home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-26-2019, 03:21 PM   #1
MinnieMomofOne
Add-on Aficionado

Default Skyliners are not very pretty

I've been optimistic about the skyliners. These mostly seem like a fun ride you can do without visiting the parks to me. Then I saw this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Oqn200XAY - and realized the things are not very pretty.

Hopefully the character overlay will make this better in the final version.

Quick Links:
Amy's Disney books: Camping Disney and A Year of Disney. Both books were inspired by my Mouseowners Trip Reports. For more on the books plus blog posts, photos and videos, check out my new blog: ThemeParkBooks.
MinnieMomofOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Once they unwrap them they may look better but not likely. The white kind of blends with the sky and once unwrapped they will be bold and tacky. The wires and terminals (transformer pole thingies) are all ugly. And I still can't see how they will move a lot of people. They move fast in test mode...but once they load folks (with stroller and in scooters) it will slow down.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
2019-2020 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV/SSR / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana/ Jan 18-22 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:32 PM   #3
MMC1
Grand Villa

I think the view will make up for that.

Last night they seem to “ land” almost directly overhead of boats at Epcot... in my imagination
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #4
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinnieMomofOne View Post
I've been optimistic about the skyliners. These mostly seem like a fun ride you can do without visiting the parks to me. Then I saw this video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0Oqn200XAY - and realized the things are not very pretty.

Hopefully the character overlay will make this better in the final version.
They are painted already - they just have covers on them for now.

But I've thought the paint selection was rather cheesy. Classic Disney I guess but I think they could have done it be not be quite so jarring to look at against the sky. A nice blue or white base paint would have been nice.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamima View Post
Once they unwrap them they may look better but no likely. The wires and terminals are all ugly. And I still can't see how they will move a lot of people. They move fast in test mode...but once they load folks (with stroller and in scooters) it will slow down.
Why do think they will slow down when loaded?

The speed they move at depends on the speed the main (drive) cable moves at. Nothing at all to do with weight of the cabin. They are clamped onto the cable, not sliding along a cable as per a zip line.

As they go into the station they switch and clamp onto the cable going along the platform and around the turning wheel. This cable moves much more slowly, walking pace. Once loaded and they reach the end of the platform, they reattach to the fast moving cable and you speed right up. You will feel that happen by the way, which will come as a surprise to some no doubt. And of course youíll be heading upwards a bit too.

The speed stated in the plans was 11.6 mph along the actual lines. More slowly around the turns.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:44 PM   #6
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Why do think they will slow down when loaded?

The speed they move at depends on the speed the main (drive) cable moves at. Nothing at all to do with weight of the cabin. They are clamped onto the cable, not sliding along a cable as per a zip line.

As they go into the station they switch and clamp onto the cable going along the platform and around the turning wheel. This cable moves much more slowly, walking pace. Once loaded and they reach the end of the platform, they reattach to the fast moving cable and you speed right up. You will feel that happen by the way, which will come as a surprise to some no doubt. And of course youíll be heading upwards a bit too.

The speed stated in the plans was 11.6 mph along the actual lines. More slowly around the turns.
They don't stop to load people? I feel it will be like spaceship earth which is supposed to be moving constantly but stops for scooters to get in and such.

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
2019-2020 DVC trip(s): May 20-22 SSR / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV/SSR / Dec 19-21 CCV cabin & Dec 21-28 Vistana/ Jan 18-22 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:45 PM   #7
Shewill
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofygrl View Post
They are painted already - they just have covers on them for now.

But I've thought the paint selection was rather cheesy. Classic Disney I guess but I think they could have done it be not be quite so jarring to look at against the sky. A nice blue or white base paint would have been nice.
What colors are they ?
Shewill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:51 PM   #8
Fiveresorts
Two Bedroom

They are all different bright fun colors with characters on them. They are not ugly or tacky IMO. They have the ability to pull of the line for people that are in wheelchairs and such with no effect on the main line. There is a secondary loading unloading spot they go to when they unclamp from the line. This system is very sophisticated and most people on here are uninformed of their abilities. These have been in use in many places with great success already. Expect these to be a great transportation option. IMO way better than the busses that take forever.

What videos from Passporttotheparks. He has great videos explaining the system. They are also lightning proof and do no sway or can't be swayed.
Fiveresorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 03:53 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
They don't stop to load people? I feel it will be like spaceship earth which is supposed to be moving constantly but stops for scooters to get in and such.
Nope... though they can take a gondola off the rotation to load if needed, but as a whole it's a continual movement.
Old 02-26-2019, 03:57 PM   #10
Nickys
Grand Villa

Quote:
So as they go through the station they move at slower than walking pace. Like the People Mover but even slower. And the platforms are long, so there is plenty of time to unload on one side, then load on the other.

But at all the terminal stations, so everywhere bar Riviera, they have this unique system of a double bull wheel. So instead of a cable going around one giant cog to get the cabin from one side to the other (empty), there is also a second giant cog behind it.

Yet another cable goes around that cog. If necessary a cabin can be diverted onto this second cog. Again a totally separate cable, so it can be stopped if necessary without affecting any other cabins. Thatís where ECVs and strollers can be loaded, so they donít slow everyone else down.

Then as the cabin is loaded it switches onto the main station cable, in a gap where another one was pulled off, and then goes on itís way out of the station.

The only place this wonít happen is Riviera, since the line goes through the station. So here it will slow right down and, if necessary, I guess the whole line would need to be stopped.

But since the platform is flush with the cabin and it really is going at very slow speed, that might not even have to happen, unless you have a very inexperienced ECV driver. Certainly a stroller or wheelchair wonít be a problem, you just push it on, just as you go through a door.
Nickys is offline   Reply With Quote