home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Questions about Buying and Selling DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 AM   #1
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Default Lies told by DVC Kiosk Staffers

Usually the chatter I overhear or exchange with the DVC Kiosk staff is simply "butterflies, rainbows, glitter and unicorns." All cheery stuff, nothing serious.

In our recent trip last week, I was surprised to have overheard or been told the following DVC lies from those same staffers:
  • Overheard at the DVC Kiosk inside the Epcot Member Lounge: You can exchange back into other Orlando resorts via RCI.
    Perhaps I should take the time to verify (log into my DVC account > pass through to RCI and run queries) but I thought all Orlando locations were under a geographical restriction (blocked out) from DVC owners?
  • Told, directly, while pin trading at the Epcot DVC Kiosk near Canada: Treehouses are 3BR for the point cost of a 2BR!
    Wait. That was true originally ... but changed years ago. Treehouses haven't been the same point cost as a 2BR for a rather long time. Why continue to repeat that old line??

What have you overheard or been told by the Kiosk staff?
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 AM   #2
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Default Just OK is not OK

Have you heard AT&T's series of "Just ok is NOT ok" commercials? I tried it out on one of the above mentioned DVC Kiosk staffers after overhearing the RCI exchange suggestion.

I'm in the Epcot Member lounge, wearing a lanyard of all DVC pins ... hoping to pick up another, if possible. The staffer was pretty heavy handed with the prior guest (pushy, bordering on hard sell). When he asked how much we love our DVC membership I replied, "Its ok." Wow, the look on his face! That shut him down fast.

FWIW, we were having a rough visit at Kidani but I didn't go into it with him. Housekeeping these days isn't what it used to be ... it is "just ok."
Old 03-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #3
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwvBound View Post
  • Overheard at the DVC Kiosk inside the Epcot Member Lounge: You can exchange back into other Orlando resorts via RCI.
    Perhaps I should take the time to verify (log into my DVC account > pass through to RCI and run queries) but I thought all Orlando locations were under a geographical restriction (blocked out) from DVC owners?
Ran the test through DVC Members site > RCI. All of Orlando appears blocked to me!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:00 AM   #4
frank808
One Bedroom

Quote:
Ran the test through DVC Members site > RCI. All of Orlando appears blocked to me!
Point systems such as HGVC, Wyndham and DVC do not restrict back to Orlando exchanges even though the resort you own at (within mini point system) is physically 50 miles within Orlando.

When you see no units within Orlando it is most likely the caused by the quality filter. Meaning they are not up to what DVC members trading points would like. Now this is quality filter is instituted by RCI. You can call in and speak to a DVC RCI rep and they can override that filter.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:11 AM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank808 View Post
When you see no units within Orlando it is most likely the caused by the quality filter. Meaning they are not up to what DVC members trading points would like. Now this is quality filter is instituted by RCI. You can call in and speak to a DVC RCI rep and they can override that filter.

Hope this helps.
So if I were to phone into DVC Member Services I would be able to book a nearby Orlando resort location? Ok, so the "lie" was only a half-truth, perhaps. (Phoning is a major hassle for me, given that I live with a parrot. "If I can't do it online ... it can't be done" is almost a mantra around here.)

Edit to add: Thanks! Yes, that helps!
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Usually the chatter I overhear or exchange with the DVC Kiosk staff is simply "butterflies, rainbows, glitter and unicorns." All cheery stuff, nothing serious.

In our recent trip last week, I was surprised to have overheard or been told the following DVC lies from those same staffers:
  • Told, directly, while pin trading at the Epcot DVC Kiosk near Canada: [b]Treehouses are 3BR for the point cost of a 2BR![/B]
    Wait. That was true originally ... but changed years ago. Treehouses haven't been the same point cost as a 2BR for a rather long time. Why continue to repeat that old line??

What have you overheard or been told by the Kiosk staff?
Treehouse villas for one week we usually go is 277 points. BRV 269. BLT 266/298/360. So not exactly a lie. Sure OKW and SSR are cheaper, but some are really close if not more.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:02 PM   #7
ealvarado8899
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenabear View Post
Treehouse villas for one week we usually go is 277 points. BRV 269. BLT 266/298/360. So not exactly a lie. Sure OKW and SSR are cheaper, but some are really close if not more.
I think it is fair to say they are close enough, and in some cases TH is cheaper than a 2BDR if you compare apples to oranges.

i.e. TH < 2 BDR VGF

Random 1 weeknight in April is 4 points more for TH. 50 for the TH and 46 for the 2BD at SSR premium. While not equal, close enough and in idle conversation I might say the same thing.
----------------------------------------------------
ealvarado8899 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #8
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Ah, the timeshare sales speak.

afaik though you could not trade back to Orlando. That is how it was but may have changed.

And point creep probably means the THV's are the same as some 2BR somewhere. But I know the lie you mean - they were originally sold as that when they were exactly the same points as the 2BR's at the resort they are part of, not in comparison to elsewhere.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:33 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by ealvarado8899 View Post
I think it is fair to say they are close enough, and in some cases TH is cheaper than a 2BDR if you compare apples to oranges.

i.e. TH < 2 BDR VGF

Random 1 weeknight in April is 4 points more for TH. 50 for the TH and 46 for the 2BD at SSR premium. While not equal, close enough and in idle conversation I might say the same thing.
Agreed!
Old 03-14-2019, 02:55 PM   #10
Disnydad
Two Bedroom

Not the kiosk but sat in with some friends for the sales pitch at SSR HQ a couple of years ago. When my friend brought up resales the sales lady told him to be careful because if DVC uses ROFR they would lose their deposit to the resale broker. I stepped in the got into an argument with her, but she would not back down.

Too many WDW visits to count now that I live nearby part time, 1 DL trip & 5 Disney Cruises.
Disnydad is offline   Reply With Quote