far busier than it used to be. That's it. In all likelihood, these same people that just show up would have the exact same negative experience in the old system. They'd be waiting in the same lines they are now, if not longer because less people would be utilizing the FP service, meaning more people in standby. With 2019 crowds, no one is showing up and walking on a ride in any possible system. Period.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:09 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado
 
Goofygrl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 11,997
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSULion22 View Post
The reality is that the planning aspect hasn't made anything more difficult. Under the old system, it was estimated that less than half of the guests knew what FPs were, and the total FP allotment was used by far less than the other half that did. It's far busier than it used to be. That's it. In all likelihood, these same people that just show up would have the exact same negative experience in the old system. They'd be waiting in the same lines they are now, if not longer because less people would be utilizing the FP service, meaning more people in standby. With 2019 crowds, no one is showing up and walking on a ride in any possible system. Period.
And how do we know that isn't still the case? Sure, some people didn't know what it was but 1 question to anyone getting a FP or a CM would have explained it. There will be late arrivers who now get FP's who did not before but those that didn't know about FP's before probably don't know now.
__________________
Three Little Circles
Goofygrl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:42 PM   #9
PSULion22
Grand Villa
 
PSULion22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sunny South Florida
Posts: 3,292
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
And how do we know that isn't still the case? Sure, some people didn't know what it was but 1 question to anyone getting a FP or a CM would have explained it. There will be late arrivers who now get FP's who did not before but those that didn't know about FP's before probably don't know now.
Last I saw, I remember FP utilization being in the 80's now. I forget where that was though, same place I saw the 50% previous number. I think it was in an article about the purpose and effects of MM+. There used to be absolutely no explanation or mention of FPs. Many, many people though you had to pay to use them. Sure, it's an easy question to have answered, but for whatever reason, of which there could be a vast number, people didn't ask. And it's possible that those that did ask, or got to the park, too late to get/use them didn't bother on rides that didn't need them. Now everything is tied to one place. Guests get emails about planning stages. Welcome packets/emails prominently feature FP+. They get emails about it being time to schedule Fps. It's right on the front page every time they log in to their account to do anything, like make a package payment. The entire purpose of MM+ was to better predict and manage crowd behavior, and maximize operational cost efficiency as a result. Disney is doing everything in their power to make guests aware of MM+, and get them into the system. That was nowhere near the case before.
PSULion22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:52 PM   #10
Disney dreaming
Two Bedroom
 
Disney dreaming's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 790
Default

This is a great idea.
Disney dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:10 PM.

MouseOwners. "MouseOwners" is a registered servicemark. This is an unofficial fan site and is not affiliated in any way with The Walt Disney Company, the Disney Vacation Club, Disney Vacation Development, or any of their affiliates or subsidiaries. All Disney images The Walt Disney Company.
Powered by Forum Software