home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > VACATION CLUB RESOURCES > "Member Services:" Questions about Using DVC
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 02-04-2019, 02:19 PM   #1
DougS
One Bedroom

Default Rent a purple box

Hey all, new user. I checked the rules and tried to make sure this was the right place, so apologies if it's not.

The DW and I were discussing getting one of the "Rentable Purple Boxes that Owners use", and I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not the more experienced folks here think it's worth it?
DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:47 PM   #2
Daddio
Grand Villa

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougS View Post
Hey all, new user. I checked the rules and tried to make sure this was the right place, so apologies if it's not.

The DW and I were discussing getting one of the "Rentable Purple Boxes that Owners use", and I was hoping for some feedback on whether or not the more experienced folks here think it's worth it?
That really depends on your personal preferences and travel patterns. As one who frequents Disney, the use of our 4 boxes is beneficial. Not having to pack luggage every trip is a time saver, not to mention relief of frustration packing brings. No luggage to haul through airports is another big bonus. And finally, being able to keep things you wouldn’t normally bring in suitcases is a plus.

So, you really have to justify the cost vs your personal use yourself.

~ David
Daddio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 02:58 PM   #3
Simba's Mom
Grand Villa

For me, it ended up "not worth it" and I returned it. For one, I was so worried about not having the box delivered, that I ended up bringing everything every trip. By the way, the box always WAS delivered. And at the end of my trip, I never used bell services, just rolled my suitcase downstairs to RAC. The big purple box required me to call bell services. Excellent service for those who like it, but for me not necessary.
Simba's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 03:44 PM   #4
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I've often debated this. When we lived in MD, and flew down, it would have def been worth it. Now, living in NC, we drive so maybe it's not worth it. Though, I could put a small keurig in it and laundry detergent and a bottle of rum. Can you fit a single size airbed in there with all that? And can we store some spare MBs in there or would they be ruined somehow?

Also, could we ship it to SIL's room when they visit (even if we're not there...basically we share a box)?

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-31 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-11, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 04:54 PM   #5
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

We've had one for many years but I mean to cancel it. Just not worth it IMO especially because we do multiple visits. There's the annual fee if you have multiple visits you either need to pay a larger fee or per visit fee. I have an extra suitcase I could pack and bring. It rolls vs the tub that is difficult to move. And there's a lot of ways to get free checked luggage so no cost that way.
Old 02-04-2019, 05:35 PM   #6
Boundin'
Grand Villa

I just got one. I could probably do without it. It's not expensive so maybe I'll keep it for a while.

My Disney Photography https://www.flickr.com/photos/rt_images/

BCV BWV BLT VGC
Boundin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 05:36 PM   #7
DougS
One Bedroom

Thanks for all of the informative responses, they really gave me more to think about!

TBH, I expected to hear more "Heck yeah, we love it, and here's the list of stuff we can't live without!!"

Can someone clear up the etiquette on the Board for discussing vendors like this? I was non-specific in my subject and description b/c it's sometimes frowned upon on other boards, but I just noticed that they're an advertiser here?
DougS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Thanks for all of the informative responses, they really gave me more to think about!

TBH, I expected to hear more "Heck yeah, we love it, and here's the list of stuff we can't live without!!"

Can someone clear up the etiquette on the Board for discussing vendors like this? I was non-specific in my subject and description b/c it's sometimes frowned upon on other boards, but I just noticed that they're an advertiser here?
This board isn't uptight micro managers like that OTHER forum. Why I love it here!!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Aug 27-31 HHI / Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / June 7-11, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & Sept 4, 2021 NCL Pride of America
Lamima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 06:11 PM   #9
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:

A decent rule of thumb is to a link to the website. If it doesn't star out it's probably fine.

Owners Locker has been discussed before on every board I've seen.
Old 02-04-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

Owners Locker is a board sponsor. If you decide to get your purple box, maybe use the link from their Ad on our main page so that MO gets “credit” for it

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote