home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > JUST FOR FUN > Question of the Month
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-04-2018, 04:31 PM   #1
PennyCoach
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Smile What generous things youíve done with your points?

Itís the holiday season. Iím researching / trying to put together a story about the generous things DVC members have done with their points.

What generous things have you done with your DVC points?
PennyCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #2
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

The list is long.....

We treat our family to rooms for Disney trips often, including this year for Christmas/NYE. The two gift of rooms that standout to me is when we donated a trip to Disney for a family who's son was terminally ill, but did not qualify for the Make-A-wish foundation. The second time was for a friend and neighbor who was diagnosed with terminal cancer and had around 9 months to live. Both of those were trips of a lifetime and made memories that would last forever for the family.
Old 12-04-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
minthorne
One Bedroom

Booked my niece's week long honeymoon at BWV in Oct 2017 as their wedding gift.
minthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 04:57 PM   #4
DisneyTravelers
Grand Villa

We dont have a enough points to do huge things ....in the past few years our points were rented out a lot to pay bills and dues since my husband had several unemployment periods....the last one being 7 months long....but we have some friends who LOVE Disney and we have often been able to give them a night or two or three to extend their vacations. Once was a room at the BW during the marathon [and they were participating] so they were thrilled ... hope to be able to do more in the future

Trip Report:
The Tale of Two Trips - The Princesses & The Dudes Take On NYE
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=134143

Spring Break Trip Report / How To Beat The Crowds & Still Have FUN!
http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=64670

First Time Cruiser Trip Report http://www.mouseowners.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=87522

Me DH DS22 DD16

DisneyTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:02 PM   #5
Redhead58
Two Bedroom

I used points this year so that my sister, who is 82, could go to a DVC Moonlight Magic event at HS. She used a scooter. She had never been to WDW and it was on her bucket list. We stayed at AK savannah view because I knew she would love to see the animals.

She was so excited and it was fun to see her. She was like a little kid! She cried when we watched the Star Wars Spectacular show and gave me a huge hug. I was glad we went. She had never been to any theme park, so this must have really been impressive!

BLT
BWV
CCV
Redhead58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:15 PM   #6
disneyridleys
Grand Villa

I gifted my childhood best friend with a week at Old Key West in a two bedroom in the summer of 2017! They had never been able to go and LOVED it!
disneyridleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:17 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by minthorne View Post
Booked my niece's week long honeymoon at BWV in Oct 2017 as their wedding gift.

That reminds me......booked a gazillion rooms for our son's Disney Wedding.
Old 12-04-2018, 05:45 PM   #8
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Mostly things for family and friends. Nothing really out there. Best ones I did were taking friends to DLR and staying at GCH (before DVC there) or my best friend who since passed away - got her a week at BWV after she beat cancer the first time. It was my last time I saw her alive as the cancer came back and by then she was on the other coast.

Take my family often. Unless they get their own room I can usually tell them not to give us money at all. If they share I do let them do a meal or two... but try not to do it.

We just do 2 bedrooms totally now and invite others along.
Old 12-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #9
jsweeney
One Bedroom

We gave some friends of ours (family of 6) a week at BRV so their kids, all 6 and under at the time, could do Disney for the first time!
2007: Boardwalk GV
2007-2011: Annual trips to Night of Joy
2010: Port Orleans to run Disney Half Marathon
2014: Day trip to all parks with siblings
2017: Fort Wilderness w/DW for first time
2018: VGC - first trip to DL!
2018: Aulani!
2018: Weekend at BWV
2019: SSR weekend
Sept 2019: SSR week

Me: Jimmy , DW
jsweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 07:59 PM   #10
luaulei321
Add-on Aficionado

We used developer points to book a room for my brother-in-law and his now ex-wife at the Grand Californian Hotel (before VGC opened) so that they could come to Disneyland with us.

When my younger sister graduated from college, we gifted her 5 nights in a studio at VGC so that she could see the Christmas decorations at Disneyland with her boyfriend. That encompassed her gifts for birthday and Christmas that year, too.

We booked 2 nights at BCV this year as a gift to my parents for providing us with free babysitting service (my mom watches our youngest while we are working during the week). This allowed them to extend an existing trip where they were staying at BLT. Obviously not equivalent to the help they provide us, but we appreciate them nonetheless.

Weíve used extra points to book larger rooms so that our family can join us on trips. My parents and younger sister will be joining us as our guests in a 2 bedroom unit at VGC in the near future.