home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Theme Parks
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 11-07-2018, 09:59 PM   #1
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Default Call from DVC

I just received a phone call from Member Services about my January trip to BLT. That was really pleasant. I did not know that DVC does stuff like that.

I spoke with Maxwell. He asked me if he could help me with anything regarding my upcoming trip. I told him I am concerned about the Disney web site. Quite often it will say that my plans and reservations are unavailable. Since my fast pass window opens on November 9, I do need to be able to get in there and make my ride reservations.

Maxwell told me that he would check with Disney IT and call me back. He did so ten minutes later. He said that Disney IT is working on the problem, and he recommended using the smartphone app to make my fast pass reservations if the web site is acting up.

I also asked him three questions. I have to say he sounded very confident and knowledgeable as he answered.

Q: Will the monorail system be refurbished and/or the trains replaced anytime soon?

A: The section of Disney that deals with transportation is completely focused on the gondola system at the moment. Once the gondolas are completed, Disney will focus on the monorail system.

Q: The Magic Kingdom railroad is being taken off line soon. Is this temporary or will the Magic Kingdom trains shut down permanently?

A: The Magic Kingdom railroad will absolutely come back. No doubt.

Q: Rafiki's Planet Watch is being closed for refurbishment and will open again on a seasonal basis. What are the seasonal dates during which it will be open once the refurbishment is complete?

A: There is not yet any information available on the seasons during which Planet Watch (Conservation Station) will be open.

Have other Mouse Owners had similar conversations? What kinds of questions did you ask?
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #2
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Iíve received that call a couple times, never bothered asking anything, though.

Nice questions, the second and third responses I certainly believe to be accurate. The first, definitely hopeful...
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:08 PM   #3
brp
Add-on Aficionado

What great questions!

Cheers.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:56 AM   #4
AnnaS
Grand Villa

I have received the calls but I have not been home for any of them. Message left. Have not had a need to call them back.

It is a nice touch.
May 2019 - OKW

AnnaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:29 AM   #5
carolina_yankee
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
I just received a phone call from Member Services about my January trip to BLT. That was really pleasant. I did not know that DVC does stuff like that.

I spoke with Maxwell. He asked me if he could help me with anything regarding my upcoming trip. I told him I am concerned about the Disney web site. Quite often it will say that my plans and reservations are unavailable. Since my fast pass window opens on November 9, I do need to be able to get in there and make my ride reservations.

Maxwell told me that he would check with Disney IT and call me back. He did so ten minutes later. He said that Disney IT is working on the problem, and he recommended using the smartphone app to make my fast pass reservations if the web site is acting up.

I also asked him three questions. I have to say he sounded very confident and knowledgeable as he answered.

Q: Will the monorail system be refurbished and/or the trains replaced anytime soon?

A: The section of Disney that deals with transportation is completely focused on the gondola system at the moment. Once the gondolas are completed, Disney will focus on the monorail system.

Q: The Magic Kingdom railroad is being taken off line soon. Is this temporary or will the Magic Kingdom trains shut down permanently?

A: The Magic Kingdom railroad will absolutely come back. No doubt.

Q: Rafiki's Planet Watch is being closed for refurbishment and will open again on a seasonal basis. What are the seasonal dates during which it will be open once the refurbishment is complete?

A: There is not yet any information available on the seasons during which Planet Watch (Conservation Station) will be open.

Have other Mouse Owners had similar conversations? What kinds of questions did you ask?
Now, that's taking advantage of an opportunity! Are you a reporter in real life?

I'm surprised he gave such a specific answer regarding the gondolas and monorail. I would have expected a "that's a different department" or "Disney is always evaluating its operational needs and making plans or the future." Good to know!

Now, let's hope that Disney told him what's actually happening. They change their minds at the drop of a hat!

Dirk
Old 11-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #6
Mass Transit
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_yankee View Post
Now, that's taking advantage of an opportunity! Are you a reporter in real life?

I'm surprised he gave such a specific answer regarding the gondolas and monorail. I would have expected a "that's a different department" or "Disney is always evaluating its operational needs and making plans or the future." Good to know!

Now, let's hope that Disney told him what's actually happening. They change their minds at the drop of a hat!

Dirk
Or the CMs are told to read the tone of the caller and make something up
Old 11-08-2018, 11:04 AM   #7
erikthewise
Add-on Aficionado

Let's just hope these calls are not made by bus drivers during midday slow times.
Although the answer re monorails makes all the sense in the world.

Charter Member of OOO (Order Of the Oval)
erikthewise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:23 PM   #8
Sephorin
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Iíve received that call a couple times, never bothered asking anything, though.

Nice questions, the second and third responses I certainly believe to be accurate. The first, definitely hopeful...
I hope so. Even if this gentleman knows what he is talking about, Disney can always change its mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brp View Post
What great questions!

Cheers.
Thanks! I actually had about ten minutes between his first and second phone calls, which gave me time to think them up.

Quote:
Nopes. These are just some items that are of particular interest to me and my family. My wife made a random comment to me a few months ago: "You know I would really like to ride one of those old steam powered trains some day."

I know I gave her a weird look when I replied, "You know they have one of those at Magic Kingdom, right?"

Her response: "What? Really? Wow!"

Then last month I had to tell her that the train is shutting down for two years right before our next trip.

Quote:

Dirk
I was surprised also. Before I asked him anything, I gave him an out by saying something like "You may not be able to answer these, but I'd like to ask anyway." It might be that I just got lucky with this particular cast member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Transit View Post
Or the CMs are told to read the tone of the caller and make something up
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikthewise View Post
Let's just hope these calls are not made by bus drivers during midday slow times.
Although the answer re monorails makes all the sense in the world.
I had the same thought. Hard to know if he does in fact have access to all of this information or not. If he was making it up, he did an extremely convincing job, though. I'm pretty sure he was being forthright with the information that he had. (For example, he said he did not know yet about the seasonal opening for Rafiki's Planet Watch. He could have just made something up instead.)

Anyway, I'm going to be sure to ask some more questions if I get a call for my next two trips as well.
Sephorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 03:38 PM   #9
helenabear
Add-on Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephorin View Post
I had the same thought. Hard to know if he does in fact have access to all of this information or not. If he was making it up, he did an extremely convincing job, though. I'm pretty sure he was being forthright with the information that he had. (For example, he said he did not know yet about the seasonal opening for Rafiki's Planet Watch. He could have just made something up instead.)

Anyway, I'm going to be sure to ask some more questions if I get a call for my next two trips as well.
Also keep in mind that CMs are also told to be quiet about certain things. As in they are no allowed to say truths until the real info is out.

Cool you got a call though. I don't think I've ever gotten one.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:06 PM   #10
mustinjourney
Grand Villa

With respect to the monorails, my understanding was that they already ordered the new ones after the open door incident (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vc92DYhuK-o).

https://wdwnt.com/2018/04/rumor-new-...-disney-world/

Quote:
Apparently, the now-infamous door incident on Monorail Red in early January was the main impetus behind the decision. Video taken by a passenger showed one of the doors on the monorail wide open while passengers were on board traveling to the Epcot station
We have also been told that the abrupt cancellation of the broadway-style Main Street Theater was necessary to free up some of the funds needed for the new monorail fleet. This makes a lot of sense, since the theater was confirmed by Bob Chapek last July at the D23 Expo, and work actually started on the project in October, only to be rumored to be cancelled in February (barely a month after the door incident), and finally removed from the Walt Disney World Whatís New webpage earlier this month.
mustinjourney is offline   Reply With Quote