home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Disney Cruise Line
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 03-12-2019, 04:47 PM   #1
beemertec
Two Bedroom

Default Disney Dream 5 night advice needed

We set sail June 28 for a 5 night Bahamian Cruise from Port Canaveral with 2 Stops at Castaway Cay on the Dream for our first ever cruise!

I have some questions about logistics so I will list the schedule below with questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated. This is going to be an epic trip for the family.

Me, DW, DS14, DD9 (almost 10). Early dinner time.

Day 1 - We fly in on the 27th and will take ME to CCV for the night. Since we are sailing concierge, we are thinking that we want to get to the port a little early so we can get on the ship sooner.

Is that a good idea or will we just be stuck at the port?

What is the best way to get to the port from WDW? By best, I mean easiest. I am not planning to pay for a stretch limo, but I want to simple. Is it best just to UBER?

After boarding is the small plate thing at Remy worth it? I know we can only book it once on board. We were not planning to eat any other meals there.

Day 2 - Nassau - We plan to stay on the ship since Nassau doesn't interest us and it seems like a less crowded time to explore. I am guessing that we will not get bored doing this.

We are also thinking of scheduling a couples massage if they offer a discount onboard. We have one scheduled for day 5 that we can cancel if they give us a deal. When I spoke to the CM via the phone, I was told that they don't discount the massage packages. Does anyone know if this is true?

We are scheduled for the princess meet and greets this morning as well.

Day 3 - Castaway Cay - We have a family cabana and will do the 2 day rental of the floats, snorkel gear, and bikes. Any tips or hints as to where best to snorkel, bike, or float? Any must see items on the island?

Day 4 - Castaway Cay and Pirate Night - No cabana for today. I didn't get my request in at exactly midnight on the 5 days early. I thought there would be enough cabanas for all the concierge customers but was told that is not the case. They put me on a waitlist.

We did get pirate make-up sessions for the 4 of us at 5 PM so we will be ready for pirate night. Hopefully, this will be fun. Is there anywhere, in particular, we should try to be during pirate night.

Day 5 - Ultimate Indulgence package for DW and me. I am amazed at how much less it costs on the ship than at WDW. We also have Palo scheduled for dinner.

Day 6 - We are going to BLT for a few nights to finish off the week. I guess I will return via whatever method you recommend for me getting there.

What should we plan as must do or must see on the ship?

Should we book Remy for one night? I do want to eat at all three regular restaurants.

Should we book the brunch? It seemed expensive so I am not sure that it will be worth it to us. We did the CG Sunday Brunch once, and while we enjoyed the experience, we did not really find the value in it. We couldn't eat our money's worth.

We want the kids to have fun on their own, but also with us. What types of things should we try to plan to do together?

I am sure that I will think of more questions, but this should keep my fellow MO's busy for a minute! Thanks!

beemertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 02:43 AM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds like an amazing trip!

If you’d haven’t booked the Palo brunch yet, I’d do so. That said, I do greatly enjoy the California Grill Sunday brunch as well...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:27 AM   #3
AnnaS
Grand Villa

You have some wonderful plans.

Easier - I would take Uber or Disney Transportation to the port - whichever is less/and/or time with Disney transportation is good for you. We have rented a car to take us to the port/save a few $ for a family of five but it's not the "easiest" way to get there - my opinion.

I am not sure - but I don't think you can enter the port before 10:00 am? - We like to get there early and usually have an early POA time anyway. The wait will go quick and you might take some pictures with the model ship, etc.

For me, for my first cruise, I would only book one - Palo or Remy. I bet you will be cruising again before you know it.

Last edited by AnnaS; 03-13-2019 at 07:21 AM.
AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:14 AM   #4
amydevoe
One Bedroom

Day 1 - We fly in on the 27th and will take ME to CCV for the night. Since we are sailing concierge, we are thinking that we want to get to the port a little early so we can get on the ship sooner.

Is that a good idea or will we just be stuck at the port?

What is the best way to get to the port from WDW? By best, I mean easiest. I am not planning to pay for a stretch limo, but I want to simple. Is it best just to UBER?

I think concierge are allowed on the ship prior to anyone else if you are there. I would take an Uber, that way you control when you leave for the port. If you use the Disney transfers, the bus will pick you up at the resort at a designated time and each resort is different. When we left from SSR, we didn't leave until 12:30; AK we left about 11:00. I say the earlier the better!

We are also thinking of scheduling a couples massage if they offer a discount onboard. We have one scheduled for day 5 that we can cancel if they give us a deal. When I spoke to the CM via the phone, I was told that they don't discount the massage packages. Does anyone know if this is true? - this is true

Day 3 - Castaway Cay - We have a family cabana and will do the 2 day rental of the floats, snorkel gear, and bikes. Any tips or hints as to where best to snorkel, bike, or float? Any must see items on the island? - They have a designated snorkel area that has lots of 'sunken treasure' for you to see.

If you love it and want to sail again, be sure to book a placeholder cruise before you leave so you'll get the best price and a booking discount on your next cruise. Have an amazing trip! Sounds wonderful!
amydevoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:22 AM   #5
tammymacb
Add-on Aficionado

Bikes and floats etc are included in your cabana rental. No need to make those for 2 days.

Ah, memory impairment!The free prize at the bottom of every vodka bottle!
Ding, Ding, Ding! Boring story time is now over....
tammymacb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
bilzer
One Bedroom

Book the brunch and since its a short cruise, I wouldn't miss any regular dinners.

You can't really choose where you snorkel. Its a set area. You just go there with your snorkel gear and provided lifejacket and snorkel away. There are lifeguards that keep an eye on things, but its a very large area.

I think most other questions were answered. We have done 5 DCL cruises, and have been on every ship.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:13 AM   #7
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Concierge gets boarding priority. If you want to be first on the ship, get to the port before boarding begins. I would recommend a 10:30 arrival. I think boarding usually starts between 11 and 11:30? Maybe closer to 11:30?

Disney transportation will not get you to the port for first boarding. You can Uber, or you can book a town car service. A town car/SUV will be about $150 each way. Uber will be less, but beware of the size vehicle you need for a family of four plus luggage. You may be spending close to car service prices.

For the return, whether to MCO or Disney, I would just use Disney transportation. You won't save that much time with a private service.

We used Happy Limo, which went very well. I think we had a 9:30 pick-up. The only problem with early arrivals like that is that 3,000 other passengers also want to be first on the ship, so the security lines can be quite long. It took us 40 minutes to get into the building, but about 5 minutes once inside and the started calling boarding soon after. We were the first boarding group after concierge so on the ship quite early.

I'm lukewarm on Remy after having dined twice. Our first dinner was awesome. The second left us underwhelmed. I think Palo is much more worth it. I agree with not missing the dinners in the dining room, so do brunch. However, if you get a 2nd night in Royal Court (or Dream's version of it) and can get into Palo, go for it. For your kids, I wouldn't miss Animator's Palate or Tiana's.

If you like the cruise, definitely book a placeholder on board for future discounts (10% if booked within 2 years, and placeholder applied to cost).

You will not be bored staying on the ship in Nassau.

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:31 AM   #8
Boundin'
Grand Villa

Dinner in Cabanas isn't bad either for a change of pace. And you can show up when you want, dressed as you want.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

Trip reports:
Thinnly Veiled Excuse...
Turf and Surf and Turf
Sun, Sea, and Romance-Once Upon a Fantasy
Mickey's Very Merry Galactic Spectacular & NYE 17-18
The Fall of Disney 17
A Tale of Two Views 17
Back in the S.S.R. 17
Uni Hard Rock- MNSSHP - HHN 16
Spring Surprise 16
NYE in the World 15-16

Coming up...
3/2019 AoA The Smithereens***5/2019 BWV-Fantasy-PVB Western Carib***7/2019 BWV Merica's Birthday ***9/2019 BCV Beer & Wine Festival ***12/2019 VGC*** 3/2020 RCCL Southern Carib

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 10:45 AM   #9
henrycpa91
Add-on Aficionado

Remy is an amazing experience if you are a Foodie and a Winee like we are. They really have up priced it now but we still plan on doing it. I highly suggest the wine pairing if you do because it was spectacular.

If you are not a foodie, I would suggest skipping Remy.

I would suggest Remy over Palo. Palo supplied a "LOT" of food but we did not think quality was better than we can get at our local Italian upscale restaurant (admittedly, we have a great local restaurant with owners from northern Italy).

MY WDW Visits...

1973 - First Trip out of KY and used Tickets from the Today newspaper
2004 (Alex First), 2005, 2006 (Romantic), 2007,2008,2009,2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014,
2015, 2016, 2017 (Family)
henrycpa91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:35 AM   #10
BuffaloJim
Studio

Regarding transportation, here is what we just did on our Dream Cruise...

Unlike you, we spent a few pre-cruise days at Disney’s Vero Beach resort. I rented at car at MCO and we used it to travel around Vero and a side trip to the Kennedy Space Center. On the morning of the cruise I dropped the family off at the terminal and then returned the vehicle, taking their shuttle back to the cruise terminal. The whole process went extremely smoothly. On a side note, including me, there were four families on the shuttle. Three of them were from Buffalo, and the fourth was from Syracuse - everyone was down there because of our mid-winter Presidents Day week break.

After the cruise we were heading to BLT for a few WDW days. I had a few options to choose from. The cheapest was to rent a car, drive it to MCO, and then take the Magical Express to BLT. For whatever the reason, one way rentals from Port Canaveral to MCO were extremely cheap that day - probably because they needed them for one way rentals back to port. At any rate, that was the cheapest. I decided it was just too much trouble, and I really wanted to get to WDW as early as possible.

Town cars were significantly more expensive for the five of us. For the price, it just wasn’t worth it. Uber probably would have been cheaper, but you still had to worry about availability and surge pricing. I decided to rule it out.

Ultimately, we took Disney transportation to WDW for $35 a person. No doubt, it was the best choice. We got off the ship, grabbed our luggage, got on the bus, and headed to WDW. It couldn’t possibly have been any easier. I’m glad I chose it.

On another side note, transportation back to Buffalo ended up being an ordeal as well. Buffalo was having a major wind storm on Sunday and all of the flights were cancelled. The soonest Southwest could get us back was Wednesday. We ended up staying another night at BLT - the person on the phone mentioned they had a lot of cancellations because of the windstorm, otherwise there wouldn’t have been any rooms available. We took a Monday flight to Cleveland thru Atlanta, and then rented a car to head back to Buffalo. Then yesterday, Enterprise tells me that the car suffered an accident on our trip back to Buffalo with a dented quarter panel and broken taillight. They’re investigating now, but the trip back was completely uneventful - drove straight home, dropped family off, and then dropped the car off on the middle of the night. Talked to them the next morning to see if they got the car and everything was fine. We’ll see where this ends up.
BuffaloJim is offline   Reply With Quote