home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 12:52 PM   #1
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

Default NYE Trip Report- 3 Resorts, Dining, FW +

My NYE Trip Report
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE @ WDW
3 Resorts - Dining Plan (Including the New Artist Point) - Fireworks - Character Couture Makeover And A Relaxed Pace During A Busy Week

WHO IS GOING AND WHEN?
Now that our kids are older, it is really hard to find times to go to Disney together. Our son in college 5 hours away and our daughter is active in marching band and theater in high school. We really hate the heat and sunburn easily, so we don’t like to go in the summer. This year we decided to brave the crowds and against my better judgement, we planned a trip for Dec. 30 to January 5. The travel party included:

--- Me = Extreme Crazy Addicted Disney Lady
--- Husband = Fairly Crazy Addicted Disney Dude
--- Daughter = Age 15
--- Son = Just turned 21
--- Family Friend = Recently turned 21

WHERE ARE WE STAYING AND WHY?
We changed up the way we did things for this trip. We usually don’t like to do split stays, but we wanted to be able to use TOWL on Dec 30 and we wanted to be able to walk to our room from Epcot on Dec 31. So, we booked a one bedroom at BLT for Dec. 30 and on Dec. 31 we moved to a one bedroom at BW. After that we moved to SSR into a two bedroom and were thankful that the moving around was OVER!

HOW ARE WE GOING TO HANDLE CROWDS AND PARK TIME?
My theory was that the further we got away from Dec 31st, the smaller the crowds would be. So, we didn’t do a lot of park time on Dec 30 and 31. Also, this is the time frame where we were changing resorts each day, so there was not as much time to be in the parks with our really push ourselves to pack up and move quickly. We slept in each day and went to the pool. Then we went into the parks later. For the most part, I’d say it worked out well. On Dec 30, we arrived at BLT and went to the pool and then to Jock Lindsey’s at Disney Springs for a few drinks. Then we went to TOWL for a little while for chocolate cake and more drinks. That night, we did a few hours at MK. We entered the park about 9 :30pm and left at 2 am. Disney does the same fireworks on Dec 30 and Dec 31 so that worked out great for us. The MK fireworks show was AMAZING!!! We saw it just as we got off SDMT. WOW! I would have loved to see it from the front of the castle, but waiting around for HOURS to get a spot and being in a sea of people just isn’t for me. I was happy with how it worked out. Then on Dec 31, we moved from BLT to BW. We went to Epcot about 2 pm to use our FPS and had dinner at the Biergarten in Germany. I planned it so that we were in the restaurant when it actually turned midnight in Germany. That was a great tip that I learned from this forum. The food was great and the atmosphere was fun and festive with singing and dancing. I would definitely do this again. After dinner, the 21 year old went off to explore. Our daughter met up with a friend who lives locally and my husband and I went to the wine cellar in Italy. We had to wait about 40 minutes for a bar table, but we didn’t mind. The crowds were ok. It was super crowded in some spots and not so bad in others. We watched the fireworks and then walked back to our villa at the BW. I though the fireworks were great, but not as amazing as the ones at MK the night before. TIP: If you need a bathroom on New Years Eve, try the one in America. It is big and clean and not as crowded as the ones by Germany.

More to follow….

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 07-15-2019 at 02:18 PM. Reason: typo added trip report title
DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:02 PM   #2
Lamima
Add-on Aficionado

I'm in. Sounds good so far!

Owners since 2006- HHI, BWV & CCV
DVC trip(s): Sept 27-Oct 6 BWV&SSR / Dec 19-21 AKV GV & Dec 21-28 Vistana / May 9-13, 2020 HHI
Next cruise(s): July 11, 2020 HAL Amsterdam & March 8, 2021 Celebrity Reflection
Lamima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:39 PM   #3
WildGinger
Studio

Sounds fun! Thank you for the tip about Biergarten...I might have to do that!
WildGinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 02:46 PM   #4
cherene
Grand Villa

Sounds like a great trip so far! I love the purse you are carrying.
cherene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:37 PM   #5
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

WHICH PARKS AND RESTAURANTS?

Now that I’ve told you a little about the trip, I thought I’d share a quick overview of the days and plans. I will fill in more details for each day later.

Sunday Dec 30
Arrived at BLT…Went Jock Lindsey in Disney Springs….Quick Visit to Top of the World Lounge…EMH at MK to see NYE fireworks

Monday Dec 31
Swithched resorts to BW…Epcot at about 2 pm…Dinner at Biergarten….More drinks at the Italy Wine Cellar…Fireworks

Tues Jan 1
Checked in at SSR…Epcot day (again ) because of EMH that evening…Lunch with my daughter at Akershaus …dinner at Chefs de France

Wed Jan 2

my daughter for a Character Couture makeover at the Grand Floridian…Went to HWS about noon. quick service lunch at Woody’s Lunch Box with my daughter ….appetizers and drinks at the Brown Derby Lounge… Artist Point with my daughter and the guys headed to Yachtsman

Thur Jan 3
MK day…Breakfast at Be Our Guest with my daughter while the guys slept in…Met the guys at 2 pm for Lunch at Be Our Guest (Yes…twice in a six hour period…LOL) ...dinner with my daughter at Crystal Palace while the guys went to Polite Pig

Fri Jan 4

AK day…arrived at the park at about noon…used FPs and rode Flight of passage…dinner at Boma

Sat Jan 5
The guys headed home and my daughter and I did a few hours at Epcot where we had 4 hours to use 12 dining plan snack credits!

Trip Report:

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 07-15-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added info - typo
Old 01-28-2019, 03:49 PM   #6
eandjmom
One Bedroom

Looks like a lot of fun!!
eandjmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:01 PM   #7
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

HOW ABOUT THE DINING PLAN AND THE FOOD IN GENERAL?
We decided to get the dining plan for this trip. We were focusing a lot on dining for this trip. And, we didn’t want a week’s worth of expenses to get out of hand. We knew the all the food would be covered by doing it this way. My husband is a big fan of the dining plan. He’d rather pay a little more for the piece of mind that the meals are covered, and we would not have a surprise bill at the end. This is what he prefers, so I just went along with it. This was our first week long family trip in a many years so it was nice to splurge. In the past, I’ve been somewhat underwhelmed by the food at Disney restaurants, but I enjoyed it all very much this time. I’ll give more details about each restaurant as we go.

TELL ME MORE ABOUT THE TRIP!

Since we spent a lot of time moving from BLT to BW to SSR, I was glad to settle in at SSR for the last 4 nights. We had a wait list set up in hopes that we could stay at BW, but it never came thorough. That turned out fine. The room at SSR was very nice and clean and in good order. I loved the one bedroom at BLT. I loved the layout and even the style. Walking to MK is so convenient and I like using the TOWL. BW was also beautiful. We had a great view of the pool. This resort is just so elegant. And walking to Epcot was nice. Once we caught the boat over and it was wonderful. I’d stay there for this reason alone. I though the boat would make extra stops (Beach Club and other resorts…?) but it just sent directly to Epcot. I was pleasantly surprised. We love the World Showcase and the boat drops you right by the entrance.

HOW WERE THE CROWDS?
Would I suggest someone take their first trip to Disney during this time frame? No Way! But, as someone who goes often and has several future trips planned already, it worked just fine for us. On Dec 30 we went into MK so late (about 9 pm) that it was not extremely crowded. There were also EMH and I am sure that helped. On Dec 31, in the afternoon Epcot was pretty crowded and it continued into the night. Luckily, we had FPs and were interested in hanging out in the World Showcase so it was very manageable. Starting about 9 pm, the countries were crowded. The drink lines were long. I found a shop inside one of the Germany stores that was selling beer and got mine there with no wait at all. HA! My husband waited in line about 10 minutes for drinks at the cart (and for New Years Eve that probably wasn’t too bad). Everyone flooded the International Gateway exit right after the fireworks and we were tired, so we went ahead and joined the crowd. It would probably have been better to wait, but we were pooped. The 21 year old stayed later than us and had a great time. On Jan 1 Epcot was not crowded at all. On Jan 2 HWS was pretty busy. Thankfully we had FPs. One Jan 3, Mk was fairly crowded. Again, we had FPS and dining reservations at BOG for lunch and breakfast so that helped. Since we were only looking to “hit the highlights” the crowds and long lines didn’t bother us. On Jan 4, Ak was fairly crowded. Again, we had FPs so it was not too bad.

Trip Report:

Me DH DS22 DD16

Last edited by DisneyTravelers; 07-15-2019 at 02:20 PM. Reason: typo
Old 01-28-2019, 10:32 PM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Thanks for taking the time to share, looking forward to more.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 12:59 AM   #9
Jawfish
One Bedroom

Nice report, how fun!

1971 Offsite
1987 Offsite
1995 Offsite
1999 Offsite
2010 Fort Wilderness
2012 Fort Wilderness
2014 DAAR (May)
2015 Became DVC Owners
2015 PVB (Oct - 1st DVC Trip)
2016 PVB (May - Honeymoon)
2017 BLT (May - Pandora Preview)
2017 AK / PVB (Nov)
2018 PVB (Sep)
2018 Offsite (Dec)
2019 Offsite (May)
2019 SSR (Aug - SW:GE Preview)
2019 PVB (Sep)

2019 DL Cali Offsite (Oct)
2019 PVB (Dec)
2020 PVB (May)
Jawfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 04:28 AM   #10
Funantiques
Studio

How did you spend your last 12 snack credits?
Funantiques is offline   Reply With Quote