home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP REPORTS > Trip Reports
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-26-2018, 10:32 PM   #1
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Default Poly/ AKL Split Stay- First WDW Trip

Hello! We are Disneyland veterans (Currently visit twice a month) but have never been to Disney World. We have been DVC members for over 3 years but have always used our points at the VGC. With some helpful tips from MO and the internet, I’ve put together a pretty solid trip and will post back how it all went

Cast: Myself, DW, DS (6) and DD (4)

Current Plan

Day 1: Resort Day
- Fly into MCO at 6:00am.
- Check in at Animal Kingdom (Savannah view studio) and drop off our carry ons
- Head over to kuamasha breakfast at Sanaa
- Hang out at the resort until we get picked up at 10:30 for a Tour of the Copper Creek Cabins. I want to see the cabins and we want the 3 extra fast passes
- Hoping they will drop us off at Disney Springs after the tour for lunch and hoping to eat at Chicken Guy.
-Will most likely explore DS until our room is ready
- Dinner reservation at Sanaa

Day 2: Resort Day
- Breakfast: open (maybe go back to Sanaa for kids Mickey waffles & coffee for us)
- Lunch: Boathouse reservation
- Drop kids off at 5pm at Contemporary for Pixar Play Zone
- Private dining at the Grand Floridian while kids are at PPZ
- Pick up kids and head over to Top of the World Lounge for fireworks
- Go back to room and call bell services to schedule pickup for morning

Day 3: Hollywood Studios
- Breakfast in the room
- Take bus over to Hollywood Studios and rope drop SDD
- Maybe lunch in TSL
- Dinner: Minnie’s Halloween Dinner @ Hollywood & Vine- Fantasmic Package
- Take bus back to Poly (Standard view but requested Tokelau) at the end of the night

Day 4: MNSSHP
- Breakfast in the room
- Trader Sams before the Halloween Party?
- Lunch: Kona Cafe 12:15pm
- Enter MK at 2pm for the Halloween Party
- Dinner: Quick Service, whatever we are close to when we get hungry

Day 5: Magic Kingdom
- Breakfast in the room
- Lunch: Sleepy Hollow
- First time haircut for DD (4) at the barber shop on Mainstreet
- Dinner: Quick service, whatever we are close to when we get hungry

Day 6: Resort day
- Breakfast in the room
- Pool time
- Dinner at Ohana
- Top of the world lounge for fireworks

Day 7: Resort day/check out and fly home
- Breakfast in the room
- Pool time
- Lunch: Chef Mickeys
- Take tragical express to MCO
- Fly home

Check out my disney photography
https://www.instagram.com/the.disney.couple/?hl=en

Last edited by The.disney.couple; 11-08-2018 at 03:21 AM.
The.disney.couple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 10:56 PM   #2
ajc
Grand Villa

- Breakfast in the room

might I recommend Columbia Harbor House for lunch at MK (indoors with upstairs seating and good mix of food options).
Your itinerary didn't reference the parks much (is there a reason?)
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc View Post
- Breakfast in the room

might I recommend Columbia Harbor House for lunch at MK (indoors with upstairs seating and good mix of food options).
Your itinerary didn't reference the parks much (is there a reason?)
Funny you mentioned Columbia Harbor House, we ended up eating there on that day and it was great! it was hot that day and it was nice to get into the AC with the kids.

We are park commando's so we go rope drop until closing and by closing I mean 2 hours after closing

So we thought 3 days at the parks and 3 days at the resorts would be a good mix and give us an idea if Disney world was for us. We wanted to experience WDW as a whole and not just the parks as we live 90 minutes from Disneyland. We wanted to check out several resorts and get a feel for navigating everywhere as we're thinking of adding on at another wdw resort.

Old 10-27-2018, 08:10 AM   #4
disneymomof2
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
We wanted to check out several resorts and get a feel for navigating everywhere as we're thinking of adding on at another wdw resort.
Annnnd..... what did you think? You did a good mix of resorts and dining. Great that you toured CCV! We did that on our last trip too. And the FP are certainly a nice perk!

Which resort would you consider adding on at?

ME DH DS20 DD17
disneymomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 06:12 PM   #5
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneymomof2 View Post
Annnnd..... what did you think? You did a good mix of resorts and dining. Great that you toured CCV! We did that on our last trip too. And the FP are certainly a nice perk!

Which resort would you consider adding on at?
We loved WDW! Like absolutely loved it. I would say that Disneyland and California adventure have the better rides for sure compared to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood studios (Cant speak for AK and epcot), especially when you're comparing apples to apples (Haunted Mansion, POTC, TOT, Small world, etc.) We did love Rocking roller coaster and 7 dwarfs mine train and wish we had those on the west coast. We felt that WDW was much more immersive as a whole and the theming of the resorts felt like you were actually where the resort was themed for (Poly, CCV, AKL, VGF, etc) because there was nothing else in sight. I absolutely love the lush greenery everywhere that makes it feel like you are at this magical place in the middle of nowhere. At the Disneyland resort you are surrounded by gas stations, markets, houses (old ones too) and walking back to your hotel (off property) has zero magic to it, I mean there are homeless people everywhere on you're way back to the room. It is not the best part of Anaheim. You cannot beat the boat ride from Poly to Magic Kingdom, It's truly amazing.

We had been thinking of adding on more points at Poly, or a separate contract at BLT (because you can walk), VGF (because Duh), CCV (because it reminds us of home VGC, AKL (because sells cheap and kids love animals) or wait for Riviera (to have an opposite location of Poly and easily get to Epcot or HS). But we had never been to WDW so we didn't want to buy another resort without seeing it in person like we did with Poly (we got lucky with Poly) After our first trip I think we have narrowed it down to CCV direct or VGF resale.

Last edited by The.disney.couple; 10-28-2018 at 12:31 AM.
Old 10-27-2018, 07:48 PM   #6
ajc
Grand Villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.disney.couple View Post
We loved WDW! Like absolutely loved it. I would say that Disneyland and California adventure have the better rides for sure compared to Magic Kingdom and Hollywood studios (Cant speak for AK and epcot), especially when you're comparing apples to apples (Haunted Mansion, POTC, TOT, Small world, etc.) We did love Rocking roller coaster and 7 dwarfs mine train and wish we had those on the west coast. We felt that WDW was much more immersive as a whole and the theming of the resorts felt like you were actually where the resort was themed for (Poly, CCV, AKL, VGF, etc) because there was nothing else in sight. I absolutely love the lush greenery everywhere that makes it feel like you are at this magical place in the middle of nowhere. At the Disneyland resort you are surrounded by gas stations, markets, houses (old ones too) and walking back to your hotel (off property) has zero magic to it, I mean there are homeless people everywhere on you're way back to the room. It is not the best part of Anaheim. You cannot beat the boat ride from Poly to Magic Kingdom, It's truly amazing.

We had been thinking of adding on more points at Poly, or a separate contract at BLT (because you can walk), VGF (because Duh), CCV (because it reminds us of home VGC, AKL (because sells cheap and kids love animals) or wait for Riviera (to have an opposite location of Poly and easily get to Epcot or HS). After our first trip I think we have narrowed it down to CCV direct or VGF resale.
EIther resort has a boat ride and VGF is a small resort (think hard to book studios) with a little distance to the monorail but close enough to the boat launch (and more direct for your home return IMHO). We love WL and all the theming so we bought BRV, but CCV is a great contender.

Last edited by ajc; 10-27-2018 at 08:24 PM.
ajc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 08:44 PM   #7
Jedimom3
Grand Villa

Sounds like a great trip. Glad you loved WDW so much!!!
Jedimom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:05 AM   #8
Brian5581
Add-on Aficionado

Sounds like an excellent trip, indeed. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Brian5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 01:30 AM   #9
The.disney.couple
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedimom3 View Post
Sounds like a great trip. Glad you loved WDW so much!!!
Yes, it was amaazing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian5581 View Post
Sounds like an excellent trip, indeed. Looking forward to hearing more about it.
Hoping to post day 1 and pictures tomorrow!

Old 10-28-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Jillybean315
One Bedroom

Sounds like you guys had a great trip! So glad you enjoyed WDW! I totally agree about the resorts being completely immersive. We have been debating a DL Trip, but we love WDW so much that we havenít quite hit that point where we have the urge to go out west. We will someday, though!

Disney Trips:
POR-Riverside: June, 2011
Off Proprety: June, 2012
All Star Movies: December, 2012
All Star Sports: June, 2013
Wilderness Lodge: June, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2013
Coronado Springs: December, 2014
Boardwalk Villas: January, 2016
Beach Club Villas: September, 2016
POR-Riverside: October, 2016
Polynesian Villas:June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Bay Lake Tower: June, 2017 (Split Stay)
Old Key West: January, 2018

Upcoming: Saratoga Springs: June, 2019

(Me) (DH) (DS age 13) (DD age 11)

Jillybean315 is offline   Reply With Quote