home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > My Disney Experience, Magic Bands, and FastPass+
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 12:24 PM   #1
heaven2dc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default First Time Using Magic Bands

Hello!

We are finally (and hopefully) returning to WDW in October this year after waiting nine long years and this will be our first experience using Magic Bands.

My only main concern is if we would have problems if we use those cute decals that I see on Etsy and other places that cover the Mickey head part of the band. I'm sure if there would be problems, people wouldn't sell them, right?
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

I'm virtually certain it would not be a problem, but I'm not an expert.

Posting to give this piece of advice: wear them 24 hours a day.
If you don't, you risk someone forgetting theirs in the morning , or not being able to find it .

One time DGF forgot hers in the morning, and we were halfway to AK on the bus before we realized it. In that situation, go to Guest Relations, and they can very likely make a card for you that serves the same function as your Magic Band, as they did for her. It helps if you have some information to give them such as the ID number of the AP or ticket that person is using; being compulsive I am usually carrying such info. But they can probably do it regardless.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)

Last edited by erikthewise; 02-11-2019 at 12:43 PM.
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
pdude81
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by heaven2dc View Post
Hello!

We are finally (and hopefully) returning to WDW in October this year after waiting nine long years and this will be our first experience using Magic Bands.

My only main concern is if we would have problems if we use those cute decals that I see on Etsy and other places that cover the Mickey head part of the band. I'm sure if there would be problems, people wouldn't sell them, right?
Do they usually cover the puck? IIRC all the ones I've seen just cover the band and have an opening in the middle. You pick your colors from the website usually to work with them.

That being said, I don't think you'll have much or any trouble even with those stickers. At worst they might interfere with the long-range stuff like your name showing up in Small World, but for opening doors or FP the RFID data should pass right through
pdude81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:43 PM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

I have an Etsy decal right over the mickey head on the puck on my band and my daughters and they work just fine. We have used them for about 2 years [4 trips ] now...and I have two older bands that have a full vinyl wrap and they work fine as well

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 12:57 PM   #5
leo122160
Studio

Quote:
Hello!

No issue we used the decals and no problems actually received a few compliments on them. I also use the DVC slide they send to you to put on. Found that CM look for them, and remind you of various DVC perks and discounts. I also bought a DVC Magic Band for our trip in April this year -so I'm going all out DVC on the Magic Bands !!!!!

ENJOY YOUR TRIP !!!!! Nine years a long time - So you got lots to catch up on !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-11-2019, 01:03 PM   #6
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdude81 View Post
Do they usually cover the puck? IIRC all the ones I've seen just cover the band and have an opening in the middle. You pick your colors from the website usually to work with them.

That being said, I don't think you'll have much or any trouble even with those stickers. At worst they might interfere with the long-range stuff like your name showing up in Small World, but for opening doors or FP the RFID data should pass right through
Doesn't matter. Covering the puck doesn't affect it either since it's all RFID. Not even long range. You'd have to have a shield to affect it.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:09 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Holy cow!!!!

Nine years.....Welcome back! So much has changed and been added over those years.

Decals are not a problem for the magic bands.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:52 PM   #8
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Quote:
Hello!

I hope you have a great trip!!! I am just curious,,,,,for the past 9 years have you just rented your points or given them as gifts or have you been cruising with Disney Cruise Line on points or using RCI...? We often wonder what we would do long term with our points of we want to do non Disney trips.....

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 03:26 PM   #9
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Hello!

Zero issues at all. I've decorated since the start and with things that cover more than those types do.
Old 02-11-2019, 03:43 PM   #10
Jillybean315
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Hello!

You shouldn't have problems. We decorate ours every time we visit, and we have never had an issue.

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports & Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: Dec., 2013 & Dec. 2014
Boardwalk Villas: Jan., 2016 (1st DVC Visit)
Beach Club Villas & POR Riverside: Sept, 2016
Polynesian Villas & Bay Lake Tower:June, 2017
Old Key West: Jan., 2018
Split Stay Off Property & Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

Coming Soon: Beach Club: Jan., 2020

(Me) (DH) (DS age 14) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote