home News forums Reviews Trade links

Go Back   The DVC Boards at MouseOwners.com - the place to talk DVC and Walt Disney World > TRIP PLANNING > Vacation Planning and Trip Countdowns
 Register FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 10-10-2018, 07:39 AM   #1
Joeli
One Bedroom

Default Tipping?

So, trying to get a gauge...when staying at DVC resort on points do you tip the mousekeeper/housekeeper before the end or at the end of your stay?

I am not judging, just curious. I personally have not...just never think about it. I realize that now they come into the room more often then before. On our last trip the housekeeeper in passing mentioned that she would not be working on the day we were checking out, so DW and I realized why she was telling us.

Anyone else run into this? Do you tip, and if so how are you gauging the amount?

Upcoming:
Jun 2019 - BWV
Mar 2019 - PVB
Feb 2019 - BRV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 07:57 AM   #2
babysimba
Two Bedroom

We always tip at the end of our stay. I have heard that some hotels will not allow housekeeping to take cash until the day a guest checks out, because the cash could just be money the guest has set down and not intended for a tip.

However, we had a fantastic housekeeper at one of our stays. My husband and I were afraid she would not receive the tip when we checked out, so we put cash in the envelope and handed it to her as we were heading out to the parks one morning.
babysimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:21 AM   #3
Joeli
One Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by babysimba View Post
We always tip at the end of our stay. I have heard that some hotels will not allow housekeeping to take cash until the day a guest checks out, because the cash could just be money the guest has set down and not intended for a tip.

However, we had a fantastic housekeeper at one of our stays. My husband and I were afraid she would not receive the tip when we checked out, so we put cash in the envelope and handed it to her as we were heading out to the parks one morning.
I hear what you are saying, and I will probably setup an envelope with cash and throw it in my knapsack before we head to our next trip and then just base the amount of money on how the housekeeper is. Quick question, were you also tipping before the housekeepers were coming into the room daily for trash?

Upcoming:
Jun 2019 - BWV
Mar 2019 - PVB
Feb 2019 - BRV
Jan 2019 - DCL Magic - Miami - Marvel day at Sea

Done:
2018 (Jan, May, June, Aug, Sept, Nov) - DCL Fantasy - Orlando - Star Wars day at Sea, BLT, Swan x 2, Hilton Bonnet Creek, BWV/AKV (Kidani), Swan
2017 (Jan, May, Oct) - VGF, BLT, BRV
2016 (Feb, May) - PVB, BRV/BWV
2015/2014 (Sept) - BCV, AoA (Little Mermaid/Nemo/Lion King)

Joeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
tink711
Add-on Aficionado

We always tip at the end of the stay and I leave a little thank you note with it so the mouse keeper knows it is for her/him. We generally do splits and are not in the room for more than 3 or 4 nights, but in the past if we stayed in the room for longer I have left tip with note on the 4th day T&T and they took it so I assume the note is the way to go to tip mid-stay.

We’ve only been once since they started the trash every day thing. At both resorts (SSR and CCV) it was just a quick grab trash and leave thing, I just did the same thing I always did of tipping when we leave.

Always dreaming of my next visit ...

tink711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM   #5
tomandrobin
DVC Board Guide

We always tip Mousekeeping at the end of our trip. If we have an extra need, like asking for additional towels or some other "extra" task.....I will tip for that service.

Yes, our maintenance fees pays for Mousekeeping services. We tip for other services that are above and beyond someones salary, like the bell service, DME drivers, bar servers, etc.....so why not the cleaning staff too?
Old 10-10-2018, 09:04 AM   #6
ermindy1133
Add-on Aficionado

Mousekeeping is one of those gray areas for me, at least on the DVC side. I’m going to admit that I tip them much better on the cash side when they are actually in the room daily cleaning and straightening things.
For DVC stays, we also do a lot of split stays. Unless we need something from them specifically, we may not even encounter Mousekeepers. And if we are going to be there multiple days, we normally decline T&T because we take care of those things ourselves. If we encounter someone who is really helpful, we make sure that we tip that mousekeeper personally. Otherwise, a generic tip and a “thanks everyone” is left in the room when we check out. I haven’t changed my practice because of a quick, sometimes daily trash grab.
The other thing that I do, pretty much across the board, is take names of anyone in any area who really gives us great service. I addition to a tip, (if they are in a position that allows tipping) when we get home, I write thank you notes and send them to the hotel manager, park manager, etc and let them know how much we appreciated Nichelle, Carolyn, or Jimmy. I’ve actually gotten phone calls from the management teams to follow up on a thank you card. I was told that the CM’s receive special recognition for that.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 AM   #7
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

We leave a tip every day that we are there. On both the cash side and if we are using our points now that they are doing the trash every day. I have no idea what the Mouskeeping CMs workweek is so I want to make sure that whoever is there doing the work that day gets the tip.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:13 AM   #8
capeokw56
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermindy1133 View Post
The other thing that I do, pretty much across the board, is take names of anyone in any area who really gives us great service. I addition to a tip, (if they are in a position that allows tipping) when we get home, I write thank you notes and send them to the hotel manager, park manager, etc and let them know how much we appreciated Nichelle, Carolyn, or Jimmy. I’ve actually gotten phone calls from the management teams to follow up on a thank you card. I was told that the CM’s receive special recognition for that.
That is true. I know because I filled out a card at the Main Street Guest Services for the OKW day manager, Vickie Johnson, who really took care of us after we had an incident.
I took the time to follow up with her directly about a month later and she told me that she did get recognized by her boss. It seemed to me that she really appreciated the gesture and it only took ten minutes of our time to do this for her.
People are always quick to complain when something goes wrong but they are slow to recognize/compliment when things go well. I try to not be one of those people.

Last edited by capeokw56; 10-10-2018 at 09:21 AM.
capeokw56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:19 AM   #9
MMC1
Grand Villa

Thanks for the reminder since lately I have been forgetting simply because I usually do not have a $5 or $4... and that is not a good excuse.

Last edited by MMC1; 10-16-2018 at 05:41 PM.
MMC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
FessParker1
Two Bedroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomandrobin View Post
We always tip Mousekeeping at the end of our trip. If we have an extra need, like asking for additional towels or some other "extra" task.....I will tip for that service.

Yes, our maintenance fees pays for Mousekeeping services. We tip for other services that are above and beyond someones salary, like the bell service, DME drivers, bar servers, etc.....so why not the cleaning staff too?
We do the same. Our last trip was a split booking in the same room. Housekeeping was there willing to change over the entire room after only one night. We switched out the towels and said everything was fine. We also add on a tip for delivery service from instacart when placing our order.
FessParker1 is offline   Reply With Quote