home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 12-04-2018, 02:26 PM   #1
ffstreetdoc
Waiting to pass ROFR (i.e., n00b)

Default DAH Flop

We were so excited our planned trip had a DAH night added. We have been to DAH previously and know how awesome it is. We attended last night with specific plans in mind and a pretty good strategy to keep from crossing the park too many times. We added late evening FP+ so we could hit PPF, SDMT and BTMRR. Well PPF and SDMT both went down so our FP+ changed to "Multiple attraction FP" PPF came back up so we used one for that. SDMT remained closed until after the transition to DAH and several hours after that. So we ended up not even using one FP+.

Obviously one of the best things about DAH, and what makes it worth the $$$ to do it is the short lines for rides like SDMT and SM. Well SDMT stayed down until around 11:30. We got in line just as it opened, rode once. As we were coming off it was clear word was out, Seemed like everyone in the park poured into SDMT pushing the wait to a quick 30 min. We figured that is still better than 90 lol, got back in line. Waited 15 min in line to hear the dreaded words. "Sorry folks we are down for technical issues". And that was the end of SDMT for our night. Not sure it ever came back up.

The other plan we had was for me to ride SM to verify it was tame enough for my wife, she loves coasters but has a limit to what she can do. EE is too fast for her but I think SM will be OK. I have ridden SM at DL 100 times but that was 20+ years ago lol. So I figure walk on ride, test for her. If it is a no go we only wasted 10 min doing it. NOPE... SM closed all night.

I know Disney can not control things like this. But it sure made for a let down for our night.

We will try again in January
ffstreetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 02:30 PM   #2
Goofygrl
Add-on Aficionado

That's tough when 2 of the main interests in paying for a special event aren't operational.
Old 12-04-2018, 02:59 PM   #3
Nickys
Grand Villa

Everything I have read says Space at WDW is wayyyy jerker than at DL. “They slowed it down but it’s a pretty bumpy ride” is what I keep hearing.

Which is why I keep wussing out of it. Rode it once and swore never again!
Nickys is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:05 PM   #4
Joeli
One Bedroom

I had been on SM a few months ago, and I guess I didnt notice how "jerkie" it was but when I rode it again before thanksgiving, twice during the ride I was like "OWW that hurt"...my back was a bit sore from "stress" but man did I feel it during this ride. Not so sure how quickly I want to get back on it.

Upcoming:
Jun 2019 - BWV
Mar 2019 - PVB
Feb 2019 - BRV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:09 PM   #5
DVCERSINCEDAY1
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffstreetdoc View Post

I know Disney can not control things like this. But it sure made for a let down for our night.
it's disney's job to control things like this. they should have done refunds for all and/or other compensation.

Barb & Family (Darcy, Belle, Rose, Joey, Black Jack, and Chippy )
DVCERSINCEDAY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:11 PM   #6
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Ugh.....sorry to read this. On our last trip, we had bad luck with our fastpass selections not working out because of mechanical breakdowns/closures. It worked out in the end cause we then got fastpass to use on any ride, and park in its place. Some of those closures were mid-tier rides that we ended up getting top-tier rides in their place.
Old 12-04-2018, 03:12 PM   #7
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeli View Post
I had been on SM a few months ago, and I guess I didnt notice how "jerkie" it was but when I rode it again before thanksgiving, twice during the ride I was like "OWW that hurt"...my back was a bit sore from "stress" but man did I feel it during this ride. Not so sure how quickly I want to get back on it.

Yup.....still jerky. I need to make sure I am sitting up straight when I ride it, otherwise I might get a sore back........getting old sucks!
Old 12-04-2018, 03:13 PM   #8
YMMDVCer
Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickys View Post
Everything I have read says Space at WDW is wayyyy jerker than at DL. “They slowed it down but it’s a pretty bumpy ride” is what I keep hearing.

Which is why I keep wussing out of it. Rode it once and swore never again!
I've done SM at DL a few times but along time ago. Did SM at WDW last year and I was laughing the whole time on how pitch black and jerky it was. Someone with spinal concerns might need to see a chiro after lol. Ill definitely do it again, but it was hilarious how rough it was.
YMMDVCer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 03:22 PM   #9
ssconner
Studio

SM wrecks my neck. I'll prob ride it like once a year (guess I hope it gets better or forget how bad it is), but halfway through I'm clutching my neck and cringing. Lots of fun ride pictures of me holding my neck lol.

I would be less than thrilled if an event I paid a premium for did not allow my chiropractor the opportunity for an office visit when I got home!
ssconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #10
Mickeyfan0805
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVCERSINCEDAY1 View Post
it's disney's job to control things like this. they should have done refunds for all and/or other compensation.
I agree. Things happen and rides go down. But if multiple main attractions are down for the vast majority of a ticketed event, they need to do something to help account for that in the guest experience.

Back in July we had a similar experience. After a 720 mile drive towing at 35' travel trailer, we made a late evening trip over to TSL. Our only reason for going was that we had arranged a fp for Swirling Saucers (any other opportunity would have required standby waiting). Long story short, we got in the fp line, only to stand there endlessly because only half of the ride was working. Then, after 40 minutes in a fp line, the second side broke and the ride went down completely. It was now 15 minutes until closing and they handed us an 'anytime, any ride' fp that was only good for that day and could not be used on any other TSL rides. So, with 15 minutes left in the park, they gave us a fp that was only good on rides with minimal waits, in completely other sectors of the park, that were about to shut down anyway. The fp's ended up in the trash, and our arrival day was not a good one! Disney usually does, and should, do better than that!