home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > Latest DVC News and Rumors
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 10:52 AM   #1
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Default Can a Guide be too Personal?

So, I received a questionable email from my now former guide today. Some of you may have also received the same email if we share guides. I'm also curious if it happened to anybody else from a different guide.

First, the content itself is fine - no knocks at Disney, no TMI, etc. The problem I have with it is that:
  • It came from my former guide's personal email address
  • It contains the former guide's personal contact information
  • It encourages an ongoing personal relationship and it assumes I'm part of a group of people who have been this former guide's groupies, inner circle, close firends, what have you.
  • It means my former guide has left with my contact information.

Here's the email - names and contact info redacted:

Quote:
Subject: [Name of Guide]

Dear DVC Members,

I hope this e-mail finds you all well and off to a great start to the 2019 year!

You might be wondering, why is my Disney Vacation Club guide contacting me from his personal e-mail.

I am glad that you asked. While we are part way through 2019, the year has been difficult for my family and I.

- As many of you know, on January 3rd, I lost my Dad. He lived an amazing 94 years and we were sooooo blessed to have him around that long!
- During the past 24 months I have spent considerable time traveling back and forth to visit with him … many of you followed my trips through Facebook … no one can ever take this time from me!
- Since being back in SoCal the past 5 weeks, I have taken time away from the office to get reacquainted with my family and address some lingering health matters (none serious, I might add).
- During this time, I have realized how much time I spent away from my immediate family while working for the Disney Vacation Club and supporting my member families … 70+ hours/week leaving the house at 6am and coming home after 8pm most days … missing many school events … and hearing about how the baseball game went while I was unable to attend … working almost every weekend all to support the 6,425 different member families that I love!
- Against this background, I have decided to leave the Disney Vacation Club effective immediately.

What does that mean to all of you receiving this e-mail?
- First, you will be re-assigned to a different DVC Sales Guide who will be your primary contact. So you know, you can request a specific guide who I would be happy to provide to you if you reach back to me.
- Second, we can still be friends … you can always reach me through Facebook, e-mail, or phone (###-###-####).
- Third, unfortunately you won’t hear from me when you arrive at a resort with a “Welcome Home” VM, receive a banking reminder call or birthday call or be able to see me at the Disneyland DVC Preview Center. Hopefully, your new DVC Guide will carry on my traditions!
- Finally, [spouse] and I are keeping our DVC membership so there is a good chance you might vacation with us at one of the resorts, see us at the parks, cruise with us, or take an amazing Adventure’s by Disney trip with us.

We have been blessed these past 8 years to meet so many of you in-person and look forward to being in-touch with you as we move forward.

Thank you sooooooooo much for your friendship and support … and in closing, I would like to say one last time to all of you …

WELCOME HOME my DVC member families!
I have issues with "effective immediately." That tells me there was a termination rather than a resignation, unless he waited until the last day of his notice to send this.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard from him following my CCV purchase onboard the Magic last October, so it seems that he's been too busy to do his job. Perhaps understandably.

I'm really suspicious that guides work 70 hour weeks. Maybe, maybe not. Sales is certainly a time-demanding business.

I'm intrigued by the number of households he references - it seems like each guide is probably responsible for 4000+ members. If that's the case, I could see simply calling each member to remind about deadlines and while at the resort could take tons of time. I've received these calls and they aren't recorded messages.

I don't like the possible slur against a future guide should that guide do things differently with "Hopefully he will keep up my traditions." Uhm, my first guide also did those things, so they aren't his traditions!

Anyway - just curious how this represents others' experience with their guides, and how concerned I should be that he sent this mass email out from his personal address?

Dirk

carolina_yankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:53 AM   #2
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Add-on Aficionado

i would ignore and block this guy.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #3
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
i would ignore and block this guy.
I'm debating sending the email to DVC with a question of why I'm getting this notice from my former guide's private email and why he gets to take my email info with him when he leaves.

Dirk

Old 02-11-2019, 11:05 AM   #4
Commish
One Bedroom

Default DVC Guide

First off I find the entire concept of "DVC Guide" as creepy - These are Timeshare Salespeople who are lower than a used car sales man on the salesperson prestige scale. Commission based - you are their target not friend

The e-mail is EXTREMELY bad form and likely violates employment covenants and most definitely violates Privacy Polices of Disney - Your contact information is not the Guide's personal property - Guide misappropriated from his employer

The Dead Father is playing the sympathy card.

E-mail is atrocious I would never conduct any business with this individual
Old 02-11-2019, 11:08 AM   #5
bwvBound
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
It means my former guide has left with my contact information.
This would bug me unless I was truly "close" to this individual before the separation.
bwvBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:11 AM   #6
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commish View Post
First off I find the entire concept of "DVC Guide" as creepy - These are Timeshare Salespeople who are lower than a used car sales man on the salesperson prestige scale. Commission based - you are their target not friend
I agree with everything else you wrote. On this, at least in the beginning (and was true with our first guide), the guide helped smooth out issues, advocate on your behalf if you made an error while learning the booking system, etc. Once you purchased, they were supposed to act as mentors to help you enjoy your membership. Now, most of us here never had any need for such hand holding, but that was part of the original vision for the guides.

My first guide never called with a sales pitch while I was at the resort. Instead, she called on check-in and near check-out to ask if everything was satisfactory, did I need any help with anything, etc. Obviously, no special privileges, but a nice check in. I think she did that only for our first couple of trips.

This guy in my email would just call to say "Welcome Home, isn't it great your at Disney, have a great time!" Too much cheerleader, and certainly no need to follow me after 13 years of membership!!

Dirk

Old 02-11-2019, 11:18 AM   #7
DougS
Studio

I think you made a lot of valid points, and my response would be largely based on my prior relationship with the guide:

If I regularly interacted with them on my trips, shared FB pics, etc - I'd appreciate the notice and think that I was likely in the small circle of people (s)he wanted to reach out to and inform personally. The "effective immediately", "here's my phone #", "hope to see you at the parks"; all have a different inflection. They probably waited until the last minute as to avoid contact, and wanted to try to just say "thanks and bye".

If I really only talked to him/her about business related things (buying, tours, etc); I'd see this as an obvious attempt to filch a customer to whatever new timeshare (s)he is going to work at. If this were the case, I'd DEFINITELY notify DVC.
1989 - Caribbean
2013 - Disney Cruise Line
2015 - Grand Floridian
2016 - Caribbean Beach Club
2017 - All Star Movies
2018 - CCV
2019 - AKV (April)

DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:21 AM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
I'm debating sending the email to DVC with a question of why I'm getting this notice from my former guide's private email and why he gets to take my email info with him when he leaves.

Dirk
This would bug me so much. I would be quite unhappy with this. Not sure what DVC can do at this point but I would likely report it myself.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:33 AM   #9
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

I’m sorry, but that email is just inappropriate. He should never have contacted you from his personal email unless you had, for some reason, authorized him to do so. I would report that to Disney.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #10
Commish
One Bedroom

Quote:
I agree with everything else you wrote. On this, at least in the beginning (and was true with our first guide), the guide helped smooth out issues, advocate on your behalf if you made an error while learning the booking system, etc. Once you purchased, they were supposed to act as mentors to help you enjoy your membership. Now, most of us here never had any need for such hand holding, but that was part of the original vision for the guides.

Dirk

Of course it is Disney - so I would expect nothing other than genuinely the best the industry has to offer -so perhaps a generalization that is more accurate outside the gates of the Happiest Place on Earth recall my point of reference was hearing a park DVC person explaining how you can take out a mortgage for your timeshare.

Professionally, I deal with securities offerings, private placements etc. The Privacy rules are getting quite stringent now (European GDPR as an example) - If someone is willing to break privacy rules - they break any trust or goodwill - I understand that everyone needs to put food on the table - but there is a right way and a wrong way to go about it - The e-mail you shared was a cringe worthy and a Red Flag - Avoid -

Best,

T